UIL 4A State Marching Contest 2023 (November 1)

Dave609

1 hour ago, waynet2010 said:

Randall is a big maybe because one week they are amazing but at area they had a kid fall and some mistakes. So it depends on if they put it all together and West Plains concern is content in the show.  But I could definitely see this being the finals. Would love to see all Canyon ISD schools make it

Even with a kid falling they were 1 and 2 in visuals in finals. I think they will be okay. And that kid won't fall again. 

2 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

After seeing Panther Creek’s finals run, I’d be very shocked if they don’t make finals

Also Panther Creek beat out Canton, last year’s bronze medalist. Don’t see them out of finals, plus the ordinal points were VERY close at Area finals for the top 4 with a big gap to 5th and lower. I think all 4 Area B bands will make finals.

1st Celina 10

2nd Anna 11

3rd Panther Creek 15

4th Canton 16

———State Qualifiers———

5th Kaufman 28 (tie)

6th Farmersville 28 (tie)

7th Aubrey 37

8th Sunnyvale 41

9th Krum 42

10th Community 47

14 minutes ago, tennertrumbow said:

Also Panther Creek beat out Canton, last year’s bronze medalist. Don’t see them out of finals, plus the ordinal points were VERY close at Area finals for the top 4 with a big gap to 5th and lower. I think all 4 Area B bands will make finals.

1st Celina 10

2nd Anna 11

3rd Panther Creek 15

4th Canton 16

———State Qualifiers———

5th Kaufman 28 (tie)

7th Aubrey 37

8th Sunnyvale 41

9th Krum 42

10th Community 47

Agreed. It was tight in finals but was a tiny bit more spread out in prelims. It probably has something to do with Celina going first. 

I honestly thought Panther creek was going to jump Anna to second place in finals. They had a great run. 

1 hour ago, tennertrumbow said:

1st Celina 10

2nd Anna 11

3rd Panther Creek 15

4th Canton 16

———State Qualifiers———

5th Kaufman 28 (tie)

7th Aubrey 37

8th Sunnyvale 41

9th Krum 42

10th Community 47

Yeah I really think all 4 of them make finals. Area A was kind of similar to that where the top 4 were similar scores to this one and 5th was a little ways back. Look forward to seeing the bands and good luck to all. Would love to see Canyon and Randall make finals again for the 2nd year in a row. And compete with some of the best bands in the state. 

The 7 judge panel will make things interesting. 
I also think people underestimate the bands that come out of area B(east) Panther Creek is scary good. Don’t write off Canton. They will be there at the end. 
Having seen Area C, I’m kind of pumped to see how they fare. The top three were upper echelon for sure. Sulphur has a real slick production, Paris was solid and clean, and NL was just electric from front to back. They might be the only thing I’ve seen that can really hang with Anna/Celina 
I still haven’t seen China Spring since Melissa but you know it’s gonna be cool. I have heard that everyone needs to watch out for Alvarado.

i don’t know if I’m buying the area A bands but hopefully will find a video soon. 

8 hours ago, MrsE said:

I’m pretty sure it’s a random draw. There’s actually already a document posted showing the draw order on the uil website. Am I misunderstanding something?

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/4A_Finals_Draw.pdf

The prelims are random but finals are done top 5 and bottom 5. That's usually how area works as well. 

3 minutes ago, danemom4 said:

The prelims are random but finals are done top 5 and bottom 5. That's usually how area works as well. 

Area B finals were definitely a random draw. You can tell based on the performance order  Celina placed first and played first. Anna placed second and played next to last.

1 hour ago, danemom4 said:

Looks like maybe it's just for state but most of the competitions we have gone to pretty much stick to this format.

MB_Rules_Advisory_Committee_12821_Actions.pdf 126.13 kB · 5 downloads

I’m pretty sure that’s outdated. A finals draw order is already posted to the uil website. I posted the link above. 

I’m surprised that Calallen made it third in their area this year. for the last two years, they’ve gotten first. Both Davenport and Grulla were close calls last year but this year they beat them by a ton. Davenports a fairly new school so it’s interesting that they were able to pass the two bands, and Grulla has been showing lots of improvement from how they did at prelims last year. Excited to see how the three bands play out at state! 

21 hours ago, Liam Allen said:

That is how it worked last year.  For example, China Spring drew 1st out of all state qualifying bands for finals performance order last year.  They got 2nd in prelims, so in finals they performed 6th at the beginning of the top 5 prelims bands.

Agree with this. Top 5 perform last 5. But still using the order as dictated by the published list. For instance, if China Spring is top 5, they will perform last in finals unless bands 22-26 are also top 5. 

that’s my understanding at least 

On 9/24/2023 at 10:15 PM, MrsE said:

I did. 

Anna and Celina are neck and neck. I don’t believe either have their full show on the field. It will be interesting to see how it comes together over the next few weeks. 

Sulphur Springs was incredibly loud which the crowd loved but did not show a lot of refinement or musicality. Get mad at me for saying that if you want, but it’s true. That doesn’t win anymore. 

North Lamar looked much stronger than they’ve looked in years. Canton looked about the same as last year. I personally would’ve put Canton over China Spring. I was surprised CS made finals. Again, another very loud band. They need to refine and show more contrast. 

I agree on the china springs thing at area at finals they came out with DCI warm up and tried to be a dci band is what it sounded like to me which is fine but kinda was like throwing it everyone’s face I don’t see what the big fuss is about with them… in my opinion 

if I’m wrong you can tell me lol 

12 hours ago, Bulldog1 said:

I agree on the china springs thing at area at finals they came out with DCI warm up and tried to be a dci band is what it sounded like to me which is fine but kinda was like throwing it everyone’s face I don’t see what the big fuss is about with them… in my opinion 

So I graduated from CS.  I can say with a high degree of confidence(I am now a music major) that the cluster chord to f open 5th warmup(DCI warmup) has been happening for years, and for good reason.  It helps get the kids used to the playing environment and gives them an opportunity to hear what it will sound like.  Tuning and listening varies from place to place, so it’s a good way to alleviate some of that stress.  They do tend to go the DCI style, which I love, but I understand it’s not for everyone.  

I would also like to add that the original post was in reaction to the Melissa Marching Showcase, which was a month ago.  They have gotten better since then.

On 10/24/2023 at 6:31 AM, danemom4 said:

As a band director, I can tell you that Area Finals is purely a random draw, not top 1/2, bottom 1/2. There is a discussion proposal presented to the UIL Marching Band Rules Advisory Committee for this to be considered in the future. Read about it here:

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/UIL_MB_RAC_Spring_2023_Minutes.pdf  

17 hours ago, TBonesNeverQuitGo said:

Agree with this. Top 5 perform last 5. But still using the order as dictated by the published list. For instance, if China Spring is top 5, they will perform last in finals unless bands 22-26 are also top 5. 

that’s my understanding at least 

None of this is correct. All prelims and finals at Area are random draws, not result based.

On 10/24/2023 at 11:45 PM, Bulldog1 said:

China Spring looked very good at Area. In prelims they got 5/1/2/2/3. Everyone else had at least one 9 or higher. In finals they got 1/1/1/5/1. They certainly deserved to win Area D.