2008 TMEA Honor Band

hmm interesting results from region 3, I guess Canton is only good at marching,

That's not a fair statement. Canton was #2 at the 3A State Honor Band listening two years ago. It is really surprising that they didn't make it out of the region this year.

Edit: Added Region 10 Results.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not a fair statement. Canton was #2 at the 3A State Honor Band listening two years ago. It is really surprising that they didn't make it out of the region this year.

Edit: Added Region 10 Results.

I'm not sure that they submitted a tape for honor band this year. It may just have been a bad year for them concert band wise.

Area D: Monday June 23rd - Willis HS - 10:00AM (time tentative)

AAAAA Bands competing:

Cedar Park HS

Coppell HS

Duncanville HS

Georgetown HS

Round Rock HS

Spring HS

The Woodlands HS

Might I reiterate how ridiculously STACKED this Area is! There's still 1 more Region that has to submit their 2 reps which will bring the total number of hopefuls to 9 BANDS for this Area!! That's not even taking into account that--with the exception of Round Rock--....every single one of the bands on this [current] list has advanced to the State Final Round (which is made up of only 14 of the best of the best in the State of Texas) at least once out of the past 4 Honor Band competitions that took place this Decade.

Only 2 of these bands will advance, and considering Duncanville practically has a Cavaliers-like monopoly on this competition (they've won it almost every year they've been eligible to compete for the past....what? like 20 years?), only one of the remaining bands will get a chance to vye for the prize.

Only 2 of these bands will advance, and considering Duncanville practically has a Cavaliers-like monopoly on this competition (they've won it almost every year they've been eligible to compete for the past....what? like 20 years?), only one of the remaining bands will get a chance to vye for the prize.

No, they haven't won every time eligible, but they have made the top 6 every time eligible since 1986 1992; winning in 1998 and 2004. Langham Creek has just as impressive a record (if not a little more) over this decade never placing below 3rd since 1998 and winning in 2002 and 2006.

Edit: Corrected year.

No, they haven't won every time eligible, but they have made the top 6 every time eligible since 1986; winning in 1998 and 2004. Langham Creek has just as impressive a record (if not a little more) over this decade never placing below 3rd since 1998 and winning in 2002 and 2006.

So they won '98, were ineligible in '00, won '04 and were ineligible in '06. How'd they do in '02 when they were eligible?

EDIT: Btw, everything I said in that last post was all off the top of my head (the only one I wasn't absolutely sure on was the Woodlands....though I figured they'd made it to the finals at least once just knowing the kind of program they are). I don't have an extensive archive on competitions like I know several people on this site have (heck, besides random BOA recap PDFs that are still available on MFA's website, I don't have anything at all!). I threw it all out there knowing I was mostly right and the shock value would still be had, and I'd just leave it to the people really "in the know" to fill in my blanks :P.

Edited by takigan

As far as Area D goes, four of the bands have really made an impact in the last two 5A competitions ('04 and '06). In the '04 competition, Duncanville and Spring took first and second respectively. Then, two years later with Duncanville being inelligible, Coppell took third, Spring took fifth, and Cedar Park took seventh. Those four bands alone make this area ridiculously difficult since only two of them could advance. Then, on top of all that, you add on all of the other amazing bands, you get one heck of an area. I can't wait to see the results of this one.

Just as a question for anybody here...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it makes sense to submit an excellent recording, even if it's not the absolutely positively best possible, right? And does the answer to that question change if it's the first time the band would have ever submitted?

Tell me about it.

I'm still shocked that the Fort Bend ISD schools are grouped in with the schools from South Texas in Area G.

Yeah, TMEA Area D being a huge triangle from Dallas proper to North of Austin to North of Houston is ridiculous.