UIL 4A State Marching Contest 2023 (November 1)

Dave609

1 hour ago, rudy12 said:

I think that concept of content as it relates to scores is misunderstood. A high level of difficulty does not and should not score as well as something slightly less demanding but clean. A lot of “crowd favorites” being listed here are extremely dirty right now. If they clean up, they will score better. If they don’t, then credit for their difficulty cannot be rewarded. It’s as simple as that. 

Also, there is a fundamental understanding among most good judges that marching while playing demanding music is more difficult than playing with choreo. So the risk/reward game being played by a lot of these bands should make for some interesting results

bottom line, 4A has never been this competitive or high level. Get your popcorn ready.

Hard agree! Thank you for saying it

2 hours ago, rudy12 said:

bottom line, 4A has never been this competitive or high level. Get your popcorn ready.

I absolutely agree. I think it's time to stop brushing off these smaller classes just because they arent 5A/6A. 4A has gotten so much more competitive in the past few years yet you hardly hear anything about it from anyone. 

5 hours ago, J-Mike16 said:

I absolutely agree. I think it's time to stop brushing off these smaller classes just because they arent 5A/6A. 4A has gotten so much more competitive in the past few years yet you hardly hear anything about it from anyone. 

I don't think 4a is nessesary getting "better" like in terms of scoring. I just think it's hard to just flat out say who the top 3 bands are now in the beginning of October. If anything the competition out there right now is not as good. In the past there were just 3 power house programs in the past like Argyle, Melissa, and Canton/ North Lamar that always dominated their areas. Most programs that move up that were a top program in 4a often take years to see any success in 5a. Princeton is a good example. They placed 2nd or 3rd at state in 4a almost every year for awhile. They moved to 5a in 2018 and just now are starting to be concerned as favorited to be finalists at area. Argyle and Melissa might change the way people view smaller school competitions though if they can be competitive at the state level for 5a. In my opinion Argyle has the best chance for that happening this year if they do make state and place well. 

On 10/6/2023 at 6:01 PM, LetsGoBrandon said:

I don't think 4a is nessesary getting "better" like in terms of scoring. I just think it's hard to just flat out say who the top 3 bands are now in the beginning of October. If anything the competition out there right now is not as good. In the past there were just 3 power house programs in the past like Argyle, Melissa, and Canton/ North Lamar that always dominated their areas. Most programs that move up that were a top program in 4a often take years to see any success in 5a. Princeton is a good example. They placed 2nd or 3rd at state in 4a almost every year for awhile. They moved to 5a in 2018 and just now are starting to be concerned as favorited to be finalists at area. Argyle and Melissa might change the way people view smaller school competitions though if they can be competitive at the state level for 5a. In my opinion Argyle has the best chance for that happening this year if they do make state and place well. 

What do you mean by not scoring higher? The too 4A band shows  are much more elaborate, difficult, and better executed than any of the shows 4-5 years ago. 

2022 Celina and Anna would beat anything I’ve seen 4A ever. and the early results would back up an opinion that they are still the ones to beat. And now everyone is elevating and evolving. It is indeed too early to call. Watch out for Panther Creek. Canton looks like they will continue being Canton. Sulphur Springs is  a legitimate contender. China Spring is great, and so is North Lamar. I haven’t seen any of the rest of the regular players but let’s expect them to be better than last year. 

5 hours ago, rudy12 said:

What do you mean by not scoring higher? The too 4A band shows  are much more elaborate, difficult, and better executed than any of the shows 4-5 years ago. 

2022 Celina and Anna would beat anything I’ve seen 4A ever. and the early results would back up an opinion that they are still the ones to beat. And now everyone is elevating and evolving. It is indeed too early to call. Watch out for Panther Creek. Canton looks like they will continue being Canton. Sulphur Springs is  a legitimate contender. China Spring is great, and so is North Lamar. I haven’t seen any of the rest of the regular players but let’s expect them to be better than last year. 

we are going to see some interesting results once we get to Area. I could definitely see some changes happen in Area B with who takes the final spot, Area D, and Area E.

6 hours ago, waynet2010 said:

Anyone know if there is a shot at 4A getting 30 bands to state? Or will it be similar to last year at mid 20’s?

the most that this conference will have at State this year is 27 bands. That is because-

Area A- is Advancing 4 Bands

Area B- At most will be able to send 5 Bands

Area C- is Advancing 5 Bands

Area D- At most will be able to send 6 Bands

Area E- is Advancing 7 Bands

25 minutes ago, Dave609 said:

the most that this conference will have at State this year is 27 bands. That is because-

Area A- is Advancing 4 Bands

Area B- At most will be able to send 5 Bands

Area C- is Advancing 5 Bands

Area E- is Advancing 7 Bands

So max would be 27 bands at 4A State. Just 1 more than 4A State in 2021 where 26 competed.

15 hours ago, Dave609 said:

I believe Area D will have 35-39 bands. If I counted correctly, they have Region 5 (1 band), 8 (8), 18 (6), 23 (0), 26 (5), 29 (4), 30 (8), 32 (3), plus four bands competing tonight in Region 27. Doesn't that mean 7 slots regardless of the R27 results?

17 minutes ago, bsk said:

I believe Area D will have 35-39 bands. If I counted correctly, they have Region 5 (1 band), 8 (8), 18 (6), 23 (0), 26 (5), 29 (4), 30 (8), 32 (3), plus four bands competing tonight in Region 27. Doesn't that mean 7 slots regardless of the R27 results?

OOPS I overstated it. I counted Boerne twice as they're listed twice at the texasmusicforms site and I messed up counting Region 18. So it's at 29 plus any of the four tonight, so 6 max is correct.

5 hours ago, bsk said:

OOPS I overstated it. I counted Boerne twice as they're listed twice at the texasmusicforms site and I messed up counting Region 18. So it's at 29 plus any of the four tonight, so 6 max is correct.

There’s only 3 4A bands in R29 and after today there’s officially 32 bands in Area D

23 hours ago, bsk said:

32 bands in Area D means 8-1/2 hours for prelim performances - at least 9-1/2 hours when you add in breaks - then probably an hour break before finals. And Area E is even larger! There will be a lot of tired kids, directors, judges, and volunteers by the end of the day.

Ik that’s the truth!

1 hour ago, fluteyboi said:

Bands with very early call times are going to feel it Saturday. Especially if those bands make it to finals. I'm rooting for them to push on through! 

Judges, directors, pit crews, semi drivers, volunteers, etc. will also be fried. The high temp is supposed to be 94 by the way!!

8 hours ago, Skillet2019 said:

In Pflugerville, it’s supposed to be 90°

weather.com says 93 (vs 94 yesterday). KXAN app says 95. All the TV channels say 95 for Austin, which should mean around 93 in Pflugerville.

One nice thing for the prop people - usually it's very windy at the Pfield but it's supposed to be relatively calm tomorrow. We'll see....

3 hours ago, bsk said:

weather.com says 93 (vs 94 yesterday). KXAN app says 95. All the TV channels say 95 for Austin, which should mean around 93 in Pflugerville.

One nice thing for the prop people - usually it's very windy at the Pfield but it's supposed to be relatively calm tomorrow. We'll see....

Ya, my NBC5 app just updated to 94° for Pflugerville tomorrow with a low of 66°