Wonderful performance from Flanagan. I think this is the one to beat, at least at today's contest. Those U-shaped props they move around the floor create such interesting forms. The design seems like it's constantly being re-sculpted, so it never loses our attention. And they just perform the heck out of it.

With excellent shows from Stoneman Douglas, West Broward, Tarpon Springs, and Flanagan, it sure does seem like nearly half of the top 10 at the World Championships will come from Florida. We'll see.

As far as IW goes, I wasn't thrilled with either Pride of Cincinnati or Onyx. Pride of Cincinnati had a rough run with a lot of really obvious drops and other performance lapses. But even beyond that, the show was a bit too bloodless for my tastes. That's probably the point, but it doesn't move me. What I really wanted was a moment that really gripped me. The movement near the beginning probably came closest to that, but it's a bit of a slow-burn. Perhaps the show will grow on me. The 91.70 they received in prelims is *super* generous. I probably would have scored it an 87 or an 88, but I'm fairly stingy.

Onyx's show is just more of the same. Last year was so much fun, but they didn't place as well as they usually do. So of course they go back to their old style this year. At this point, I'm not convinced the staff at Onyx knows how to write a winning show that isn't incredibly formulaic. I mean, c'mon guys, we've seen just about all of this before. This style of organized chaos filtered through an unabashedly pretentious lens reached its peak with Moving Still in 2014 -- one of my all-time favorites, by the way. I think the performers deserve something fresh. They're too talented. But as long as WGI keeps rewarding the same-old, it won't change.

Yesterday was a wonderful day for winterguard. My standouts (scholastic world) of the day were Avon, Stoneman Douglas, Tarpon, Flanagan, and Center Grove. West Broward was good, their show just didn't really hold my attention as well as the others. Carmel was... interesting. The show is alright in the first half, but when the guy on the soundtrack starts moaning it gets awkward. Incredibly clean, and love the visual aesthetic, the soundtrack is just a little out there.

Yesterday was a wonderful day for winterguard. My standouts (scholastic world) of the day were Avon, Stoneman Douglas, Tarpon, Flanagan, and Center Grove. West Broward was good, their show just didn't really hold my attention as well as the others. Carmel was... interesting. The show is alright in the first half, but when the guy on the soundtrack starts moaning it gets awkward. Incredibly clean, and love the visual aesthetic, the soundtrack is just a little out there.

I guess if don't understand the vocals in Carmel's show, it would be weird to you. It makes perfect sense to me and is both humorous and entertaining. I liked it! Out there isn't wrong, it's just different.

As far as IW goes, I wasn't thrilled with either Pride of Cincinnati or Onyx. Pride of Cincinnati had a rough run with a lot of really obvious drops and other performance lapses. But even beyond that, the show was a bit too bloodless for my tastes. That's probably the point, but it doesn't move me. What I really wanted was a moment that really gripped me. The movement near the beginning probably came closest to that, but it's a bit of a slow-burn. Perhaps the show will grow on me. The 91.70 they received in prelims is *super* generous. I probably would have scored it an 87 or an 88, but I'm fairly stingy.

Onyx's show is just more of the same. Last year was so much fun, but they didn't place as well as they usually do. So of course they go back to their old style this year. At this point, I'm not convinced the staff at Onyx knows how to write a winning show that isn't incredibly formulaic. I mean, c'mon guys, we've seen just about all of this before. This style of organized chaos filtered through an unabashedly pretentious lens reached its peak with Moving Still in 2014 -- one of my all-time favorites, by the way. I think the performers deserve something fresh. They're too talented. But as long as WGI keeps rewarding the same-old, it won't change.

I just have to say that you have an excellent ability to verbalize and describe what you observe. You have great insights and assessments of the performances and are such a great contributor to this site (marching band as well). Thank you.

I guess I'm the lone dissenter on Onyx. I liked their show a lot. I don't think it was the best, of course, but I did like it. Maybe in part because I am old school in regard to their organized entry, performance, and exit from the performance area. It reminds me of the days many years ago when I was in high school and we were told that our marching performance started from the time we exited the bus until we got back on to leave. Everything was organized and planned and we were "on" the entire time. It was a military style band and that was a long time ago, but I do miss that discipline and dedication to task.

I guess I'm the lone dissenter on Onyx. I liked their show a lot. I don't think it was the best, of course, but I did like it. Maybe in part because I am old school in regard to their organized entry, performance, and exit from the performance area. It reminds me of the days many years ago when I was in high school and we were told that our marching performance started from the time we exited the bus until we got back on to leave. Everything was organized and planned and we were "on" the entire time. It was a military style band and that was a long time ago, but I do miss that discipline and dedication to task.

