3. Lake Belton/Hays
  4. McCallum
  5. Smithson Valley
  6. Pieper
  7. Comal Canyon
  8. Seguin
  9. Pflugerville
  10. Georgetown

Unpopular opinion, but this makes the most sense to me. I’d love some discussions or questions on why, because I’m fully confident on this list!

Very valid list as I know Hays and Lake Belton both have great shows, but as a member of McCallum I wouldn't rule us out of the top 3, we're starting to clean up very nicely. 

16 hours ago, Karma_Savior said:
  1. Hendrickson
  2. Hays/Lake Belton
  3. Lake Belton/Hays
  4. McCallum
  5. Smithson Valley
  6. Pieper
  7. Comal Canyon
  8. Seguin
  9. Pflugerville
  10. Georgetown

Unpopular opinion, but this makes the most sense to me. I’d love some discussions or questions on why, because I’m fully confident on this list!

I am curious though, do you have McCallum below Hays and LB because you think that their shows have stronger design or because you believe the latter two are performing their show at a higher level at this point in the season? I only ask because I strongly believe that this year's show has significantly better design than what we fielded last season, and I'd love to hear your input!

19 minutes ago, Knighttime12 said:

I am curious though, do you have McCallum below Hays and LB because you think that their shows have stronger design or because you believe the latter two are performing their show at a higher level at this point in the season? I only ask because I strongly believe that this year's show has significantly better design than what we fielded last season, and I'd love to hear your input!

I honestly think the show last year was SUPERB! The blue vs. red was visually incredible. I haven't seen McCallum since Cap City, and I know you guys are a lot stronger now. The only thing I'm not 100% sold on this year is the closer. I just think it's a little out of character for the kind of shows you guys normally do. You're performing it very well, it's just not my preference musically.  

Here's my thought process in regards to placement.

US BANDS: Copperas Cove barely beat Hays and McCallum.

6A AREA: Weiss and Hutto beat Copperas Cove.

Vista Ridge: Lake Belton beat Hutto and Weiss by an incredibly large margin. 

I know contests, judging, and performances are all subject to change. Opinions vary and every judge's preference of what they like changes. I also know every band in 5A Area D is working very hard to clean up the messy spots. Aside from Hendrickson, I think placements 2-5 are going to be a complete toss up, but I do believe all the bands I had listed will advance to state.

5 minutes ago, Karma_Savior said:

I honestly think the show last year was SUPERB! The blue vs. red was visually incredible. I haven't seen McCallum since Cap City, and I know you guys are a lot stronger now. The only thing I'm not 100% sold on this year is the closer. I just think it's a little out of character for the kind of shows you guys normally do. You're performing it very well, it's just not my preference musically.  

I know contests, judging, and performances are all subject to change. Opinions vary and every judge's preference of what they like changes. I also know every band in 5A Area D is working very hard to clean up the messy spots. Aside from Hendrickson, I think placements 2-5 are going to be a complete toss up, but I do believe all the bands I had listed will advance to state.

I personally don't see Pieper not making state this year. They were 2nd at boa Conroe, won a USBands comp, so unless they have a bad finals run, I'd be very shocked to see them out of state 

4 minutes ago, Karma_Savior said:

Okay yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from. We didn't perform our full closer at Cap City or USBands, but I do agree that it is the weakest part of our show at the moment, largely because we started learning drill and music for it much later than we intended to. However, I do think it will contribute greatly to our vis scores because it has some pretty cool and challenging drill that is starting to get dangerously clean. Nonetheless still looking forward to this comp quite a bit, and excited for more state representation from this area!!

6 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

I personally don't see Pieper not making state this year. They were 2nd at boa Conroe, won a USBands comp, so unless they have a bad finals run, I'd be very shocked to see them out of state 

I'm looking at the results, and I'm not seeing them beat super competitive bands... If they won a USBands comp where they beat bands that traditionally make Area Finals, I would understand that assessment. You can obliterate everyone at a contest, but was the contest that competitive? Not undermining the accomplishment, just stating the facts.

52 minutes ago, Karma_Savior said:

I'm looking at the results, and I'm not seeing them beat super competitive bands... If they won a USBands comp where they beat bands that traditionally make Area Finals, I would understand that assessment. You can obliterate everyone at a contest, but was the contest that competitive? Not undermining the accomplishment, just stating the facts.

I have Pieper in the top 2-3, I think they'll do great. Not trying to compare or interpret results across contests because I don't think that works well. I just base my view on seeing the different groups and having a pretty good sense of what a state-caliber band looks like.

