Area I 2018

I am a bit confused by some of the statements on this forum.

1. Bridgeland High School

- several people have commented saying how they were surprised Bridgeland did not make finals. At BOA Houston, Bridgeland lost to Tompkins (14th place), Katy (18th place), and Cinco Ranch (20th place). Yet, Bridgeland was supposed to make finals, or even qualify for state over these schools?! That does not follow logic.

2. Katy High School

- people are being quite rude about this school, even going so far as to make up rumors about the judges. But if you look at the scores, Katy was the only school that every judge gave a top 5 score to. I believe if there was bias, it would show up more in results like  (9  8     8  8)   - where you can clearly see the judge who was biased. The judges did not agree on much, but they agreed that Katy was deserving of making state. If you claim bias, then you have to claim that all 5 judges were biased toward Katy, which is just not true. They had a great performance, chill out.

3. Cypress Falls

- lot of people cannot believe how Cypress Falls did not advance, considering they qualified in '14 and '16. Are they aware Cypress Falls is under different leadership? It takes time to adjust to to these things. I liked their show, but they did not have the cleanest performance. They'll be back, I know it. 

If this true the corrupt judges for Katy also conspired to put Jersey Village 2nd to give their plan cover. JV went from 9th in preliminaries to 2nd in finals. When has a band ever done this in UIL history?

(Written by a JVHS band member) Jersey Village has always been a band people have laughed at. Going into area, none of us truly believed we would advance past prelims. Our prelims performance did not reflect our refined show. Our run at rehearsal that morning was way better and it made many people upset, for this was the moment when we started to realize that this might be the last time we would perform our show. We just wanted a second shot at showing the world what we were capable of. Making it to finals was a bit of a shock. Before taking the field, our band directors gave us pep talks to ease nerves. We started to believe in ourselves and the team. The entire band worked as a complete unit and the result was magical (as you guys know). I truly do not believe that it was judge bias, but that it was the product of Jersey Village's change in attitude.

Congrats to all the bands who participated at area and good luck at state to all those who advanced!!

Unfortunately it is true, both judges were fired from the UIL judging board.  From the looks of it, it was Judge 3 & 5.  If you delete these 2 judges score, results would have been:  Taylor, Cy-Fair, 7 Lakes, and a tie for JV and Katy.  Which seems to be more in line as Taylor was 1st and Prelims.  It's just sad... these kids work so hard.  The rightful 1st place winners should have been announced... so they could enjoy the limelight.

post-27573-0-69512400-1540984724_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately it is true, both judges were fired from the UIL judging board. From the looks of it, it was Judge 3 & 5. If you delete these 2 judges score, results would have been: Taylor, Cy-Fair, 7 Lakes, and a tie for JV and Katy. Which seems to be more in line as Taylor was 1st and Prelims. It's just sad... these kids work so hard. The rightful 1st place winners should have been announced... so they could enjoy the limelight.

The same 5 bands would have advanced to state regardless? Good. I’m the long term, at least in my opinion, that’s what really matters.

3. Cypress Falls

- lot of people cannot believe how Cypress Falls did not advance, considering they qualified in '14 and '16. Are they aware Cypress Falls is under different leadership? It takes time to adjust to to these things. I liked their show, but they did not have the cleanest performance. They'll be back, I know it. 

Yes, Cypress Falls is under different leadership. But are you within the program? I'd be careful with this knowledge, because there are factors that likely (read: almost definitely) affected the band far more than the leadership change that happened last season, especially considering that the head director of the marching band is not the one that changed.

Unfortunately it is true, both judges were fired from the UIL judging board. From the looks of it, it was Judge 3 & 5. If you delete these 2 judges score, results would have been: Taylor, Cy-Fair, 7 Lakes, and a tie for JV and Katy. If this is really true I wonder how much other cheating like marching kids who were failing that was going on? Katy how about it? Whichs to be more in line as Taylor was 1st and Prelims. It's just sad... these kids work so hard. The rightful 1st place winners should have been announced... so they could enjoy the limelight.

Unfortunately it is true, both judges were fired from the UIL judging board.  From the looks of it, it was Judge 3 & 5.  If you delete these 2 judges score, results would have been:  Taylor, Cy-Fair, 7 Lakes, and a tie for JV and Katy.  Which seems to be more in line as Taylor was 1st and Prelims.  It's just sad... these kids work so hard.  The rightful 1st place winners should have been announced... so they could enjoy the limelight.

Sources for this? Anything official been released? Names of the fired?

Paul