6A UIL Area 2018

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know what happened to Rowlett? They were a solid state qualifier for easily a decade and then fell to 17th at area in 16. Director change?

Their director moved to Lake Highlands in 2015, but he either left or retired after a year or two because he's not there anymore. Sad what happened to them honestly, such a good program.

Ah so I DIDNT just dream that Richland moved up to 6A!

No you didn't.  With them being in, 5-6 of the following get to go to state

Coppell

Keller

Bell

Duncanville

Haltom

Richland

Prosper

Waxahachie

Timber Creek

Keller Central

Plano East

Martin

Wow.

No you didn't. With them being in, 5-6 of the following get to go to state

Coppell

Keller

Bell

Duncanville

Haltom

Richland

Prosper

Waxahachie

Timber Creek

Keller Central

Plano East

Martin

Wow.

Oh man, that hurts! How do you predict top 5 in that region/area?! That’ll be one to watch for sure. Especially if Duncanville rises to the level of their new drill designer and music arrangement team, and if Haltom, Prosper and Richland continue on their current upward trajectory. Dare I say that 6A state may actually be more exciting than BOA SA this fall!

Oh man, that hurts! How do you predict top 5 in that region/area?! That’ll be one to watch for sure. Especially if Duncanville rises to the level of their new drill designer and music arrangement team, and if Haltom, Prosper and Richland continue on their current upward trajectory. Dare I say that 6A state may actually be more exciting than BOA SA this fall!

It depends on the number, of course, but it depends on how many advance....if 6 I would place Richland and/or Duncanville in the "near lock".  And placement of Haltom as a "near lock" is contingent on them building on last season...I suspect they will. 

Waxahachie is a "near lock" to me...they were great in 5A State last year beat Richland by 3 points in the finals (30-27) but Richland's finals run was not as solid as prelims...but Prosper was right on the heels of Richland.  Part of the problem with basing any prediction for those bands moving up on 5A State last year is finals were affected by rain....the bands had to get out of their routines, didn't get as much warm-up time, etc.  Even with that the difference between 3rd thru 8th place was only 5 points.  Who knows what would have happened if the weather was decent....would Prosper have beaten Richland....would Richland have beaten Waxahachie?  I have no idea....

If only 5 advance.....holy cats.....those finals will be insane to watch. 

"They're locks until they aren't"

Keller

Bell

"Near locks"

Waxahachie

Haltom

"Emerging from the bloodbath for the 5th spot"

Richland/Duncanville/Prosper

or

Duncanville/Richland/Prosper

(I can't choose!!!)

Those predictions look great. I agree with just about everything, except I would have Coppell in the fighting for 5 th spot as well, perhaps over Prosper. I think Prosper needs one more year to develop and particularly to manage the insane amount of growth they had over the last few years before the reach the consistent level that they showed glimpses of being capable of last year.

What hurts the most is that every one of these hotly contested areas will determine their state contenders on the same day. And there's no Flo Marching to broadcast any of it. While I'm sweating it out watching Leander ISD and it's competitors battle it out for a spot at state, there will be so many other areas I'd also like to be watching. What we need is a big ole sports bar with TV screens all around, and something like Flo Marching broadcasting the whole thing that day. :D

I don’t think LISD has much battling to do in their area, to be fair. You can spend that energy on B, D and maybe E or F

Well there ain't much chance of my NOT being there to support Leander, regardless.  But if someone wants to build that sports bar (or perhaps we could call it a band bar?), and if one of the streaming services wants to sign on for showing all of the UIL area competitions that day, well COUNT ME IN!

What hurts the most is that every one of these hotly contested areas will determine their state contenders on the same day. And there's no Flo Marching to broadcast any of it. While I'm sweating it out watching Leander ISD and it's competitors battle it out for a spot at state, there will be so many other areas I'd also like to be watching. What we need is a big ole sports bar with TV screens all around, and something like Flo Marching broadcasting the whole thing that day. :D

Yeah, UIL and USBands have their own livestream service, but no way am I going to pay for those two and FloMarching, anyways Flo covers the most.

It depends on the number, of course, but it depends on how many advance....if 6 I would place Richland and/or Duncanville in the "near lock". And placement of Haltom as a "near lock" is contingent on them building on last season...I suspect they will.

Waxahachie is a "near lock" to me...they were great in 5A State last year beat Richland by 3 points in the finals (30-27) but Richland's finals run was not as solid as prelims...but Prosper was right on the heels of Richland. Part of the problem with basing any prediction for those bands moving up on 5A State last year is finals were affected by rain....the bands had to get out of their routines, didn't get as much warm-up time, etc. Even with that the difference between 3rd thru 8th place was only 5 points. Who knows what would have happened if the weather was decent....would Prosper have beaten Richland....would Richland have beaten Waxahachie? I have no idea....

Keller

Bell

"Near locks"

Waxahachie

Haltom

or

(I can't choose!!!)

I’d move Haltom up to “locks until they aren’t” and move Coppell up to near locks in my opinion

It depends on the number, of course, but it depends on how many advance....if 6 I would place Richland and/or Duncanville in the "near lock". And placement of Haltom as a "near lock" is contingent on them building on last season...I suspect they will.

Waxahachie is a "near lock" to me...they were great in 5A State last year beat Richland by 3 points in the finals (30-27) but Richland's finals run was not as solid as prelims...but Prosper was right on the heels of Richland. Part of the problem with basing any prediction for those bands moving up on 5A State last year is finals were affected by rain....the bands had to get out of their routines, didn't get as much warm-up time, etc. Even with that the difference between 3rd thru 8th place was only 5 points. Who knows what would have happened if the weather was decent....would Prosper have beaten Richland....would Richland have beaten Waxahachie? I have no idea....

