5A Area E 2019

After today's regionals, only 11 bands will be going to Area E's competition, which means no prelims and only two advance to state. 

Foster

Friendswood

Manvel

Shadow Creek

Barbers Hill

Baytown Lee

Goose Creek

Paetow

Waltrip

Brenham

Waller

Looks like Friendswood will take the first spot no doubt, and Foster and Shadow Creek will go head-to-head for that second spot, considering how close they placed at Katy a couple weeks back. Waller might have a chance too. 

This is going to be an odd Area Contest for who is going to earn the 2nd state spot.

Foster, Shadow Creek, Paetow, Waller, Barbers Hill - all of them had VERY clean performances at region so it could really be any group who earns that second state spot - Paetow was also at Katy Marching in exhibition - does anyone have their scores?  

Or we could all be surprised from the results like what happened last year at area in Legacy Stadium  :blink: with no Finals performance and only a one and done, there's definitely potential for surprises with results

Here's my personal recap - drove to watch Area E cause it was a little closer than going to the Area I for me!  :D  

Notable performances I saw: 

Paetow HS - WOW! For having to perform first and in truly the absolute worst weather conditions out of every ensemble at this Area, real feel of 45 degrees and the wind picked up around 9:58 right before their performance, they had FANTASTIC Area run through for being such a young program! Big sound from their brass and a VERY cool show concept with the Monster characters throughout! 

Friendswood HS - A-MAZE-ING! Their full ensemble sound is just GORGEOUS! LOVED their music selections for their show and the color guard as usual had a phenomenal performance in every way! Also the vocals and singing with a marching band is SO difficult and she did a FANTASTIC job - and threw down on marimba too! 

Foster - INCREDIBLE performance visually and musically! They perform their show to the fullest extent and I LOVED the way that they utilized multiple areas of the field during their performance with their props! VERY clever moments throughout their performance! 

Barbers Hill - BIG sound from this group! Lots of very precise moments visually and musically throughout! 

Manvel - GREAT performance from start to finish! Tons of great isolated moments musically throughout their show!  

Shadow Creek - ON FIRE! For being another very young program, they had an OUTSTANDING performance of their show! Their music selections were PERFECT for their show, and those volcanoes are AWESOME! 

Brenham - FANTASTIC! Their show with the four different stages was GREAT from start to finish! LOTS of very cool moments in this show! I felt terribly for their vocal narrator whose mic died RIGHT at the start of the show so we couldn't experience the powerful narration that normally would be heard throughout! 

Results: 
Friendswood 
Foster 
Shadow Creek (SA)  

Takeaways (just my personal opinions): 
No surprises from the top three for me. Friendswood, Foster, and Shadow Creek were absolutely PHENOMENAL in every way with their performances musically and visually! The only result that did truly surprise me, I was SHOCKED that Paetow did not finish in the top 6, after seeing all the performances throughout the day I had them 5/6. 

Overall there were a OUTSTANDING performances from every band in this Area, and I'm EXTREMELY curious to see what will happen with this Area in the future and if they are going to redraw/realign the area after this was hands down, the smallest and most lopsided Area contest out of all the Areas in the state. 

REALLY looking forward to driving to San Antonio and seeing all the bands at State! 

Was fortunate to find an opening in my schedule to come watch this competition, and was absolutely amazed by several of these bands despite there being so few! Really was a shame to see that only two would advance to State, I personally thought Shadow Creek's performance was incredible in almost every aspect, so they must be bummed.

Nonetheless, kudos to Foster and Friendswood for crafting such clean shows, and I wish them luck in San Antonio!