Carrolton TOC

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, after reading all of the predictions thus far, I realize that no one (including myself) has a CLUE how this is going to turn out. Almost every band on there has been placed in almost every prediction placement slot by at least one person. Seems like this one is up in the air.

...my personal favorite facet of these predictions are the ones (and there's more than a couple of you) who didn't put Georgetown in any of the finalist slots but still have them slated to win the percussion caption......yeah.

It's not surprising though....Gtown is a state-level band with an unstoppable drumline, but history has shown that they are definitely not an early season band and have failed to place in finals on more than one occasion at this "early-season" event.

I wish them well in the event--as an alumnus should, but don't expect them to do so -_- .

I need some honest answers from people who went to toc. How did Grapevine do? Were you suprised at the outcome? Because we were. Everyone in our band including our directors and techs thought we did way better in finals than prelims yet our score went down. And what is up with our percussion winning outstanding percussion and it not really affecting our over all score? Don't get me wrong...I was really happy for our percussion!

That's pretty much exactly how we felt. I was kinda bummed...

but on a lighter note here were my favorite shows:

Mansfield: Hands-down this show is one of the toughest I have ever seen. It was a bit rough, but it was still my favorite show out of the entire competition. I loved the music and I loved the drill (especially your exit drill). Unlike many bands, you guys march AND play for a good amount of the show. Once again, I loved it. However, as a drum major, I was terrified of your DM podium... that thing is a beast.

Sachse: Love it or Hate it, you have to recognize that the show was very well performed. Some people might not have liked the theme (my dad), others really enjoyed it (me). The theme was cleverly formed and the music chosen really fit the show. I especially loved the PoTC part of the show. It almost seemed like it was poking fun at other bands... lol.

I also really enjoyed watching Aledo and Creekview. Unfortunately, I didn't get to watch The Colony, Grapevine (although I saw them at HEB), Plano West, or Northwest.

Even though our placement was kind of a dissapointment to us, thankfully our bus ride home was still high spirited. We played this weird booty game I've never heard of... :blink:

Sachse: Love it or Hate it, you have to recognize that the show was very well performed. Some people might not have liked the theme (my dad), others really enjoyed it (me). The theme was cleverly formed and the music chosen really fit the show. I especially loved the PoTC part of the show. It almost seemed like it was poking fun at other bands... lol.

Wait..........Sachse is doing a PoTC show again? Wtf?

NONONONO! Its hard to explain. Kinda... like its a airplane themed show. So there's this part (btw for the entire show their is a colorguard speaking on a mic as if she was a stewardess, props to her memorization) where the colorguard mentions about on flight entertainment, and sachse plays a little snippet of PoTC. it was fun.

man i just got back from TOC. what a long day it has been.

creekview- i actually enjoyed show alot. it was entertaining, but i think they had just a bit too mcuh puppet motion. and alot of it was repetative. i thought that the strings attatched to the drum major was kinda cool. he shouldve done it for the entire show. (if you dont know what im talking about, ask someone else cause i suck at explaining)

grapevine- reminds me of Mansfield of last year. winning a caption and yet still being in 10th. although Mansfield did kick it up to 5th in finals last year. i liked grapevines show last year, i dont know if i like this years as much.

wylie- AMAZING band sound. a few players sticking out at times but it was overall a great performance. i never wouldve imagined wylie winning this competition, but wow they surprised me.

Just adding on to what the person above me said about Mansfield.

I agree, this show is difficult. I don't know if you saw Mansfield's show last year, but it was pretty high maintenance as well. I think one of the great things about their show this year, is they are doing music that you HAVEN'T and won't hear anywhere else this year. I don't know if you noticed, but Mansfield marches during a lot of the harder music spots, unlike many bands who stop when difficult parts come along. No way am I saying they are the only ones who don't. I too enjoyed this show very much. The guard work is hands down the hardest in this competition. Could they have pulled it off better? Yes. However, in prelims the first Double was AMAZING. If they just catch their tosses and work on timing in the fourth movement, this guard is going to be a tough one to beat. Marching wise, I believe this band had some of the best all around marching technique. Many of the bands I witnessed had many different intepretations of a certain marching technique all in their band. Mansfield, it's not like that. From a musical standpoint the first movement was awesome. When they started Lux Arumque(sp?), there were some matching and tuning issues in the trumpets and some in the trombones. Also, the tubas were a little overbearing with a few sticking out. This faded into Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap. I LOVED this part of the show. The saxaphone soli was definitely a great choice here. The woodwinds circling them with their hats off was a very nice touch. I don't know, but I just feel that the brass didn't have any parts of the show for themselves. Let me see. Movement 4 started out okay, but the guard had some issues with timing. The drumline began to phase at times but quickly got back in before it really was that noticable. One thing that irked me was that in both prelims and finals, there was a trombone(I think it was a bass trombone) that was sticking out during the whole part. It was definitely noticable and added an unwanted sound to the blend. It was hard to hear the trumpet solo because of the wind, but it was good. A few of the pit members seemed to forget pieces of the fourth movement, but the ones who remembered it made up for them., The show began in an arrow and ended in arrows. I definitely like this show and it is most enjoyable. The music is enjoyable and the drill is hard. Perfect show.

Okay. I am exhausted. I will review the other bands tomorrow.

Grats to Wylie for winning it. I didn't see it coming. I thought they sounded good, and overall marched their drill cleanly. With that being said, if you were there, their drill was simple overall. I guess that's a positive about performing that kind of show early on. Anyways, congrats to them, this contest had a lot of suprises that I wouldn't have expected.

I love the idea of Creekview show, however, I think that more puppet visuals should be added throughout the show and balanced a bit more. I felt that the beginning had tons of actions, but the towards the end, they weren't really present. Creekview also sounded really good too. I really liked their show in general. The drum majors acting into the visuals even made it cooler. They've improved quite a bit since last year. Creekview, good job!

I think that Mansfield has a lot on the platter to clean up. We came in there and did the best we could do to perform that day. However, much of the show still needs a lot of work. Music is one thing I wish we did better that night. From on the field I heard quite a few people sticking out in the overall balance. If we fix some issues and just go mad at cleaning, it'll be miles better. Btw can anyone tell me how the balance/sound of the sax soli went, criticisms please!

It was a fun contest. I enjoyed it more this year than last year even. I didn't get to see Aledo or Centennial perfrom though =/.

I love the idea of Creekview show, however, I think that more puppet visuals should be added throughout the show and balanced a bit more. I felt that the beginning had tons of actions, but the towards the end, they weren't really present. Creekview also sounded really good too. I really liked their show in general. The drum majors acting into the visuals even made it cooler. They've improved quite a bit since last year. Creekview, good job!

We were just trying to get the drill out there. (Most of those long stand still moments in part IV were for places for visuals pretty sure because our director said more eye candy will be added.) Thank you for the complement!! by the way y'all sounded realllllly good in warm-up but i didn't hear y'all in finals. =[