2023 HEB Marching Contest (Sept. 30)

celesta

10 hours ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

I just want to extend my congratulations to every group who competed yesterday! Everyone did a phenomenal job, and I watched every band in livestream (apart from my performing band). I am extremely impressed with Timber Creek and Keller; they did phenomenal! Marcus also did a wonderful job, but I just want to say Bryon Nelson’s show was amazing as well, and they did such a wonderful job! Everyone else did amazing, but those groups really wowed me!

I will say that I know a lot of people were shocked when Timber Creek beat Keller, but I am just really proud, and was really unexpected! That’s the point of competitions, no matter how much you predict one thing, you will always have stuff not go according to those predictions. Also, I saw a comment bashing winners of certain awards, and I just want to say that everyone did an amazing job with soloists! I really liked all of the solos, but it depended on the judge’s taste. I was on the BOA Austin thread talking about how we making comments about how putting down other marchers isn’t a good move, and shows poor sportsmanship. We should all congratulate each other, even if we do not think a certain group should win, or get a certain award.

Enough with the rant, I am extremely proud of every band who performed! I really hoped y’all liked Forney’s show, and we are proud of how we did. :)

- Forney Band Marcher

Y’all were fantastic! Can’t wait to see Forney again at BOA Prosper. 

On 9/30/2023 at 5:08 PM, littlejaw said:

No you’re right, I’ll be first to admit that Keller’s show relies too much on showing off the impressive musicians. It doesn’t have enough arrival moments and the effect is not there yet.

Not just the Keller slow start, I think they are on the outside looking in right now at Grand Nats.

Not the best opening for Keller, but this is exactly the same thing that was said the last two years about them and by the end they still manage to find themselves in finals at the end of the season in SA.  

I don't think there is any question that Keller has been re-inventing themselves a bit post-covid.  They have always played well, but seem to be trying to find their place design-wise in the activity.  Having a little insight into their show, I can say that the best moments are in their closer, which wasn't performed on Saturday.  That staff and those kids know how to clean and dig every bit out of a show, and I have no doubt that come GN they will find a place in finals on Saturday night.  

3 hours ago, bancl said:

Not the best opening for Keller, but this is exactly the same thing that was said the last two years about them and by the end they still manage to find themselves in finals at the end of the season in SA.  

I don't think there is any question that Keller has been re-inventing themselves a bit post-covid.  They have always played well, but seem to be trying to find their place design-wise in the activity.  Having a little insight into their show, I can say that the best moments are in their closer, which wasn't performed on Saturday.  That staff and those kids know how to clean and dig every bit out of a show, and I have no doubt that come GN they will find a place in finals on Saturday night.  

Agreed!  I didn't want to be the one to say it, but people always predict the sky is falling for Keller every year and then they prove themselves time and time again.  They have shown to be late season bloomers and always have awesome final movements that don't premier until the end of the season.  This show already seems like it has more potential to me than the last two years.  I will say that it seems we have a really strong Timber Creek this year, which I'm happy to see.  Good to see Wakeland and Forney doing awesome at this contest too.  I think they will compete well at 5a UIL state.  And Marcus is just doing Marcus.  They are nothing if not consistent.

20 hours ago, Toasted Almond said:

In looking at the recaps, its curious that Azle was actually 10th in prelims, but did not make an appearance in finals. Was this perhaps their homecoming weekend? I know several bands have elected not to participate in finals (should they qualify) so their students could participate in homecoming activities.

yes, it was azle’s homecoming dance. 

On 9/30/2023 at 11:08 AM, Tubalord11 said:

Keller Central- The Edge 

All I can say is wow! It’s hard to judge visually bc of the quality of the live stream so most of my comments will be music based, but KC sound SO GOOD for this time of the season! I’m a really big fan of the music, especially after that opening hit! Their soloist did great, especially that Clarinet, bro was killing it! Very excited to see the at prosper, great job KC! 

Yea I saw them at Area last year and was convinced they’d make state