Area B 2018

I could see Timber Creek doing very well at area after a 1.6 lead over coppell at Midland, its early season but still.

Remember how differently boa and uil are scored however.

While there are scoring differences between BOA and UIL, don't forget Timber Creek has been moving up in both groups for several years now. They are a candidate for most improved over the previous three years and were the top band that didn't advance to State out of Area B last time. There's nothing quite like coming that close and then staying home to motivate the kids. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the heartbreakers instead of the heartbroken at Area B this time.

While there are scoring differences between BOA and UIL, don't forget Timber Creek has been moving up in both groups for several years now. They are a candidate for most improved over the previous three years and were the top band that didn't advance to State out of Area B last time. There's nothing quite like coming that close and then staying home to motivate the kids. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the heartbreakers instead of the heartbroken at Area B this time.

Ugh I still can’t get over how unfair it is that this area has like 7-10 bands that deserve to make state and only 5 (maybe 6) will make it.

Ugh I still can’t get over how unfair it is that this area has like 7-10 bands that deserve to make state and only 5 (maybe 6) will make it.

I agree it's frustrating but here's what I've learned. The system is far from perfect, but it works in a way that significantly contributes to making Texas bands collectively the strongest in the country. No other state has our depth. It's not even close. Just ask Avon after making the trip to BOA SA. In Area B and other highly competitive Areas some very strong bands will not make the trip to State in order to make room for bands from other less competitive Areas. While that may not seem fair it is extremely helpful. The State Marching Contest has two goals. Recognition of excellence in the form of selecting Champions is obvious. The goal of spreading excellence to other programs is less obvious but probably significantly more important in the long-term. The bands in Area B that just miss the cut and stay home already know what excellence looks and sounds like. They face it every week in competitions here. They already know they need to get better. Staying home can be highly motivational in this situation. And nobody who stays home is likely to make Finals at State so the selection of a Champion is unaffected. However, the band that makes the trip to State from a much less competitive Area may be getting their first real exposure to excellence because they don't face it locally and their program doesn't see the value in going to BOA events or can't afford it. For them the State experience can be inspiring as well as contagious. Now they know what it takes to win and the competitive fire ignites. They take it home and begin the hard work of getting better. It spreads too because their local competition sees the improvement and must get better or get left behind. It's tough love for a band like Timber Creek who has to take one for TeamTexas when they just missed the cut in 2016, but look how much stronger they are now. And somewhere out there is a group of kids and their Director who got their minds blown by watching Flower Mound send Leonardo da Vinci's contraption flying off into the sunset. They have seen what is possible and it changed them forever.

So yeah, it kind of sucks. But it also works really well.

I think its great to see some of these schools being talked about but I can't help but wonder what everyone's thoughts will be after the next couple of weeks.  With HEB, BOA Austin, and BOA DFW right around the corner I think we will have a good read of the landscape heading into regional's and area. While the schools being talked about do have good shows, I have seen them, I think there are some schools that have been casually mentioned that will definitely impress when the shows are seen. These next few contests will be unbelievably hard to make finals in let alone medal at.  I really think we will see some new players establish themselves as real contenders this year.  

New prediction. To advance for state with what I’ve seen in that past 2 weeks

No order advancing

Keller

Prosper

Haltom

Timber

Ld bell

And if six coppell

Keller -

They sound and look really

Good already and are a lock

Prosper-

With only 4 min of the show last night they rocked it . Although they have a lot to learn left. I don’t think it’ll effect them . They still are killing it

Haltom- although the second half of the show last night was really messy they do have the whole show on the field . Just didn’t march the closer last night. And they have a lot of time to grow . As well as what was good such as the beginning of the show was really really good .

Timber - although I like the show a lot . They as well have a lot of things to improve and room for growth. With this being said I feel as they have improved so much in such little time and it’s incredb

Ld bell- although I’m not a big fan of the show this year. The guard looks incredible. Musically it needs work but nothing that couldn’t be fixed and needs adjustment front to back but again nothing that can’t be fixed .

