For pushups, I have one word that kills it: Hazing.

A few districts have had incidents within the last five years where a student was hazed, and as a result they fell harsh upon enforcing hazing policies. Pushups and laps that are required for discipline are often viewed upon as hazing, because they can endanger the health of someone if that person is pushed too far. Yeah, I know, ten pushups isn't going to give a permanent injury to someone, nor is running a couple of laps. But when a mom steps in and yells about her baby being treated "harshly", the school and district can't do much more than side with the mom, mainly due to public pressure. I know, it's stupid, but every now and then a kid might have an asthma attack from running laps, and then the directors have a serious situation on their hands. The schools simply can't take the chance. The many who have posted about having pushups and laps, though, I suppose haven't had any incidents recently. Be thankful.

You can get rid of the "hazing" threat by placing the rehearsal rules and punishments in the Marching Band Handbook which should be read and signed by the parent, and leave an opportunity for the parent to opt-out of certain punishments and/or activities due to medical reasons.

So was I breaking the eight hour rule when my freshmen despritly needed help learing how to march and I stayed after school to help him? It was just two out of 6 so it wasn't really a sectional it was an individaul one on one thing... And do swingstionals count? We stayed after to practice tuba swings can they penalize us for that? It had absolutly nothing to do with our marching show....

I don't think pushups are really necessary. My band used to do them but then the band revolted and just refused to run laps or do pushups. The directors couldn't kick them all out so they relented. Since we are doing band for the love of it we usually behave and those who don't get publicly embarassed not physically tortured...

So was I breaking the eight hour rule when my freshmen despritly needed help learing how to march and I stayed after school to help him? It was just two out of 6 so it wasn't really a sectional it was an individaul one on one thing... And do swingstionals count? We stayed after to practice tuba swings can they penalize us for that? It had absolutly nothing to do with our marching show....

If adding up your normal practices and these ad-hoc practices causes you to exceed 8 hours, then yes.

Normally, you don't use the entire 8 hours for normal practice so that these ad-hoc practices can take place legally.

I don't think pushups are really necessary. My band used to do them but then the band revolted and just refused to run laps or do pushups. The directors couldn't kick them all out so they relented. Since we are doing band for the love of it we usually behave and those who don't get publicly embarassed not physically tortured...

If you're teaching him how to march, then you shouldn't have any problem. If you're teaching how to march the show, that's a different story.

If you're teaching him how to march, then you shouldn't have any problem.  If you're teaching how to march the show, that's a different story.

Nope, fundamentals are still a part of the activity. Remember, though, the 8-hour rule doesn't take affect until the start of the school year.

For pushups, I have one word that kills it: Hazing.

I know that I'm in a different environment all together, however, I see push ups as a great reminder that things went wrong. When I correct my Soldiers and make them do pushups or flutter kicks, they get sore and remember, "My arms and abs hurt, I won't be late again." It is a lot easier than doing all the paper work evolved for written reprimands.

Now Hazing is

Yup, we've had pushups, but not often enough to get any threats about hazing...I think that it proved the point, but like Danpod said...

The "worst" times I ever had in marching band involved me standing at attention for what seemed like hours in the 100 degree heat.

I think that this was the most effective punishment, especially when everyone was furious at the ones who caused it. Dirty looks from peers tend to get the point across.

During my time, there was a terrible hazing incident in the District (Not involving Band). When it came out on the news, the District took action and made EVERYONE take a Hazing Quiz to make sure everyone knew the difference. I kid you not, I took the quiz six times in four different classes. I know the Math doesn't add up.

Back then, we weren't allowed to do push-ups, even if everyone in the section volunteered to do it. A year later, the hazing rule let up a little and we were allowed to do push-ups and stuff like that.

Just knowing that your friends are mad at you is enough to develop an eating disorder, let alone take care of your marching and musicality.

I have been blessed with an awesome school and section. We rehearse in silence unless a band director, techs, or field officers tells us something to improve on. We talk during our "two-minute" water breaks. The second we hit the field, dead silence occurs. It is truly amazing. It is not something that can just be done. People have to understand why their is a need to be quiet. Thus there in no need for push-ups, laps, etc. I guess that is why we get so much accomplished.

I have been blessed with an awesome school and section. We rehearse in silence unless a band director, techs, or field officers tells us something to improve on. We talk during our "two-minute" water breaks. The second we hit the field, dead silence occurs. It is truly amazing. It is not something that can just be done. People have to understand why their is a need to be quiet. Thus there in no need for push-ups, laps, etc. I guess that is why we get so much accomplished.

what school are you from?

I don't think our entire band got completely quiet ONCE during the entire year. Our director has no control over anyone, it's really sad... but true.