It's amusing to me that you like the old style of the military bands, yet you love Carmel's winterguard show. That makes you a very well rounded enthusiast of all types and styles of marching and guard work. I admire that.

As for myself, I used to be old school all the way until bands like Leander, Broken Arrow and CTJ showed me how incredibly beautiful and gripping this new artistic style was! But I'm still old school I guess when it comes to Carmel's marching and WGI shows because they always leave me scratching my head and wondering what the heck I just saw (or heard!)!

It's amusing to me that you like the old style of the military bands, yet you love Carmel's winterguard show. That makes you a very well rounded enthusiast of all types and styles of marching and guard work. I admire that.

As for myself, I used to be old school all the way until bands like Leander, Broken Arrow and CTJ showed me how incredibly beautiful and gripping this new artistic style was! But I'm still old school I guess when it comes to Carmel's marching and WGI shows because they always leave me scratching my head and wondering what the heck I just saw (or heard!)!

Well, I liked the military bands back then, but really think that their day has passed. The level of difficulty of the performances today with corps style bands isn't the same as it was then. Everything has evolved to what we have now and is on a different place on the evolutionary scale. I'm not saying anything against the military bands and I have loved the journey along the way. I wish I could say that I quickly embraced all the changes, but some took a while to digest. I have to remind myself how much I love something today that I didn't care for when first introduced in the past. I am just as excited about what I see today as I was in the mid '60's.

I guess if don't understand the vocals in Carmel's show, it would be weird to you. It makes perfect sense to me and is both humorous and entertaining. I liked it! Out there isn't wrong, it's just different.

Never said it was wrong, just confusing. POC cleaned it up today! Yesterday I wasn't convinced on the show either, but today sold Me! Also only .1 between Avon and Carmel now :o getting really close on the home stretch.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I need someone to explain some winterguard stuff to me if you can! Here are my questions:

1). Why are there no Dallas area colorguards in today's TCGC competition? Do they choose not to do TCGC up there?

2). Where is CTJ? I don't see them mentioned for any upcoming competitions and their show was supposed to be amazing I thought?

3). Is this WGI championship in Ohio like BOA where anybody who pays can go? Or do you have to earn a competition spot for that?

I'm just a bit confused still on how winterguard really works. And lastly, how often do schools move up a level? Do they have a choice in that?

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to tackle these questions! :D

Ok, I need someone to explain some winterguard stuff to me if you can! Here are my wuestions:

1). Why are there no Dallas area colorguards in today's TCGC competition? Do they choose not to do TCGC up there?

2). Where is CTJ? I don't see them mentioned for any upcoming competitions and their show was supposed to be amazing I thought?

3). Is this WGI championship in Ohio like BOA where anybody who pays can go? Or do you have to earn a competition spot for that?

I'm just a bit confused still on how winterguard really works. And lastly, how often do schools move up a level? Do they have a choice in that?

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to tackle these questions! :D

1) The Dallas/Fort Worth area guards usually participate in the North Texas Colorguard Association and they are having their championship today as well. They also compete in the WGI competitions.

2) CTJ usually just competes in WGI as far as I know. We saw them in several of those competitions. (Ladybird HS doing a Ladybird show this year)

3) The WGI World Championships requires attendance of at least 1 regional competition in that season if there is one within 400 miles of your guard's location.

As far as class changes, sometimes guards are promoted to the next higher class if they are performing at a level that is consistently above the other guards in that class. This is mainly in the lower classes. You can elect to move up to a higher class if you want want to.

I just have to say that you have an excellent ability to verbalize and describe what you observe. You have great insights and assessments of the performances and are such a great contributor to this site (marching band as well). Thank you.

Thank you! (although my comments are so general that I don't think I add *that* much to the conversation!) Also, as harsh as my critiques can sometimes be, my intention is never to attack the young performers. As I've said in other threads in the past, my feeling is that once you've got a dedicated group of kids, most of a group's success really comes down to how the kids are being taught and the content that they are given. So, if at times I seem unusually frustrated, it's probably because I see the potential in something and want the adults to do better.

I'm watching a bit of the TCGC championship on FloMarching right now. The angle seems pretty perfect to me. I can take in the total show, but the view is close enough that I can make out some of the details (with some zoom-ins). It seems like the shows in class A right now are getting better with each performance. I don't remember whether TCGC uses any sort of seeding format, but it sure does feel like it right now. Leander is performing last. Loved Westwood's floor design, with that oversized chair and lamp. Just watched Morton Ranch. Not sure how they've been doing this season, but they're pretty clearly the best of the handful I've seen. Much more difficult skills. They've got their entire guard on rifle towards the end, and the tosses are higher and better executed than the previous groups. Beautiful show.

