• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4'33?

wow.

That's....an interesting piece for a marching show.

wow.

I can't imagine how that went down.

There was a band from the valley a few years ago that did 4'33 as well (Edinburg North?). They started their show with something crazy like 48 counts of silent drill.

That is true. I've never heard of the piece. I didn't realize the whole thing was silent. That's really odd. Haha.

Cage was not composing a piece that was pure silence for four minutes and thirty-three seconds. The point was that people, in their concentration on the performer (who does things like get up to open and close the piano lid), would become very aware of every sound in the performance space during that time period. It is the sounds of the audience themselves that create the music: breathing, coughing, a creaking chair, etc.

Aleotoric music at its best! : )

Edited by aaron067

• 2 weeks later...

We've started our 2nd show, "Get it On" and we'll be marching it at the UNT vs. Rice game next week on the 27th.

As far as the state show goes, we have now two pieces of our show "Hide and Seek" from Imogen Heap and this AWESOME song Mr. Williams has written called "Krumpness!" haha, it's dark, twisted and totally awesome!

Thanks, I didn't even know what the music selections were in our show lol.

I only knew the writers, but not their pieces, except that the directors call one set "1000 Airplanes".

I'm guessing the show is a continuous show then, with all the selections integrated. That's also a first for the band that the directors have been a little late in jumping on top of. It's a whole different feel than the typical "play an opener, *everybody clap*, play a slow piece, *everybody clap*, close the show....*all the parents yell and scream and then the show's over*". A small thing like continuity can do wonders for GE.....it just looks more professional and less like one of the plethora of bands that just show up, march a 3-part Key Poulan show for UIL, take their 1 or whatever and go home. This is what Georgetown does but they just look so out of place doing it being a band that can keep stride alongside strong, established programs with exciting shows like Churchill and Reagan and Bowie and Cedar Park.

Not sure what I think of the stage or the guard uniforms though (seen pics on the website). The stage looks less professional and more like something a bunch of band dads got together and built in somebody's garage :mellow: . And the guard uniforms; ...I understand the flight suits bit and the flags are kind of cool looking and the show is still coming together but....I dunno, I do like the new direction the program has been heading in though...I'm very excited for ya'll ^_^ .