Keller

Bell

"Near locks"

Waxahachie

Haltom

or

(I can't choose!!!)

I have faith in Richland this year. Their head director is leaving which could be good for them. I’ve heard a lot of changes they’re making. Hopefully they can make state back to back.

I’d move Haltom up to “locks until they aren’t” and move Coppell up to near locks in my opinion

If you're going to do that, you may as well move Richland there, too.  For the last 2 years, Haltom and Richland have been very close competitively....completely different styles (Haltom-music over marching; Richland-marching over music) but very close in contest finishes.

As I've said in other posts, Haltom is poised to make that next step from really good to great...they've been building for years now and last year was a massive step.  If they build again, yes, you can put them in the "lock" category but their "greatness" needs to be sustained for a couple of years before they're a "lock", in my opinion...and, yes, I think they will take that next step this year. 

This is a big year for Richland...they've tasted a large amount of success as a 5A band over the last couple of years and have now, unexpectedly, been thrown back in to 6A.  They're one of the smallest 6A schools/bands in the state and have to now go compete against Marcus, Hebron, etc. Now...that's definitely not an excuse (for lack of a better word).  They've been 6A before and had a tremendous amount of success....and the directors will have them ready for this challenge. 

I think it’s also worth noting for area b that the Mansfield schools (Mansfield, summit and lake ridge) are in there as well and have a shot at shaking up finals, maybe even be some dark horse contenders for advancement.

Of course!  All of this is speculation...before Hebron was "Hebron!!!", they were a band on the rise.  And then...BOOM!   Band directors move around...bands have big senior classes that graduate....bands change show writers.

As the old saying goes, "that's why they play the games".  Area B is going to be well worth the price of admission.

Of course!  All of this is speculation...before Hebron was "Hebron!!!", they were a band on the rise.  And then...BOOM!   Band directors move around...bands have big senior classes that graduate....bands change show writers.

As the old saying goes, "that's why they play the games".  Area B is going to be well worth the price of admission.

Exactly, except for a few  most likely locks like LD Bell and Keller,   I think this Area has is pretty wide open as we haven't even seen anything yet.    I've heard good things about Lake Ridge and Summit as well. 

I've also heard rumors that Plano Senior is also starting to make a push to be more competitive.   I don't think they will match

Plano East yet, but it will be interesting to see if they show any improvement in their sound and show design in the fall.   

PESH was also affected the most a few years ago by our realignment of schools but I think they might be finally starting to 

come back, so I wouldn't count them out either.     I don't have kids at either school, so I have no inside info, just what I have been seeing.  My youngest son will attend Plano Senior after next year (Fall 2019) and we feed into that school now.  Might have to change my user name to PSHSMom then. 

Of course! All of this is speculation...before Hebron was "Hebron!!!", they were a band on the rise. And then...BOOM! Band directors move around...bands have big senior classes that graduate....bands change show writers.

As the old saying goes, "that's why they play the games". Area B is going to be well worth the price of admission.

This is so true . Which is why I believe haltom has something really special coming for them . Last year was the first year with a whole new group of directors . They also know had the drill writers for broken arrow . The same music writers as last year . As well as just incredible faculty and lesson teacher which is making them so much better . I remember when Hebron wasn’t really that big and then they got insanely good . Because of seniors and new directors . Also haltom is said to only be losing like 30 seniors in gaining double the numbers of freshman meaning they will be big and have more experience which makes it even more excited .

But I agree if your weekend is open that week if area for a b . I wouldn’t miss it . Going to be spectacular

Random sidebar but Hebron’s had the same head band director since like 2004 I think? Their relatively sudden ascension to the top of the Texas scene can better be attributed to a change in focus rather than a leadership change. They had a much more lax approach to marching season back in the day (not that they didn’t take it seriously or weren’t competitive) but around 2008 there was a noticeable shift that gradually led to them cementing powerhouse status by 2013.

But yeah, it still stands that any program can pop off in any given year- plenty of programs (a lot in area b ) have similarly shifted their identities lately, notably Keller, Coppell, and Haltom. And there’s indication already that Duncanville seems to be on a similar path and I wouldn’t be surprised if even more do the same. The scene all over Texas is crazy right now and this contest is a testament to that. Would love to see it live

This is so true . Which is why I believe haltom has something really special coming for them . Last year was the first year with a whole new group of directors . They also know had the drill writers for broken arrow . The same music writers as last year . As well as just incredible faculty and lesson teacher which is making them so much better . I remember when Hebron wasn’t really that big and then they got insanely good . Because of seniors and new directors . Also haltom is said to only be losing like 30 seniors in gaining double the numbers of freshman meaning they will be big and have more experience which makes it even more excited .

But I agree if your weekend is open that week if area for a b . I wouldn’t miss it . Going to be spectacular

Also haltom May have a little advantage if they perform at the faac which I believe area was held there last year and they like it . So it’ll either be there or Pennington field right ? Anyway maybe if they performed there they would kill it lol . Same for richland. But then again we don’t know much about anyone’s show yet and we won’t really know until the first contests

I also look forward to Richland's season, they have turned it around the last three seasons and I'm looking forward to the new directors vision to keep the needle moving up. It would be great to go back to back in 5A then 6A

It’s gonna be a tough area and I can’t wait for this contest it’s gonna be great