I do think that CTJ often does compete at TCGC events, but maybe not every year. They competed last year at the state championship and got 3rd in World Class.

I still haven't seen Avon and Carmel. They'll get the benefit of a fresh look at the WGI Championship, assuming that neither of the shows is one of those ones that grows on you, which, based on the comments here, Carmel's might be.

Leander just gave a wonderful performance. Loved the costumes and the floor design. The rifle skills were the most advanced I saw today, and they mostly nailed the execution. (Those high tosses with one-handed catches didn't seem to faze them.) Even more importantly, they kept the energy up from beginning to end, so there was never a dull moment. I do wish that there were some sabre skills thrown into the mix, but it's not really a requirement in Scholastic A. I'm pretty sure Klein Oak won the A class last year without any.

Hendrickson continues to impress in the Open class. The design was simple -- that eerie, blown-up-looking wall with the door in it in the corner of the floor-- but it was very effective, and it gave the performers room to breathe. The Ghosts of Ellis Island, a show about those who didn't make it. At first I thought the music was by Disasterpeace -- you know, something a bit creepy from the movie It Follows -- but it was clearly something else. I wasn't a huge fan of the nearly non-stop narration, although I think it was important to communicate the theme. The flag feature at the end was to die for (pun not really intended), and it was one of my favorites of the day. Nice work!

Bowie will be in finals at WGI (where they'll place is anybody's guess, especially now that I can't find the standings on the WGI website!), but I'm not completely sold on this show. It's just such a willfully scatterbrained production, from the music design to the visual design. It seeks to capture a sort of trippy, psychedelic drug high (or so I've interpreted it that way), but in the end it's like watching somebody else on drugs or alcohol, enjoying a high that you don't really understand because you're not on the same drugs. It's like being the designated driver when you don't want to be. That's not to say I hated it, or even disliked it. It's well-performed, and it makes a lot of demands on the performers, who rise to the occasion. Still, it makes me wish for a production as inspired as the 2016 one, despite how much I appreciate Bowie's risk-taking.

I want to download that piano arrangement of Danse Macabre that TWHS performed to. I love it. This is a show with some genuinely interesting and expressive moments, like in the beginning as the girl does that balletic creep down the catwalk and the girls move out from that pod, sticking out their arms and doing that sidle movement, which creates a really interesting moment in the drill. BUT, it's clear that some of the stuff they're doing is too difficult for them, and it shows in ensemble performances lapses, where the girls aren't performing together and are behind or ahead of the beat. It also leads to moments like the very exposed one in the beginning, when the one girl tosses the rifle to the other with a clean parabola and the other one drops it. My suggestion would be to start with skills you can really clean, like higher tosses, and work your way up. Also, I would have preferred a floor design that looked a little bit more finished.

Bowie will be in finals at WGI (where they'll place is anybody's guess, especially now that I can't find the standings on the WGI website!), but I'm not completely sold on this show. It's just such a willfully scatterbrained production, from the music design to the visual design. It seeks to capture a sort of trippy, psychedelic drug high (or so I've interpreted it that way), but in the end it's like watching somebody else on drugs or alcohol, enjoying a high that you don't really understand because you're not on the same drugs. It's like being the designated driver when you don't want to be. That's not to say I hated it, or even disliked it. It's well-performed, and it makes a lot of demands on the performers, who rise to the occasion. Still, it makes me wish for a production as inspired as the 2016 one, despite how much I appreciate Bowie's risk-taking.

I want to download that piano arrangement of Danse Macabre that TWHS performed to. I love it. This is a show with some genuinely interesting and expressive moments, like in the beginning as the girl does that balletic creep down the catwalk and the girls move out from that pod, sticking out their arms and doing that sidle movement, which creates a really interesting moment in the drill. BUT, it's clear that some of the stuff they're doing is too difficult for them, and it shows in ensemble performances lapses, where the girls aren't performing together and are behind or ahead of the beat. It also leads to moments like the very exposed one in the beginning, when the one girl tosses the rifle to the other with a clean parabola and the other one drops it. My suggestion would be to start with skills you can really clean, like higher tosses, and work your way up. Also, I would have preferred a floor design that looked a little bit more finished.

Bowie's shows have been a love it or hate it situation for several years now. As hard as I have tried, I've not been able to be in the love category. I too like The Woodlands' music and think the work matches the frantic nature of the composition. As far as the performance issues, that's the SW class. You have to take those high risks to have a chance in competing. No taking the safe route there!