3 hours ago, TacosNSalsa said:

I have Pieper in the top 2-3, I think they'll do great. Not trying to compare or interpret results across contests because I don't think that works well. I just base my view on seeing the different groups and having a pretty good sense of what a state-caliber band looks like.

No shade, but what are your credentials for having a "sense of what a state-caliber band" is?

I say we just let the bands do the talking and see what results we have come Saturday night at 11:00 PM

21 hours ago, Bandmanio said:

No shade, but what are your credentials for having a "sense of what a state-caliber band" is?

I say we just let the bands do the talking and see what results we have come Saturday night at 11:00 PM

I've watched a lot of state marching contests 😄 And a lot of area contests!

This is a forum for posting opinions and sharing thoughts respectfully. So I will continue to share that I think Pieper looks like a state-caliber band, with respect to many other great bands at the contest.

On 10/23/2023 at 7:19 PM, Karma_Savior said:
  1. Hendrickson
  2. Hays/Lake Belton
  3. Lake Belton/Hays
  4. McCallum
  5. Smithson Valley
  6. Pieper
  7. Comal Canyon
  8. Seguin
  9. Pflugerville
  10. Georgetown

Someone’s gotta drop bc there’s no way Belton doesn’t make finals unless they are first out by a slim margin 

On 10/23/2023 at 5:17 PM, Dave609 said:

Here is my first predictions for this contest-

1st- Robert E. Hendrickson HS
2nd- McCallum HS
3rd- Jack C. Hays HS
4th- Pieper HS
5th- Smithson Valley HS
6th- Lake Belton HS
7th- Georgetown HS
8th- Seguin HS
9th- MacArthur HS
10th- Belton HS

First two out-

Comal Canyon HS
Pflugerville HS

I know ya'll may be wondering why I have Smithson Valley over Lake Belton and Georgetown. I think that because of their recent return to the 5A classification. they have had success within 5A and I think this year will show that since they would have been a State Alternate last year had 5A had a state year. But it will definitely be a battle between those 3

Just curious, but have you considered the size of Lake Belton this year? They are a whole lot bigger than last year and I wonder if that would affect the placement between them and Smithson Valley

1 hour ago, Okay said:

Just curious, but have you considered the size of Lake Belton this year? They are a whole lot bigger than last year and I wonder if that would affect the placement between them and Smithson Valley

I can guarantee you that size does not matter much regarding competition. Rouse is fairly small compared to its competitors like Cedar Park and they still go out and produce very well. That being said Lake Belton is on a good trajectory right now with their program so it depends on how much work they put in these past two weeks (even though the rain did mess with these bands a bit but hey at least we got rain). 

1 hour ago, BaritoneBallah said:

What are the chances of Cedar Creek making finals/advancing? My little cousin is a freshman there, they honestly sounded a lot better than I expected them to, I personally likely see them finalizing and not so likely making state. I'd like to hear other peoples input though!

They certainly have improved this year. Not sure if it's enough to make finals but I'd think they would be close.

10 minutes ago, fluteyboi said:

I can guarantee you that size does not matter much regarding competition. Rouse is fairly small compared to its competitors like Cedar Park and they still go out and produce very well. That being said Lake Belton is on a good trajectory right now with their program so it depends on how much work they put in these past two weeks (even though the rain did mess with these bands a bit but hey at least we got rain). 

This is also true, bigger band doesn’t always mean better band

like have you seen Allen HS’s band with like over 500 people on the field?

7 minutes ago, abtwitch said:

5A Area Finalists (random order):

Smithson Valley

Pieper

Bastrop

Georgetown

Comal Canyon

McCallum

Lake Belton

Hendrickson

Pflugerville

Jack C. Hays

Congrats to all our finalist! A bit surprised about Belton not making it but everything else seems about right, battle for state will be a big one here, good luck to all our finalist! 

Finals Results: 

1st. Hendrickson (advances to state) 

2nd. Lake Belton (advances to state)

3rd. Pieper (advances to state)

4th. Pflugerville ( advances to state)

5th. Smithson Valley (advances to state)

6th. Jack. C. Hays

7th. McCallum 

8th. Georgetown

9th. Comal Cayon 

10th. Bastrop 

HUE Congratulations to Pieper, Lake Belton, P-Ville and SV! A bit surprised about Hays and McCallum, but it seems a lot of other programs really stepped it up this year! Can't wait to see how these bands do at state!