UIL 6A Area B 2023

5 hours ago, BandFanForever said:

Hey! Fossil Ridge mama here (and former Berkner guard member myself). I love marching band, and I think all the shows this year have amazing things to offer. I'm constantly impressed by all these kids and their efforts! My faves so far have been Keller and LD Bell, but I haven't gotten to see too many.

I know Ridge is not usually in the convo about area finals, but I wanted to give you guys some little-known behind the scenes insight into what they face. 

They are Keller ISD, but they are technically in Ft. Worth. Over half the student body is low income. The entire feeder pattern is Title 1. This is why, even with band fees that are 1/3 of the other bands in the area, they are so small... it's hard to get enough kids that can afford to participate. And they certainly don't have the luxury of choosing which kids to put on the field. 

The boosters fundraise the best they can, but as an outlier to Keller, they don't get much community support. Their fundraising is to help scholarship kids so they can participate and feed them at games and comps and help pay limited support staff. They don't have a bunch of money to spend on new uniforms or extravagant props, and their equipment is ancient and sketchy. They don't even take props to games because the money that would be used for a prop truck is needed to help the kids. To top it all off, they have to compete against some of the top (and wealthiest and biggest) bands in the state, including 3 others in their own district. They don't ever travel to BOA San Antonio or anywhere else the rest of the Keller ISD bands go because they don't have the money. They are always the underdog. But here are the good things:

They have one of the most diverse programs in the state, and they are a united family. So cool! They work so dang hard despite the odds and always cheer on other schools... especially in their district... even though they are the black sheep. Ha! They keep improving and clawing forward even when it looks impossible. Their snare line has three girls... including their center snare... which is so unusual and cool to all of us ladies. 

Every success... big or small (like making finals at BOA Midland last year and at HEB a few weeks ago - despite some nearly catastrophic complications in prelims - and placing 3rd overall at USBands Burleson last week - woohoo!) is an against-all-odds Cinderella story. So if you happen to be there when they play, please please please give them some love... they need every bit of it! Thanks guys!! Love reading all your predictions and input! Go band!

We always root for the ridge - there were huge cheers for them at HEB when they made finals from the other Keller schools!!

16 minutes ago, fivyjhin said:

what y’all think about sgp 

Seeing how they’ve done this year, I could see them moving up some. I think solely because of the depth of this area and how small they are compared to most of the the finalist, it’s hard for them to get in, but if they continue their growth and upward momentum, I could see them maybe slipping in in a few years 

4 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Seeing how they’ve done this year, I could see them moving up some. I think solely because of the depth of this area and how small they are compared to most of the the finalist, it’s hard for them to get in, but if they continue their growth and upward momentum, I could see them maybe slipping in in a few years 

What do y'all think of any of the Crowley bands?

1 hour ago, BandNerd07 said:

What do y'all think of any of the Crowley bands?

I don’t know much about them, north Crowley seems to be doing very well, but again another band that due to the depth of this contest probably won’t make finals, but again, I could see them making it in a few seasons if they continue to improve 

17 hours ago, Origin said:

I don’t know that Keller’s highest score at HEB since 2019 can be considered a slip…but anyway, I think there’s a good chance that the top 8 from last year is the same this year, with Coppell, Keller, and Waxahachie being the safest locks based on consistency in the past. It’s gonna come down to who can have a clean, full show, especially since it’s a week earlier in the season. Performance time could play a role with how competitive this area is. I’m pulling for Timber, Bell, and Central if 6 advance. But I also really like Carroll’s show. Haven’t seen Duncanville at all.

Yeah, okay I get what you're saying. I just saw that Timber Creek beat Keller without actually studying the scores from this year and the years prior. I have observed that Keller usually has a slow start to the season, but later on they prove themselves for the better. Can't wait to see what they can pull off at GNats. I still do see them as finalists there.

8 minutes ago, Luke Givens said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure if we want 7 bands to advance to state then no more bands can get a 2 out of this area because right now the max bands at area would be 35

Yes you are correct. So here's the bands that did not qualify;

Lamar - 2

Sam Houston - 3

Skyline - 2

So that means, if ANY more band out of this entire area get less than a 1, we will only send 6 bands to state. Please it's really up to the rest of region 20 if we get that. 🙏🙏🙏

11 minutes ago, BandNerd07 said:

Yes you are correct. So here's the bands that did not qualify;

Lamar - 2

Sam Houston - 3

Skyline - 2

So that means, if ANY more band out of this entire area get less than a 1, we will only send 6 bands to state. Please it's really up to the rest of region 20 if we get that. 🙏🙏🙏

Desoto, Lake Highlands, Nimitz, and Duncanville are the remaining bands, all of them managed to make it to Area last year, some are less certain than others, but there is definitely cause to be optimistic!

Well, Desoto got 1's now. Giving that the other Irving ISD bands got 1's, it's safe to say that Nimitz probably will too. And Lake Highlands and Duncanville is basically a guarantee. So it's safe to say that we WILL send 7 bands to state, and possibly the only area in 6A (maybe in TX) that sends 7 bands to state.

41 minutes ago, BandNerd07 said:

Well, Desoto got 1's now. Giving that the other Irving ISD bands got 1's, it's safe to say that Nimitz probably will too. And Lake Highlands and Duncanville is basically a guarantee. So it's safe to say that we WILL send 7 bands to state, and possibly the only area in 6A (maybe in TX) that sends 7 bands to state.

Very fantastic feat for this area, they’ve been agonizingly close to having that 7th spot for the last several cycles now!

Let's not count it guaranteed yet.  Weird penalties and issues can plague even the best bands.  We've seen things with Wakeland and Allen in recent years. But given that there is a high chance now of getting seven bands at state from this area, I'm really excited to see which groups are going to step up to the opportunity.

Here's my updated predictions on every placement this year now that we have an idea on who's going to be here:

1. Coppell
  2. Timber Creek
  3. Waxahachie 
  4. Bell
  5. Keller
  6. Southlake Carroll
  7. Duncanville 
  8. Keller Central 
  9. Berkner
  10. Lake Ridge
  11. Lake Highlands 
  12. Haltom
  13. Fossil Ridge
  14. Boswell
  15. Highland Park
  16. Trinity 
  17. North Crowley 
  18. J.J. Pearce
  19. Mansfield
  20. Martin
  21. Chisholm Trail
  22. Paschal 
  23. Legacy
  24. Richardson 
  25. Weatherford 
  26. Arlington 
  27. South Grand Prairie 
  28. Crowley
  29. Nimitz
  30. Cedar Hill
  31. Bowie
  32. Desoto
  33. MacArthur
  34. Irving
  35. Grand Prairie

28 minutes ago, LostChoirGuy said:

Let's not count it guaranteed yet.  Weird penalties and issues can plague even the best bands.  We've seen things with Wakeland and Allen in recent years. But given that there is a high chance now of getting seven bands at state from this area, I'm really excited to see which groups are going to step up to the opportunity.

It’s happening!