UIL 5A State Marching Contest 2023

Dave609

The 8 point difference yesterday between Rouse/Cedar Park and Leander leaves a LOT of room for other bands like Burleson Centennial/Forney/Aledo/Hendrickson/Lonestar to move into that 4th spot. Don’t forget Burleson Centennial was 5th in state in 2019 behind 4th place Rouse with about 50 less band members. This year’s band is leaps ahead of 2019.

Okay so after this weekend, here's what I'm thinking. Most of these bands are taking the 21st off, so it's gonna be interesting to see if it helps or hurts certain bands, as normally area is the weekend following region, may change if certain bands to compete this weekend: 

1st. Rouse ( I really, really believe) 

2nd. Cedar Park

3rd. Wakeland 

4th. Leander 

5th. Forney 

6th. Burleson Centennial 

7th. Hendrickson 

8th. Aledo 

9th. Friendswood 

10th. Lonestar 

11th. Roma 

12th. Lebanon Trail 

Idk some are pretty solid some more of guessing, will probably change after area but yeah here's where I'm at right now 

On 8/28/2023 at 3:28 PM, Detroit Rock City said:

After seeing Cedar Park last week, there is no way they don't win State again and it won't be close.  My kids have competed against them for the past 6 years and they looked really strong last week already. I was amazed at how cleaned they looked so early in the season.   

Cedar park looks amazing visually, but i’m a huge fan of rouse and their hornline, but if anyone can give cedar park a run for their money I definitely think it could be wakeland. They look so good this year and seeing them live really showed it to me

On 7/18/2023 at 10:48 AM, TrenBS said:

We will see, I personally want North to come out on top since its my now alma mater district, but will be happy with them qualifying for state, they are trying to fix the worst feeder in the district which is what caused their slump besides staff changes

same thing has happened to phs

Just now, tennertrumbow said:

lone star added a ton of new stuff to the show and is a different band since missing finals at Bedford. will be interesting to see how they fall in the mix of aledo, forney, and BC

all I can say for Forney is that we took not making finals and the show is a lot harder in a way (I got a free leg day and my skin broke out on design day)

50 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Okay everyone, after a crazy night of Area, I'm going to make my Finals predictions for this comp! These are based off one, area results/rankings; 2, how bands have done all season long at their respective comps and; 3, how bands tend to do/peak or not peak at state. Obviously, this comp is almost impossible to predict, but here's my best shot, gonna do placements and also a tier list below. We also have a LOT of first timers/been a minute since they've been at state, so that also makes things even harder. I'm assuming its's 12 to finals, but if it's more or less, please lmk so I can edit my predictions, forgot how they determine how many state finalist there are. Here we go: 

1st. Rouse HS 

2nd. Cedar Park HS

3rd. Wakeland HS

4th. Leander HS 

5th. Aledo HS

6th. Hendrickson HS

7th. Friendswood HS

8th. Burleson Centennial HS

9th. Lonestar HS

10th. Forney HS

11th. Mckinney North HS

12th. Roma HS 

---

First out: 

Richland HS 

So, IMO, the top 4 is going to be that, could be in any order. I feel like Aledo, Henny, F-wood are pretty much locks for finals, assuming they have really good performances, though placements could vary. 8th-12th is more of my personal opinion of how things will fold out, I'd be very surprised if BC, LS, and Forney didn't make finals, and the last two are more based on how successful their seasons have been. Roma for some reason always seems to get the short end of the stick at State, but hoping they get into finals this year, but nothings guaranteed. Would also be pretty surprised if MN didn't make finals. Here's my tier list: 

Top 4: Cedar Park, Leander, Rouse Wakeland 

Lock for finals: Aledo, Henny, Friendswood 

Very high chance of finals: Lonestar, Burleson Centennial, Forney

Fighting for last 2 spots: Mckinney North, Roma, Richland, Lebanon Trial, Foster

Could MAYBE slip into finals: Birdville, Lake Belton, Pieper 

I'm hoping for some surprises and some new finalist, best of luck to everyone competing, can't wait to see how things shake out! 

I could definitely see Sharyland or Pioneer from Area G in this conversation, they did exceptionally well at this week’s competition

17 minutes ago, DeadMascot said:

I could definitely see Sharyland or Pioneer from Area G in this conversation, they did exceptionally well at this week’s competition

Yeah, I'd say they are more in the possible finalist, but just looking at how they have done in the past, I don't seem them making finals here. I'd say more in the top of the bottom half, because while they have improved a lot, so have the bands that are consistent state finalist. 

