1) If a section leader calls a sectional, and the directors or any non-student people are at a sectional, does it count towards the eight hour rule? Like if I call a trumpet sectional, the only people there are me and the rest of my section, no adults or anything.

also

2) what's your take on push-ups during rehearsals? We don't have to do them, but I've heard rumors around the band that we may end up doing them next year if we don't act straight or something.

Thanks to those of you who reply =)

1) yep, it counts in the 8 hour rule if its held at school.

2) our band this year if they are talking, then we do 10 pushups, if we talk again, 10 additional pushups. Its part of disipline, this is the 1st year we had to them. What was the result? Reaching finals in a contest after 3 years and straight 1s at UIL. All about disipline.

Im pretty sure as long as its not at the school and u dont make it required it doesnt count against the 8 hour rule. i may be wrong/

Not quite. It doesn't matter where the rehearsal is, it can be at the school or anywhere else. The problem is that if anyone in a position of power (director, drum major, squad leader, upperclassman, etc) called it (or in any way organized it) and required or even "strongly suggested" that you be there, then it counts towards the 8 hours.

Not quite. It doesn't matter where the rehearsal is, it can be at the school or anywhere else. The problem is that if anyone in a position of power (director, drum major, squad leader, upperclassman, etc) called it (or in any way organized it) and required or even "strongly suggested" that you be there, then it counts towards the 8 hours.

a certain sectional is at home and it counts as an 8 hour rule? plain stupid. i dont think anyone will even notice about that anyways

Whoa whoa there is one major technicality that is being missed...

Sectionals can still be held as long as its not marching related. That means no marching music or drill is covered. We hold ensembles during marching season for region music, so it doesn't count.

And saxwarrior and threevalvecircus, if you go around bragging you break the 8-hour rule, someone who doesn't like your bands will read this and eagerly forward it to UIL.

Sectionals can still be held as long as its not marching related. That means no marching music or drill is covered. We hold ensembles during marching season for region music, so it doesn't count.

That is correct. The 8-hour rule is 8 hours per activity. Marching Band is one activity, Concert Band is a different activity, Baseball is a different activity, etc.

Whoa whoa there is one major technicality that is being missed...

And saxwarrior and threevalvecircus, if you go around bragging you break the 8-hour rule, someone who doesn't like your bands will read this and eagerly forward it to UIL.

meh...i doubt someone from the Grand Prairie Band reads this forum

• 5 weeks later...

ok so the thing is if a student leader is to call a sectional and the director gives no instruction then it wouldnt go against the 8 hour UIL rule. i know one day almost every section had a rehersal on the same day. as long as there is NO instructor giving help then its ok. talk to the UIL people. they can help you i would think.

ok so the thing is if a student leader is to call a sectional and the director gives no instruction then it wouldnt go against the 8 hour UIL rule. i know one day almost every section had a rehersal  on the same day. as long as there is NO instructor giving help then its ok. talk to the UIL people.  they can help you i would think.

That is absolutely incorrect.

The UIL 8-Hour Rule Q&A can be found here:

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/music/eight_hour_qa.html

From that document:

Q. If the drum major or section leader calls an extra rehearsal for individuals or sections of the band will the extra rehearsal count towards the eight hours?

A. Yes

You may be getting confused because of this question:

Q. Does voluntary practice for activities such as all district, all region or all state tryouts count towards the eight hour limitation on marching band rehearsals?

A. No

Note that it says that practice for those activities do not count towards the practice limitations placed on Marching Band.

The basic guideline is that Individual practice (nobody, not even a squad leader, is coaching you) does not count towards your 8 hours, but any group practice that is geared towards Marching Band does.