Coppell - I love coppell and what they do and when was the last time they didn’t advance to state or make state finals

. They have incredible player and a beautiful sound .

New prediction. To advance for state with what I’ve seen in that past 2 weeks

No order advancing

Keller

Prosper

Haltom

Timber

Ld bell

And if six coppell

Keller -

They sound and look really

Good already and are a lock

Prosper-

With only 4 min of the show last night they rocked it . Although they have a lot to learn left. I don’t think it’ll effect them . They still are killing it

Haltom- although the second half of the show last night was really messy they do have the whole show on the field . Just didn’t march the closer last night. And they have a lot of time to grow . As well as what was good such as the beginning of the show was really really good .

Timber - although I like the show a lot . They as well have a lot of things to improve and room for growth. With this being said I feel as they have improved so much in such little time and it’s incredb

Ld bell- although I’m not a big fan of the show this year. The guard looks incredible. Musically it needs work but nothing that couldn’t be fixed and needs adjustment front to back but again nothing that can’t be fixed .

Coppell - I love coppell and what they do and when was the last time they didn’t advance to state or make state finals

. They have incredible player and a beautiful sound .

I agree with you keller is a lock and prosper came out of no where an Haltom was a little rough but nothing they can’t fix and I heard they just added a lot of that stuff too

Timber i think will make it as long as they stay on track

After seeing Austin prelims, we might need to be on the lookout for Southlake Carroll Senior High School to slip into the super stacked finals here. There isnt a lot of room for them, but they looked pretty good and placed 12th in a really good field when they were performing in the rain. Other outside chances that havent really been talked about would be Trinity and Fossil Ridge. Not very likely to make finals, but on a good year for them something unexpected could happen. Trinity is going to Indy Super Regional this year, so who knows?

After seeing Austin prelims, we might need to be on the lookout for Southlake Carroll Senior High School to slip into the super stacked finals here. There isnt a lot of room for them, but they looked pretty good and placed 12th in a really good field when they were performing in the rain. Other outside chances that havent really been talked about would be Trinity and Fossil Ridge. Not very likely to make finals, but on a good year for them something unexpected could happen. Trinity is going to Indy Super Regional this year, so who knows?

I saw Southlake at halftime, when it was dry, on the Friday night before BOA Austin and based on that performance I would be shocked to see them make Finals at BOA DFW or advance out of Area B. Rain can easily lead to misleading results in marching contests just like it can for football games. Some bands, or more specifically some show designs, are less affected. I agree Southlake seems to be headed in the right direction and I'm glad to see it. I just don't think they have returned to Finals or State form yet. It is early to be making predictions for Area but BOA DFW is only a week away so we'll know more soon.

I'm guessing you were streaming FloMarching and didn't see them live. That can also affect impressions as the differences between bands tend to be compressed by video.

I don't think they are competing at DFW. I watched on FloMarching and was pleasantly surprised by their performance, though I had them behind Westwood also. The design does seem a bit dependent on the large number of props and the band didn't have enough standout moments for me, but I still think they shouldn't be overlooked.

Edit: I went back and looked at my notes and I had rouse ahead of them, too. Had them in 14th.

Mansfield High School has been doing some really great things these past years. I wouldn’t be surprised if they made state.

1)Keller

2)Haltom

3)Coppell

4)Duncanville

5) Mansfield High School

Mansfield has been doing some good things this year, but the show still is a little sloppy. Still needs a lot of work done to it to advance to state with such a hard district.

Regarding Haltom (I haven't seen the show so take this as you will), it's probably an endurance issue. If the end of the show begins to collapse, most of the time it means the band as a whole needs to work on using their energy effectively and push to the end.

I agree . I almost believe it could be the fact that a lot of the program is freshman and they don’t have them at certain mentality yet. Although I will say the first two movements are breathe taking . Just those last few need work . And I believe that since the results that happened Saturday happened like they did. They are now gonna push even harder to be among the best of the best