UIL 6A Area C 2023

Dave609

14 minutes ago, Mellow_Mello said:

I know it's been a little while lol, but I'd love to hear what you thought of McKinney High 

I like watching bands that do what they do with conviction, and McKinney was certainly one of them. Their appearance in finals was justified by their big sound and clean marching, and the composure they demonstrated in finals night. A very well prepared and fun show to watch. I loved the vibe of the rhapsody in blue in the closer! 

7 hours ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

I like watching bands that do what they do with conviction, and McKinney was certainly one of them. Their appearance in finals was justified by their big sound and clean marching, and the composure they demonstrated in finals night. A very well prepared and fun show to watch. I loved the vibe of the rhapsody in blue in the closer! 

We've been working hard at the conviction and composure part, glad to see it came across strong and that you enjoyed it!

I watched all of finals at this contest. Can someone help me understand judging? This is going to be an unpopular opinion:) Hebron sounded amazing, really great. However, their marching looked really sloppy to me. Their lines were really messy. I’m guessing that’s not very important. Please don’t bash me 😂. I’m genuinely curious and ignorant apparently. 

10 hours ago, Will22 said:

I watched all of finals at this contest. Can someone help me understand judging? This is going to be an unpopular opinion:) Hebron sounded amazing, really great. However, their marching looked really sloppy to me. Their lines were really messy. I’m guessing that’s not very important. Please don’t bash me 😂. I’m genuinely curious and ignorant apparently. 

Honestly, my understanding is that Jill favors clean marching. Perhaps there's a bit of confirmation bias? I wouldn't really know what they looked like or how they compared to the other bands as I didn't get a chance to see them lol

13 hours ago, Will22 said:

I think there are a couple of factors here; one is that Hebron favors more of a curvilinear drill style as opposed to their competition like Flower Mound, who are very geometric and symmetrical, and Marcus who are kinda in the middle. This style doesn’t really tend to pop visually until it’s 98% clean but entails a lot more demand for the performers, who have a lot more difficult responsibilities in dressing the form. But they still aren’t clean there, as you pointed out, although the foot timing is pretty excellent on the field level. I think they’re just being rewarded for that individual visual excellence, as well as the demand of the ensemble visual package. My uneducated opinion.

On 10/28/2023 at 11:49 PM, Will22 said:

It’s a fair assessment. They are truly amazing band but even amazing bands have messy areas. I have not seen the state finals breakdown but could be part of reason they were 3rd at state. 

Alright, so Dave Campbell's Texas Football posted the enrollment numbers some schools turned into the UIL for snapshot day. And it looks like Forney, Northwest and Princeton are pretty much guaranteed to move up to 6A and it looks like McKinney North is on the fence, it just depends on what the UIL decides to make the conference cutoffs. How do yall think they will do?

Also it looks like GISD is opting South Garland up to 6A again, as well as Lakeview and Naaman. What will happen to LC and NF? I believe SG participates in the 5A area contest despite being a 6A school, but maybe that's because it was just opted up. So will LC and NF also compete for 5A at the area contests as well?

32 minutes ago, BandNerd07 said:

Alright, so Dave Campbell's Texas Football posted the enrollment numbers some schools turned into the UIL for snapshot day. And it looks like Forney, Northwest and Princeton are pretty much guaranteed to move up to 6A and it looks like McKinney North is on the fence, it just depends on what the UIL decides to make the conference cutoffs. How do yall think they will do?

Also it looks like GISD is opting South Garland up to 6A again, as well as Lakeview and Naaman. What will happen to LC and NF? I believe SG participates in the 5A area contest despite being a 6A school, but maybe that's because it was just opted up. So will LC and NF also compete for 5A at the area contests as well?

All good questions. C gets more powerful with Forney. 

4 hours ago, BandNerd07 said:

I think opt-ups only affect football but I could be wrong.

I definitely think Forney is gonna be like Wylie East (assuming the continue keeping their momentum up) and will most likely make state out of this area next year. Top 3 are gonna stay the same for a long time unless either one of them falls/ has a cedar ridge year "not trying to diss or hate on CR I loved ya'lls show much just using the example as a reference" or get passed, Wylie will most likely continue to be a state qualifier, they've really found themselves, with those last two spots going between Prosper, Forney, Wylie East and Mckinney Body. Of course it's boa and not UIL, but Forney was a solid point above them at SA, which isn't nothing, but it will be interesting to see how things shake up next year with their addition to this already super stacked area 

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2023 at 2:55 PM, bozotx said:

Wow - its really interesting to see almost no comments about Wylie East. Its their 2nd year in 6A and 2nd trip to 6A state after 2 consecutive 5A state trips. It should be a tough task for them to play 1st at state and be followed by CTJ. Good luck, best wishes, and "high" box 5 scores for all Area C schools. 

Definitely didn't get the State results we hoped for, but thank you, this means a lot! We at East are more than ready to get into next season and earn our 5th year in a row at State, no question.