Non-Texas Marching Bands are ruined for me

LostChoirGuy

Anyone else move out of Texas and no longer enjoy marching competitions because the shows aren't up to Texas standards?

I now live in Utah and one of my roommates is the president of my university's marching band. They are hosting a high school marching band contest today (yes- on a Tuesday...? Dont ask why, because I dont know). I couldnt get myself to go to the contest even though I love watching marching band contests because I just knew I'd be disappointed. The only decent band going is American Fork, who made semis at GNats a few years ago, but they are in a league way above everyone else and even they would only be average at a Texas competition.

Those of you in Texas, take advantage of what you've got! Maybe I'm being prideful, but band really is just so much better in Texas. I suppose its good in parts of the south and in the Midwest, too...

Anyone else move out of Texas and no longer enjoy marching competitions because the shows aren't up to Texas standards?

I now live in Utah and one of my roommates is the president of my university's marching band. They are hosting a high school marching band contest today (yes- on a Tuesday...? Dont ask why, because I dont know). I couldnt get myself to go to the contest even though I love watching marching band contests because I just knew I'd be disappointed. The only decent band going is American Fork, who made semis at GNats a few years ago, but they are in a league way above everyone else and even they would only be average at a Texas competition.

Those of you in Texas, take advantage of what you've got! Maybe I'm being prideful, but band really is just so much better in Texas. I suppose its good in parts of the south and in the Midwest, too...

If I may ask, why did you move to such an empty place? It's as if you moved to the middle of Kansas lol jk.

As LeanderMomma said, please move back home!!!

Haha I go to school here. Its not that empty- there are about 2 million people within an hour of here. Nothing like back home in Keller, but still not barren. Just unfortunately marching band isn't as appreciated here.

In response to moving back to Texas, I'm not sure when, if ever, that would be. My parents are the only ones left there and my dad retires this December. They want to move to be closer to grandchildren. Even though I graduate with my Bachelors in December, ive still got at least 7 years of school ahead of me and its not likely to be in Texas. I'm hoping to come home for Christmas, though.

I went to university in an average at best band state - USBands is king there - and you better believe I was so happy to come back to Texas after graduation where I can see great bands every weekend.

And my university had a scatter band and everyone asked if I liked them - of course *not*!

My Leander kiddo chose not to do band at Texas State because she knew that it would be a bit of a let down after high school band.  I think she's regretting it a bit now as many of her Leander cohorts are in the TXST band, but she is enjoying coming to the BOA competitions with me.   :)

I never did marching band, myself. I only enjoyed watching it all growing up. I took the heathen path and joined choir instead *gasp*. Hence my username.

heh, well I did both!  I'm a singer and a flautist.  I loved marching band, concert band, and singing in the choir.  Now I work with small children and so I still pretty much get to do all of those things.   :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy watching bands from non-Texas states, but I agree that a lot of them are a LOT different from here.

I'm more of a winterguard guy myself, so I tend to focus on the colorguard side of marching band and well... there's a lot of good guards out there.

As an aside, relating to an earlier convo up there about college marching bands, I'm quite glad I went to A&M Commerce and it was a crazy culture shock because my HS band was okay at best and Commerce was.. a lot different!

I'd say it also really depends on the area you live in. After all, their are still tons of Texas bands that are, well, not good. I've always tried to keep myself around areas that I know that I will be able to at least be able to make it to a few quality shows though (typically BOA). And I'd say you can't judge all non-Texas groups on just one state too. After all, you've got plenty from Indiana, California, and even Florida among others that have some really great groups. The styles may be different, but there are plenty of quality bands out there still. They may just not be as highly concentrated in the areas you're at since most of the TX ones are by the BIG metroplexes.