2023 BOA DFW (Oct. 7)

LeanderMomma

Krum first out of the gate (exhibition) finals. 
felt they got a lot out of 90ish members - loved the theme.    Maybe a little too much keyboard - would have liked more horn in part 4- maybe a slightly larger sound overall.   But well choreographed and covered a lot of field with limited members.    Great costumes.    Very nice effort !  

Aledo comes out hot from the first note.   Love the salsa vibe.   Entire field covered with props or people.   Woodwind feature easy to hear as no one else is making a noise.  Lots of movement around the field - not sure how difficult it is but visually interesting.    Guard has awesome orange dresses for uniforms.   Big sound toward the end of act 2-  

Not in love with the trombone solo in act 3 - band almost zombieish in the movements here.    Huge sound follows - they can clearly blow (about 200 members total).  

love the light and airy theme - sort of Cuban horns -  some interesting movements to end the show - sort of a swell to a crescendo.   
very solid effort!!!  

Bell with about 150ish members - huge brass sound - interesting choices to spread out sound all over the field - hard to hear woodwinds as they are so far removed.  

lots of choreo - but almost no actual props (hoops and stands)  there is so much going on the field but not sure it’s cohesive.    

the sound is excellent and the music selections very good as well - I’m not sure someone would be able to tell you what the theme was trying to communicate. 

overall, visually interesting and easy on the ears.    Brass will be what I remember.   

Wax with an entire city of props which is an interesting counter to the dearth that Bell had immediately preceding.  

so many - it feels like it may actually amplify the sound.  With only about 20 guard- the flags are still very big and colorful.  There’s literally dynamite on the field for props.   There are 32 props on the field.   About a 1-5 ratio!!  It definitely gives you the vibe they are after.  

theres definitely a “beef, it’s what’s for dinner” vibe and frankly, I love it.    

the choreo matches the vibe.   French horn solo in the ballad!!  (And he’s sitting on the dynamite!   Watch out!).   

the theme of prospecting is matched by the National Geographic soaring landscape music in the ballad - 

Definitely got a lot out of the 160 members  !  This was fun , bright , and attention grabbing.

nice program.   

3 minutes ago, Origin said:

I like this niche that Waxahachie has developed with the cute historical shows. The attention to detail with the visual design makes it so immersive. Really impressive and engaging music performance as always.

I preferred France a bit more to this one, but it was still pretty cool. They still found their nugget at the end of the day haha

Keller central with a very languid beginning which did amplify the hit with a smallish 160 for a KISD school -  lots of symmetry in the movements - more confidence in this sound from last year.    Nice to see.  
this program has come so far in just two weeks.   It’s unrecognizable.   Amazing growth in such a short time.  
Let’s hope to see the fourth part before Area!

Hope all these finalist are killin it. Gotta love the cooler night too. 

How soon does BOA usually post the prelim results. Curious to see where Rockwall finished. Only based on post I’ve seen today, predicting 15-17 Range. Love to see what areas they can work on. 

is BOA Prosper as stacked next week? Feels like our Area all over. Cant wait until that contest on 21st. May just camp out all day at Area. Haha 

3 minutes ago, JFNDOWBFAN said:

Hope all these finalist are killin it. Gotta love the cooler night too. 

How soon does BOA usually post the prelim results. Curious to see where Rockwall finished. Only based on post I’ve seen today, predicting 15-17 Range. Love to see what areas they can work on. 

is BOA Prosper as stacked next week? Feels like our Area all over. Cant wait until that contest on 21st. May just camp out all day at Area. Haha 

They'll post them after the event ends

SLC did not play their first note until a full minute into the program - but during that their flautist killed his solo.   Wow.  

for some reason- the program reminds me of Juliet Letters that Vandy performed two years back.    Big sound from only 170ish members.  

not one , not two, but three carriages.   Very BOA.  Beautiful swing flags in the ballad  -   
it’s a pretty program - dulcet and nostalgic   
a step up from last year - IMO

3 minutes ago, Gehrig4 said:

SLC did not play their first note until a full minute into the program - but during that their flautist killed his solo.   Wow.  

for some reason- the program reminds me of Juliet Letters that Vandy performed two years back.    Big sound from only 170ish members.  

not one , not two, but three carriages.   Very BOA.  Beautiful swing flags in the ballad  -   
it’s a pretty program - dulcet and nostalgic   
a step up from last year - IMO

Similarish backdrops and a love theme, they're preforming their show very well very beautiful

23 minutes ago, Origin said:

Keller Central bringing the energy and intensity! Everything is very exposed and stripped back, lots of demand in that opener. It makes me a liiiittle nervous seeing some 6A schools without any part of their closers with area being a week earlier this year.

Any of them should be fine, quite a few of these bands are used to slower rollouts usually anyways!

Timber Creek with generic uniforms - the sax solo in the first act after a huge hit is other worldly.   
Must be 50 guard and they are everywhere.    Highlighted in the ballad - with just gorgeous swing flags.  
better props than maybe they’ve ever had - this was the first time any part of the closer made the field.   Seems like there’s a little left yet but they better hurry. 
biggest sound to this point and very difficult music and choreo.   What growth in this program.   280 plus on the field.  

Clean this up and look out.   This is targeted for a UIL deep run.   

Marcus with far less props than I can remember but it feels more like a palate cleanser than a mistake. 
very crunchy chords in the beginning emanate confidence and purpose.  
also going with generic uniforms (love) - lines are super clean and the grey pants remind me of the dance number with Danny Kaye and Vera Ellen in White Christmas.  

every movement is smooth, calculated, and effortless. 
When you can do something in percussion that highlights the show- you’ve done something.  
didn't like the brass ensemble - felt a little disjointed 

but the closing was special and this is a great program.    Strength in simplicity and execution.  

13 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

I’ve given up hope of ever having 100% accurate placement predictions lol. All of these bands are so good and there are so many variables to account for when judging a performance in BOA. But I’m keep trying, it’s fun lol

The talent these kids have is just incredible. I’m in awe every year watching the top notch bands all the way down to the bands that are clearly doing it for the love of the music.