UIL 6A 2023 State Finals

LeanderMomma

3 minutes ago, mountainlympus said:

WOW BRIDGELAND IN 10TH!!! Outstanding for a program that has only been open for 7 YEARS!!!! So proud to be an alumni and watch the continued success year after year. Are they the youngest school to make 6A Finals?

For 6a I think they are the youngest school. However, back when there was no 6a, and 5a was the largest, I think CTJ is technically the youngest school to make finals for the highest division. 

6 minutes ago, Iplaydadrum said:

For 6a I think they are the youngest school. However, back when there was no 6a, and 5a was the largest, I think CTJ is technically the youngest school to make finals for the highest division. 

Bridgeland ties Vandegrift who made 6A finals in 2016 (Vandy was est in 2009)

6 minutes ago, seafoodbuffet said:

Bridgeland ties Vandegrift who made 6A finals in 2016 (Vandy was est in 2009)

Thanks, I forgot Vandegrift moved up a division in 2016. It's actually so impressive how much they've managed to accomplish since 2009. The only thing left is to win San Antonio (hopefully this Saturday). 

5 minutes ago, Iplaydadrum said:

Thanks, I forgot Vandegrift moved up a division in 2016. It's actually so impressive how much they've managed to accomplish since 2009. The only thing left is to win San Antonio (hopefully this Saturday). 

OMG your right!!! As much as I'd love for an upset, I really hope they win because then they will have everything you get from marching band (many regionals wins, 3x state (4A in 2013 and 6A in 2022/23), and GN's in 2019)! Also have won Honor band so like a SA win is all they need, lets go get it Vandergrift! 

6 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

OMG you’re right!!! As much as I'd love for an upset, I really hope they win because then they will have everything you get from marching band (many regionals wins, 3x state (4A in 2013 and 6A in 2022/23), and GN's in 2019)! Also have won Honor band so like a SA win is all they need, lets go get it Vandergrift! 

Tying out a meteoric decade by winning a back-to-back State championship on the 10th anniversary of your first. Cosmic stuff

Good for Vandegrift! My freshman year was 2013, so I remember hearing about a new school winning 4A state. That year, everyone was talking about CTJ (the acrobats!), Hebron, and especially The Woodland's shows. Vandegrift kinda flew under my radar. I'll admit, it was a gorgeous show, especially on the music side, but IDK if it would've made state finals today.

Vandegrift is making the same levels of growth as Marcus did from 2006 (where there could be a legitimate debate over who the champion should be) to 2012 (where there was honestly no question). So basically they're going from already at the top of the UIL latter, to even further up the latter. Great time to be a Vandegrift student!

Here are placements within each overall caption (I combined the music and visual sub-caption ordinals into their respective caption, and left the Content & Design caption as separate)

Music (Ens. + WW + Brass + Perc.)

1. Hebron (10)

2. Marcus/Vandegrift (11)

4. Flower Mound (17)

5. Vista Ridge (21)

6. The Woodlands (29) 

7. Waxahachie (33)

8. Ronald Reagan (35)

9. Pearland (36)

10. Bridgeland (38)

11. Coppell (41)

12. Round Rock (43)

13. Cy-Fair (47)

14. Keller (48)

Visual (Ens. + Ind.)

1. Vandegrift (3)

2. The Woodlands (4)

3. Marcus (9)

4. Hebron/ Flower Mound/ Vista Ridge/ Ronald Reagan (12) 

8. Cy-Fair (15)

9. Coppell (16)

10. Bridgeland (19)

11. Pearland (20)

12. Round Rock (24)

13. Keller (25)

14. Waxahachie (27)

Content & Design

1. Hebron 
  2. Marcus
  3. Vandegrift 
  4. Vista Ridge
  5. Ronald Reagan
  6. The Woodlands 
  7. Cy-Fair
  8. Flower Mound
  9. Coppell
  10. Pearland
  11. Bridgeland
  12. Round Rock
  13. Keller
  14. Waxahachie 

3 minutes ago, boppellband said:

I’d be interested to see why Coppells percussion score is so low, seeing as they seem to win everything else, and from what I know are a top 3 percussion program in the nation. Would anyone be able to explain it to me? Not a percussion guy so not entirely sure how it’s scored.

Coppell does both a percussion show and their show music during the competition season. I'm pretty sure that their percussion show is way harder than their show music and they likely spend more time on their percussion show. If both were hard it'd be pretty hard to get either one clean by the end of the season. 

13 minutes ago, Iplaydadrum said:

Coppell does both a percussion show and their show music during the competition season. I'm pretty sure that their percussion show is way harder than their show music and they likely spend more time on their percussion show. If both were hard it'd be pretty hard to get either one clean by the end of the season. 

This⬆️

1 hour ago, FEDude said:

Good for Vandegrift! My freshman year was 2013, so I remember hearing about a new school winning 4A state. That year, everyone was talking about CTJ (the acrobats!), Hebron, and especially The Woodland's shows. Vandegrift kinda flew under my radar. I'll admit, it was a gorgeous show, especially on the music side, but IDK if it would've made state finals today.

Vandegrift is making the same levels of growth as Marcus did from 2006 (where there could be a legitimate debate over who the champion should be) to 2012 (where there was honestly no question). So basically they're going from already at the top of the UIL latter, to even further up the latter. Great time to be a Vandegrift student!

I believe that was the first year Vandy made BOA SA FINALS 😍 I still remember that show. The Alexander Nevsky 😍

Just now, Ruprecht88 said:

Their guard is unrealistically good, and the visual judges may get a little over focused on that aspect 

I also frankly don't know what makes good colorguard. They all look the same to me. What are specific things to look for that set a great guard apart from a poor one?

Just now, tubapop said:

I also frankly don't know what makes good colorguard. They all look the same to me. What are specific things to look for that set a great guard apart from a poor one?

Just the fact that TWHS is probably the only guard in Texas that can toss 7's all at once, you  don't really see that in Texas. An easy indicator is flags being in time as well.