UIL 6A Area B 2023

1 hour ago, BandNerd07 said:

I'm actually surprised no one has even brought up the Areas yet.

I think its because people are really focused on how BOA and the SMBC are changing with Texas changing to yearly, so area is getting covered, besides 5A B with the Wakeland and overall competitive/wild card nature of this year

On 7/19/2023 at 3:50 AM, loltpt said:

I'm sure Keller, Waxahachie, and Coppell will advance to state, the rest of the spots can be given to any other notable band like LD Bell, Timber Creek, Duncanville, Keller Central, Southlake Carroll, or Lake Ridge.

Even six slots to state isn’t enough for this area anymore. SMBC finalist-caliber bands always seem to be left behind in this area. I’m going to guess 5 or 6 to state this year. The first 5 seem pretty solid: Keller, Wax, Coppell, Bell, Timber Creek, and a bloodbath for the 6th spot between Dville, Carroll, and KC. With the new rule, I’m hoping for a 3-way tie for that last spot!

4 hours ago, crunchycookie3 said:

I believe that UIL passed a rule change that if there is a points tie for the last advancing spot to state, all groups who tie advance to state. Did I just imagine that though?

Oh no I believe you lol I just haven’t got a chance to familiarize with all the rule changes. I like this rule as the bands who’ve lost tiebreakers in the recent years of this area (Southlake Carroll, Bell, and Timber Creek) were very deserving of going to state that year as much as the band that won the tiebreakers (Duncanville twice and TC once). 

Okay, so I didn't even know there were rule changes. I like it because now it save a heartbreak that keeps happening in this Area. It happened with Dville and TC in 2028, TC and Bell in 2021, and Dville and SLC in 2022. Does this rule only apply for Area to State advancement or for Prelims to Finals at both Area and State?

On 7/22/2023 at 1:44 PM, crunchycookie3 said:

I believe that UIL passed a rule change that if there is a points tie for the last advancing spot to state, all groups who tie advance to state. Did I just imagine that though?

Where did you read about this?

• BandNerd07 changed the title to UIL 6A Area B 2023
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Percplayer19 said:

Haltom is a dark horse. They had a good show last year but didn’t make state. Mr. Hull knows how to get this group back to form and will get them back to state even though they are not ever considered by the talking heads. 

I really hope they can do well this year. Ever since Covid they’ve been on a big downhill which is sad, bc I loved their recent shows, especially 2018. Could listen to that on repeat for hours. Hopefully they can at least make finals this year, but as always, it won’t be easy, not just for them but everyone. 

15 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

I really hope they can do well this year. Ever since Covid they’ve been on a big downhill which is sad, bc I loved their recent shows, especially 2018. Could listen to that on repeat for hours. Hopefully they can at least make finals this year, but as always, it won’t be easy, not just for them but everyone. 

They were on the rise pre Covid but they are not an upper tier that could sustain through Covid. They are middle tier but with the potential to be higher with a good show. I’m a Richland alumni and we love Haltom.  

On 8/7/2023 at 11:13 PM, Percplayer19 said:

Haltom is a dark horse. They had a good show last year but didn’t make state. Mr. Hull knows how to get this group back to form and will get them back to state even though they are not ever considered by the talking heads. 

They're definitely taking Area seriously... so seriously that they're not even attending their own home football game the night before Area. Game location is NOT the nice BISD turf field, but the old grass field that Haltom and Richland used up until the new turf field at Birdville was built. They don't want to risk twisted ankles or ruined props due to an uneven grass field, so they got permission to not even attend this game.

On 8/9/2023 at 9:35 AM, Toasted Almond said:

They're definitely taking Area seriously... so seriously that they're not even attending their own home football game the night before Area. Game location is NOT the nice BISD turf field, but the old grass field that Haltom and Richland used up until the new turf field at Birdville was built. They don't want to risk twisted ankles or ruined props due to an uneven grass field, so they got permission to not even attend this game.

Yes, I know what you're talking about. We had an away game vs Haltom at their old grass field freshman year, and we decided to just have a standstill performance which didn't really help considering we had a competition the next day, so we lost a performance opportunity before a comp. They really need to upgrade that stadium and replace the grass with turf.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, BandNerd07 said:

Noticed that this page has been dead for weeks so I decided to bring it back to life. Anyway, do y'all think it's possible for 35 bands to qualify and this area sends 7 bands to state?

I really hope so! I’d love for a band like Lake Ridge to make it in, or maybe Like Highlands. Hoping and predicting that we will see SLC back at state 

19 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

I really hope so! I’d love for a band like Lake Ridge to make it in, or maybe Like Highlands. Hoping and predicting that we will see SLC back at state 

Yeah, hope so too. Crowley's much more improved this year over last year, so I think they might actually have a chance at making it this year. Hopefully Lamar doesn't go over the 8 minute time limit again (I think that's what happened last year) and Skyline also seems like they're doing good for themselves. Bowie might just be a hit or miss, but I honestly just don't see Sam Houston or Grand Prairie making area. But as long as 3 out of the first 4 bands make it, then we'll see 7 bands advance to state.