Thank you! (although my comments are so general that I don't think I add *that* much to the conversation!) Also, as harsh as my critiques can sometimes be, my intention is never to attack the young performers. As I've said in other threads in the past, my feeling is that once you've got a dedicated group of kids, most of a group's success really comes down to how the kids are being taught and the content that they are given. So, if at times I seem unusually frustrated, it's probably because I see the potential in something and want the adults to do better.

I'm watching a bit of the TCGC championship on FloMarching right now. The angle seems pretty perfect to me. I can take in the total show, but the view is close enough that I can make out some of the details (with some zoom-ins). It seems like the shows in class A right now are getting better with each performance. I don't remember whether TCGC uses any sort of seeding format, but it sure does feel like it right now. Leander is performing last. Loved Westwood's floor design, with that oversized chair and lamp. Just watched Morton Ranch. Not sure how they've been doing this season, but they're pretty clearly the best of the handful I've seen. Much more difficult skills. They've got their entire guard on rifle towards the end, and the tosses are higher and better executed than the previous groups. Beautiful show.

I do think that CTJ often does compete at TCGC events, but maybe not every year. They competed last year at the state championship and got 3rd in World Class.

I still haven't seen Avon and Carmel. They'll get the benefit of a fresh look at the WGI Championship, assuming that neither of the shows is one of those ones that grows on you, which, based on the comments here, Carmel's might be.

Again, thanks for your comments and insights. You are honest and credible. It's much easier to just complement what's good in each performance, but you tell it like you see it. I don't as I know too many people that have kids in current groups and try hard not to hurt anyone's feelings. At least most of the time. Also, I am glad to see that someone else is feeling the frustration of seeing kids not get the instruction needed to succeed and be their best. At the top of the list for me.

1) The Dallas/Fort Worth area guards usually participate in the North Texas Colorguard Association and they are having their championship today as well. They also compete in the WGI competitions.

2) CTJ usually just competes in WGI as far as I know. We saw them in several of those competitions. (Ladybird HS doing a Ladybird show this year)

3) The WGI World Championships requires attendance of at least 1 regional competition in that season if there is one within 400 miles of your guard's location.

As far as class changes, sometimes guards are promoted to the next higher class if they are performing at a level that is consistently above the other guards in that class. This is mainly in the lower classes. You can elect to move up to a higher class if you want want to.

Thank you!

I sure am proud of the Leander Guard for becoming TCGC Scholastic National A Class State Champions yesterday in College Station.  They were phenomenal this year...truly.  I went to the parent send off performance Friday evening and the stands were absolutely packed with family members, students and fans such as myself.  When Will Calloway walked out onto the gym floor to introduce the guard, the place erupted into huge applause.  Very well deserved applause, I must say.  He has done an amazing job with both the JV and Varsity squads this year.  And the parent performance was nearly flawless and completely stunning.  Everyone stood for an ovation when it was over, and it was pretty moving.  

I can't wait to see how they do at WGI in Ohio later this week.   :wub:

#ForeverAFan

Again, thanks for your comments and insights. You are honest and credible. It's much easier to just complement what's good in each performance, but you tell it like you see it. I don't as I know too many people that have kids in current groups and try hard not to hurt anyone's feelings. At least most of the time. Also, I am glad to see that someone else is feeling the frustration of seeing kids not get the instruction needed to succeed and be their best. At the top of the list for me.

Yeah Rubisco, I look forward to the critiques you give our band next year. I love the honesty. I just wish all of the band parents were like that.

I sure am proud of the Leander Guard for becoming TCGC Scholastic National A Class State Champions yesterday in College Station.  They were phenomenal this year...truly.  I went to the parent send off performance Friday evening and the stands were absolutely packed with family members, students and fans such as myself.  When Will Calloway walked out onto the gym floor to introduce the guard, the place erupted into huge applause.  Very well deserved applause, I must say.  He has done an amazing job with both the JV and Varsity squads this year.  And the parent performance was nearly flawless and completely stunning.  Everyone stood for an ovation when it was over, and it was pretty moving.  

I can't wait to see how they do at WGI in Ohio later this week.   :wub:

#ForeverAFan

Yes, Will has done an excellent job for many years now. Looking forward to seeing them tonight at the prelims.

I did notice - and was shocked - with Round Rock's placing at the TCGC State Championships. They have been typically in the top 3 for quite a while with their JV and varsity. Last year the JV was 3rd with an 89 and their varsity was 2nd with an 82. This year they are down to one guard and they were 8th of 9 with a 75. I feel so bad for those kids.