Area E 2018

These are just my own personal opinions as an unbiased music major who has seen all these schools perform this season.

1: Pearland: Currently the best performing band in the area in my opinion. The only true lock for state in the area. Only weakness I know of is visual execution, but I saw them at BOA Conroe which was a few weeks ago so im sure they have improved.

2: SFA: In my opinion, the cleanest drill in the area this year. There biggest weakness right now is ensemble sound which lacks power, but still has a very reasonant, warm feel to it. If 5 advance, id say there a lock.

3: Brazoswood: huge improvement since BOA Mcallen. One of my favorite shows of the year, carried by their very talented trombone section. Similar to SFA, there sound isnt as powerful as Pearland, but is still very reasonant and clear.

Dawson: Very very clean, but lacks difficulty and GE. Should do well at UIL.

Clements: Kind of an enigma. visual design and execution is a huge weakness from what I saw at the Katy festival, but they play very well. That being said, everyone at this caliber in UIL plays well, so its hard to say where they will place.

Clear Brook: Similar to Dawson, very solid program that lacks demand. Not quite as strong as 17 but very good band nonetheless.

Travis: By far the best this band has ever been. Very entertaining show performed at a very high level, and while it likely wont advance to state, it is just about a lock for area finals.

Cityscapes, I’ve always enjoyed and respected your predictions. Your opinions are unbiased and logical, going off of what you see and not just hearsay.

Thanks! As college music student nothing is more fun that exploring Houstons different marching contests.

Everyone will have their own school higher. These are just my own personal opinions as an unbiased music major who has seen all these schools perform this season.

Fair enough. Thank you for your more detailed input. We’re hitting the visual aspect of our show hard this week, rain pending, so that we can be a harder hitter at area

Fair enough. Thank you for your more detailed input. We’re hitting the visual aspect of our show hard this week, rain pending, so that we can be a harder hitter at area

Good luck! Im sure it will go well.

Indeed! 4 would’ve been a bit more nervewracking...

finalists (no order)

Dawson*

Pasadena Memorial

SFA*

Clements*

Pearland*

Clear Brook

Brazoswood*

Travis

Dickinson

Ridge Point

*=state qualifier

There is a rumor going around that Brazoswood may be disqualified due to marching failing students. Any confirmation?

Would that mean only 4 advance?

I've heard nothing of the sort.

IF something like that happened, I believe it would decrease the number of programs allowed to advance to State.

Certainly Brazoswood knows the UIL rules?

Still an unfounded rumor.  I'm double checking with people just to make sure.

The Woodlands was disqualified from State Contest in 2008 for unknowingly marching an ineligible member.  Rules do get broken from time to time and it's not always done with malicious intent.  Hope everything is good because Brazoswood has a good shot at making State.

Still an unfounded rumor. I'm double checking with people just to make sure.

The Woodlands was disqualified from State Contest in 2008 for unknowingly marching an ineligible member. Rules do get broken from time to time and it's not always done with malicious intent. Hope everything is good because Brazoswood has a good shot at making State.

It would be a real shame to end their season so early when they could go so much further

Only 24 bands are on the list for Area E this Saturday. 4 bands for certain will be advancing. This competition should have a handful of great performances and bands in the running to do great things at State. The top contenders for the 4 spots in much opinion are...

Austin

Pearland

Dawson

Clements

Brazoswood

Dickinson

Clear Brook

Travis

I believe the most competitive bands for the 4 spots will be the first 5 bands listed above. Brazoswood and Austin just slipped above Pearland at BOA Conroe. Austin and pearland came in 1st and 2nd at Friendswood with Dawson and Clear Brook in 4th and 6th. Clements had a score of 87.5 at the Katy Invitstional (where scores tend to be higher than those at a BOA competition) while Seven Lakes scored a 88.6 for their exhibition performance. SL did extremely well at BOA Conroe and came out on top of all of the bands listed above that attended, but they are not in this area. Brazoswood has been impressing me this season, but with scores so close there are no guarantees. This area will most likely have very close scores and it’s hard for me to predict the exact order of these bands in finals. If anyone has any information on Dickinson and Travis or any other potential state qualifiers in this area please share

Only 24 bands are on the list for Area E this Saturday. 4 bands for certain will be advancing. This competition should have a handful of great performances and bands in the running to do great things at State. The top contenders for the 4 spots in much opinion are...

Austin

Pearland

Dawson

Clements

Brazoswood

Dickinson

Clear Brook

Travis

I believe the most competitive bands for the 4 spots will be the first 5 bands listed above. Brazoswood and Austin just slipped above Pearland at BOA Conroe. Austin and pearland came in 1st and 2nd at Friendswood with Dawson and Clear Brook in 4th and 6th. Clements had a score of 87.5 at the Katy Invitstional (where scores tend to be higher than those at a BOA competition) while Seven Lakes scored a 88.6 for their exhibition performance. SL did extremely well at BOA Conroe and came out on top of all of the bands listed above that attended, but they are not in this area. Brazoswood has been impressing me this season, but with scores so close there are no guarantees. This area will most likely have very close scores and it’s hard for me to predict the exact order of these bands in finals. If anyone has any information on Dickinson and Travis or any other potential state qualifiers in this area please share

True, the Katy scores have tended to be inflated (evidenced by our ~97 from last year) but Clements placed above Taylor and beat 7L in music. Austin got a good rep from the judges at region yesterday I heard. Travis sounded good from the lot

There is a rumor going around that Brazoswood may be disqualified due to marching failing students. Any confirmation?

Hi, Brazoswood band member here. No, we did not get disqualified due to marching failed students. Our directors are always on top of students who have failed out and are very strict about these rules.

Hi, Brazoswood band member here. No, we did not get disqualified due to marching failed students. Our directors are always on top of students who have failed out and are very strict about these rules.

Thats good to hear.