The Danpodcast - San Antonio Super Regional Nerd-In

A band that always makes finals will not be making finals at this contest.  They will have made finals at every contest before for the past several years (including Nats), and will make it at any and every contest after for this season....but not this contest.  They will have the performance of their lives....everything will work and lock in. They will walk off that field feeling like they absolutely sold it! (and they did) ...yet they still won't make the cut. It's crazy. Year after year this contest keeps increasing in notoriety....Texas keeps building all these new high schools that field these ginormous bands and they all want to test their mettle at the Roman Coliseum of marching band. But there's still a 60(ish)-band limit...So the quality keeps increasing and the competition level keeps increasing....The bands keep pushing each other. The top 12 bands from this contest will be a higher quality group of bands this year than the top 12 bands in the state finals at UIL 6A last year.  Which you would think would be impossible....but it's more or less the same 12 faces, plus you've got the best 5As from Leander ISD knocking a couple of those 6A heads out of the mix....and then there's Avon increasing the quality even further.

That band that ends up 15th...and they'll be a big name (GN Finalist material)....will feel like the judges had it out for them.  I hope their directors will say the right things to cushion that blow....or those kids will see this or listen to the podcast.  To help them realize that there are just way too many finalist-tier groups and not enough spots for everybody at this particular competition.

A band that always makes finals will not be making finals at this contest. They will have made finals at every contest before for the past several years (including Nats), and will make it at any and every contest after for this season....but not this contest. They will have the performance of their lives....everything will work and lock in. They will walk off that field feeling like they absolutely sold it! (and they did) ...yet they still won't make the cut. It's crazy. Year after year this contest keeps increasing in notoriety....Texas keeps building all these new high schools that field these ginormous bands and they all want to test their mettle at the Roman Coliseum of marching band. But there's still a 60(ish)-band limit...So the quality keeps increasing and the competition level keeps increasing....The bands keep pushing each other. The top 12 bands from this contest will be a higher quality group of bands this year than the top 12 bands in the state finals at UIL 6A last year. Which you would think would be impossible....but it's more or less the same 12 faces, plus you've got the best 5As from Leander ISD knocking a couple of those 6A heads out of the mix....and then there's Avon increasing the quality even further.

That band that ends up 15th...and they'll be a big name (GN Finalist material)....will feel like the judges had it out for them. I hope their directors will say the right things to cushion that blow....or those kids will see this or listen to the podcast. To help them realize that there are just way too many finalist-tier groups and not enough spots for everybody at this particular competition.

Brilliantly well said!

Hey Daniel, as  you are racing down to San Antonio, let me know if there are any areas under construction on 35 that we should be aware of so maybe we can find an alternative route!   I hate the drive from North Dallas to San Antonio!  

LeanderMom - I know how to find you on Saturday, just look for the one with the index cards around her neck, LOL! 

Hey Daniel, as you are racing down to San Antonio, let me know if there are any areas under construction on 35 that we should be aware of so maybe we can find an alternative route! I hate the drive from North Dallas to San Antonio!

LeanderMom - I know how to find you on Saturday, just look for the one with the index cards around her neck, LOL!

Hahahaha! Right?!

BTW, there is muchos construction in Temple!!!!

Hey Daniel, as  you are racing down to San Antonio, let me know if there are any areas under construction on 35 that we should be aware of so maybe we can find an alternative route!   I hate the drive from North Dallas to San Antonio!  

Daniel Valdez here with your I-35 Traffic Update:

I left at 5:00 AM this morning so there wasn't much traffic!  Haha!!!  Temple always has traffic especially near the Buc-ee's exit.  I took the toll road around Austin so I avoided rush-hour traffic stuff.  Everything else was smooth sailing but like I said, I left early this morning like a nerd :)

A band that always makes finals will not be making finals at this contest.  They will have made finals at every contest before for the past several years (including Nats), and will make it at any and every contest after for this season....but not this contest.  They will have the performance of their lives....everything will work and lock in. They will walk off that field feeling like they absolutely sold it! (and they did) ...yet they still won't make the cut. It's crazy. Year after year this contest keeps increasing in notoriety....Texas keeps building all these new high schools that field these ginormous bands and they all want to test their mettle at the Roman Coliseum of marching band. But there's still a 60(ish)-band limit...So the quality keeps increasing and the competition level keeps increasing....The bands keep pushing each other. The top 12 bands from this contest will be a higher quality group of bands this year than the top 12 bands in the state finals at UIL 6A last year.  Which you would think would be impossible....but it's more or less the same 12 faces, plus you've got the best 5As from Leander ISD knocking a couple of those 6A heads out of the mix....and then there's Avon increasing the quality even further.

That band that ends up 15th...and they'll be a big name (GN Finalist material)....will feel like the judges had it out for them.  I hope their directors will say the right things to cushion that blow....or those kids will see this or listen to the podcast.  To help them realize that there are just way too many finalist-tier groups and not enough spots for everybody at this particular competition.

Absolutely this in every single way.

The 15th place band here would have a legitimate shot at making BOA Grand National Finals (and likely has recently) this year if they are/were going.

This year's BOA SA is insane on every single level. 16 of the top-30 bands as ranked by HornRank are going to be at this competition; 17 of the top-40. And just picking the 14 finalists only gets you to the top-23. When you look at who is going to BOA GN, in order to fill out the 12 finalists, you have to go to the top-24 and to get to 14 you have to go all the way down to the top-29.