2019 HEB Marching Contest

Based on past results and trends I feel like this contest generally favors cleanliness to difficulty and the judging is not at all indicative of BOA results.

I think the top five will be Keller, Marcus, Prosper, Waxahachie, and Wakeland in any order really. All of these bands are returning top 5 finishers from last year so I think they should have continued success. And after Waxahachie’s incredibly successful first UIL 6A season last year, I think the judges should really love them.

Thoughts in random order:

Marcus: I honestly have no clue what Marcus could be up to this year but after winning the HEB Drumline contest, they surely should have a great showing here. It’s not really a surprise that Marcus won the drumline contest because as far as I know, they kept their fantastic percussion director through the traditions they made last year. I think Marcus should easily take the percussion and color guard captions.

Prosper: There has been some talk about staff changes that may effect them but they always seem to do extremely well at this competition so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. I haven’t seen their show so I don’t have much to go off of.

Waxahachie: They are easily one of the most UIL friendly bands in Texas. They remind me of how Keller was a few years ago. I fully expect them to do very well here as the judging tends to be more similar to UIL. They have a history of very strong music performances and could be a strong contender for the music caption or even win the whole thing.

Wakeland: They are incredibly consistent and usually give very strong early visual performances. I haven’t seen their show but they are always very strong.

Keller: I am biased so I will try to be objective and make my opinions obvious. They are taking a ton of risks visually this year. The pit setup is completely different to what they’ve ever done and there is SO MUCH drill in-front of the front side line. It definitely adds a lot of difficulty and an interesting performance aspect in my opinion. The music, especially in the brass, is more difficult than anything they have done before. I also love how they are injecting a ton of “Keller” personality into the show. You can see their logo in the drill and on a prop and the subtle “K” on the guard costume. It reminds me of the “W” set that The Woodlands does. also reminds me of how Marcus would hide their logo in props and stuff.

Based on past results and trends I feel like this contest generally favors cleanliness to difficulty and the judging is not at all indicative of BOA results.

I think the top five will be Keller, Marcus, Prosper, Waxahachie, and Wakeland in any order really. All of these bands are returning top 5 finishers from last year so I think they should have continued success. And after Waxahachie’s incredibly successful first UIL 6A season last year, I think the judges should really love them.

Thoughts in random order:

Marcus: I honestly have no clue what Marcus could be up to this year but after winning the HEB Drumline contest, they surely should have a great showing here. It’s not really a surprise that Marcus won the drumline contest because as far as I know, they kept their fantastic percussion director through the traditions they made last year. I think Marcus should easily take the percussion and color guard captions.

Prosper: There has been some talk about staff changes that may effect them but they always seem to do extremely well at this competition so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. I haven’t seen their show so I don’t have much to go off of.

Waxahachie: They are easily one of the most UIL friendly bands in Texas. They remind me of how Keller was a few years ago. I fully expect them to do very well here as the judging tends to be more similar to UIL. They have a history of very strong music performances and could be a strong contender for the music caption or even win the whole thing.

Wakeland: They are incredibly consistent and usually give very strong early visual performances. I haven’t seen their show but they are always very strong.

Keller: I am biased so I will try to be objective and make my opinions obvious. They are taking a ton of risks visually this year. The pit setup is completely different to what they’ve ever done and there is SO MUCH drill in-front of the front side line. It definitely adds a lot of difficulty and an interesting performance aspect in my opinion. The music, especially in the brass, is more difficult than anything they have done before. I also love how they are injecting a ton of “Keller” personality into the show. You can see their logo in the drill and on a prop and the subtle “K” on the guard costume. It reminds me of the “W” set that The Woodlands does. also reminds me of how Marcus would hide their logo in props and stuff.

We just got to wait and see what happens. I just know you don’t want to miss these shows. We have all been working really hard and can’t wait to put on fantastic shows!

Class AAA

1. Whitesboro

Color guard: Whitesboro

Percussion: Whitesboro

Music: Whitesboro

Visual: Whitesboro

GE: Whitesboro

HEB Class AAAA

1. Argyle

2. Krum

Color guard: Argyle

percussion: Argyle