2019 5A Area B

what happened?

A Twitter post from a band showed that they had started to learn drill on 7/31 one day prior to the strict UIL rule against starting to learn drill before 8/1. No need to not have this out in the open. It happened and can and should be discussed.

A Twitter post from a band showed that they had started to learn drill on 7/31 one day prior to the strict UIL rule against starting to learn drill before 8/1. No need to not have this out in the open. It happened and can and should be discussed.

It has been discussed.  However, when accounts are clearly made with the sole purpose of trolling the program, that's when the moderators have to step in.

It has been discussed.  However, when accounts are clearly made with the sole purpose of trolling the program, that's when the moderators have to step in.

Your board and you can do as you wish but I'll say that it certainly has not been discussed. The fact is a clear UIL violation occurred and the UIL decided not to act. Just shows the inconsistency at the top of UIL and how they enforce the rules they put in place. I don't think the post was meant as a slight to the kids of that program but at the lack of consistency at the top of UIL and also a defense of the kids that may have lost an extra opportunity to perform due to someone that broke clearly defined rules. I mean if I were Roma I'd be furious and I'd use this a prime example of the issues that are rampant at the top of UIL. 

Let's get back to talking about all the great bands in Area B! The four bands advancing to State will have a great chance at State finals. My favorite moment of the whole contest was all those trombones from Wylie East. First there were 8...and then 16... and then 40 trombones! Where did they come from? Wow! And those guys finished 4th! What a collection of great bands in one area contest!

I have been a hardcore lurker but had to sign up to address this:  You need to delete your recent comments.  Posting this can only hurt the program you represent which means it hurts the kids most of all.  

Area B had tough competition. Some amazing groups were bound to be left out, and they were. The bands that ultimately qualified were all phenomenal as well but that isn't even why you are crying foul. The Roma situation is unfortunate, but without being a part of that band or decision, I do not feel it appropriate to discuss as part of something where you just didn't like the results. Apples to oranges.  

Unfortunately for some kids, you have taken this to a new level and have likely caused some damage. You can't undo some things that have been said in this forum and elsewhere.

Point fingers in your own mind if you want, but do not do it in places where it affects others opinions of a band or kids opinions of a competition and the people who were chosen to judge.  I have heard these words - almost word for word - already repeated from a child who likely doesn't even know about this forum yet.  Kids are gullible and often believe what they hear from the adults around them. They should not be hearing things like this and the posts that were removed from an adult they trust.  

The UIL judging system and its antiquated rubric and lack of relevance to the activity as it is today is a discussion for another thread.....