2008 TMEA Honor Band

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from the Region 20 listening, so those results are now up!

From the two regions that I have heard myself, I would have Duncanville 1st followed by Marcus and Coppell in a tight race for 2nd. Marcus and Coppell could switch places depending on the preferences of the judges. I liked Marcus' Prague better than Coppell's, but I like Coppell's School for Scandal better than Marcus' Tunbridge Faire.

Xenon -

While your presence at the TMEA Honor Band listening sessions is undeniable - one has to question the level of attention given to the actual performances when mistakes are made in the reporting of your opinions. In a post that you made - you compare Coppell High School's performance of School for Scandal with Marcus High School's performance of Tunbridge Faire. I was in attendance at Flower Mound at the listening session, and I hate to report that you never heard Tunbridge Faire. What you heard (and was announced by the recording engineer) was Bach's Toccata, Adagio, and Fugue.

UIL Forms is a great resource to find out what everyone is playing at UIL, but it certainly is not an accurate account of what everyone puts on their honor band tape. Mistakes happen. I personally don't mind one way or the other, because I was able to attend and enjoy the performances of all the schools for myself, but many people look to these forums for accurate information and accounts of these events.

To confuse a piece written in 1950 by an American composer named Walter Piston that lasts about 5:00 with a piece written in 1708 by a German composer named J.S Bach that lasts about 15:00 is a little scary. I don't mean the tone of this to be rude - just concerned. It just makes one think that you may not have been giving your full attention to the listening as one would hope when they read your accounts of the performances. Thank you for the service you provide all of the readers of this forum but please strive to provide us all with reliable information in the process. Thanks!

-Band Enthusiast

Bandnerd,

Thank you for pointing this out. You are right in many ways; I pulled my information from UIL Forms for the 5As before the competition, and didn't really pay close enough attention to the announcer who tended to announce both very fast and unclearly. Not being familiar with either piece, I did note that the style wasn't at all what I expected, and then failed to later go back and confirm all the pieces. I will attempt to be more accurate in the future.

I do assure you, though, that I was listening quite carefully to the performances themselves and most of my complaints (no matter how well done, there are always complaints) on those two pieces were technical in basis. And although I am by no means a professional judge, I was quite pleased that my personal scorings at both Regions 24 and 20 actually exactly matched the final outcomes in all of the categories except for 24's CCs. I should probably also note in my posts that all of my commentary is purely my non-TMAA certified opinion and that my day job has nothing to do with music.

Also, I may sometimes look like I'm asleep or inattentive while I'm listening, but that is merely me shutting out the rest of the world and focusing solely on the music. ;)

I haven't seen any of those results, but http://ThirdDivision.org might be your best bet.

The Honor Orchestra process is completely different than the band process. The whole thing is done in two rounds state wide. The first round's results narrow it to a field of 6 and then the top 6 are ranked and announced at TODA (immediately after TBA). Nothing is made public about any results until then.

Also, I may sometimes look like I'm asleep or inattentive while I'm listening, but that is merely me shutting out the rest of the world and focusing solely on the music. ;)

Sure you are...like in 2005 at the Super Regional during a certain band's performance about art?

OHHHHH okay.

THAT MAKES SENSE!!!!!

hahaha... Sorry, it's summer, my brain doesn't work at all.

Okay... Now that I've read... my thoughts on the middle schools really quickly

Ballinger MS is great to see up there. That's where my cousins go to school, and two of them are in the beginner program there, so it's nice to see that the program is going.

And in Region 24, I'm upset to see that Wester MS didn't make it in. That's where my little brother goes, and I heard the recording they submitted... or were going to submit... I'm not sure if they actually sent it in or not, but what they had was actually VERY VERY impressive for just a middle school.

But then again, I'm not surprised to see Fowler MS up there. The director there was previously director at Clark Middle school, which is one of the feeder schools to our high school, and 98% of the Wind Ensemble here at Centennial were under his direction at Clark.

Edited by borchnork

Oh wow.....I was browsing the TMEA Honor Band archive and I just noticed Spring HS has made 'top 5' at 6 of the 9 previous HB competitions and they still have yet to win a title. Wow, I DO hope they win it this time....but with Area D being as strong as it is this year, even their appearance in the final round is not as assured as it usually is. D-ville, Coppell, G-town and CP all have the potential to knock them out of the running. It'd still be great if they won though.