14 minutes ago, tennertrumbow said:

How in the world did all of Area H end up in the same block with 3 of them going back-to-back-to-back??? Wakeland is in a really great spot do place high at in Prelims, If Mckinney North has a really strong performance that will be really good for them seeing they are in the same block as our current 5A medalist 

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

Okay everyone, after a crazy night of Area, I'm going to make my Finals predictions for this comp! These are based off one, area results/rankings; 2, how bands have done all season long at their respective comps and; 3, how bands tend to do/peak or not peak at state. Obviously, this comp is almost impossible to predict, but here's my best shot, gonna do placements and also a tier list below. We also have a LOT of first timers/been a minute since they've been at state, so that also makes things even harder. I'm assuming its's 12 to finals, but if it's more or less, please lmk so I can edit my predictions, forgot how they determine how many state finalist there are. Here we go: 

1st. Rouse HS 

2nd. Cedar Park HS

3rd. Wakeland HS

4th. Leander HS 

5th. Aledo HS

6th. Hendrickson HS

7th. Friendswood HS

8th. Burleson Centennial HS

9th. Lonestar HS

10th. Forney HS

11th. Mckinney North HS

12th. Roma HS 

---

First out: 

Richland HS 

So, IMO, the top 4 is going to be that, could be in any order. I feel like Aledo, Henny, F-wood are pretty much locks for finals, assuming they have really good performances, though placements could vary. 8th-12th is more of my personal opinion of how things will fold out, I'd be very surprised if BC, LS, and Forney didn't make finals, and the last two are more based on how successful their seasons have been. Roma for some reason always seems to get the short end of the stick at State, but hoping they get into finals this year, but nothings guaranteed. Would also be pretty surprised if MN didn't make finals. Here's my tier list: 

Top 4: Cedar Park, Leander, Rouse Wakeland 

Lock for finals: Aledo, Henny, Friendswood 

Very high chance of finals: Lonestar, Burleson Centennial, Forney

Fighting for last 2 spots: Mckinney North, Roma, Richland, Lebanon Trial, Foster

Could MAYBE slip into finals: Birdville, Lake Belton, Pieper 

I'm hoping for some surprises and some new finalist, best of luck to everyone competing, can't wait to see how things shake out! 

I actually do see this (ouch for Forney), but I can see this happening.

1 minute ago, Tubalord11 said:

I don't like to use Area as much as other things for predicting comps. The number of times I've seen a band have massive success at other comps but then do terrible at area or vice versa makes me hesitant to use Area as a good predictor for state. I mean take Centennial for example. I don't think anyone was expecting them to place 3rd and have that bad of visual scores after getting 2nd at a US bands comp, tying with Southlake Carroll in prelims, and winning the BISD comp. I think Richland has a great shot at making state finals, but I don't think Area is the best representation of bands it terms of well they will do at other comps. Just more of a gut feeling if you will 

We will have to wait and see! Richland has had one season to remember for sure! I personally would like to see them in Finals, but who knows what the outcome will be.

37 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

I could definitely see y’all placing higher! It’s just super competitive this year, and a lot of bands are having incredible season, but ultimately it will come down to the judges 

I can see Forney swapping with Hendrickson, especially considering their luck at BOAs (I feel horrible for them), but I can see any of the other bands swapping too (besides Rouse, Rouse is my prediction to win).

1 minute ago, saxbark said:

i see what your saying, but Richland got 1st at a us bands comp and 1st at a boa regional. it will be exciting to see how it all plays out. 

Yeah again in all honestly I do think they have a great shot at making finals, I just don't think people should underestimate certain bands because they didn't do well at area, but it will be exciting to see for sure how the cards fold, would love to see Richland in finals! 

1 minute ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

I can see Forney swapping with Hendrickson, especially considering their luck at BOAs (I feel horrible for them), but I can see any of the other bands swapping too (besides Rouse, Rouse is my prediction to win).

for sure! It's hard to predict Henny with them going to all BOA comps this year minus area, which they won so that's something. I think Austin was just they weren't at finalist level, Prosper they 100% should have made finals IMO, some wonky judging for them there, but I think they will do just fine here, but I'm really excited to see how things shake out, lots of bands here have had very successful seasons, will probably the most competitive state for both 5A and 6A we have ever had!