Saw this after I responded. The same thing (changing movements based on judge comments) happens to us. 

Interesting point about Vandegrift. I wonder if the directors are aware of a few of the judges being the same? 

I can't imagine they aren't.  With the competitive nature of this activity I'm sure that all of the directors at the top of their games are tailoring specifically for judges that will score them later in seasons.  I know that BOA releases judge information shortly before competitions (I imagine for this exact reason), not sure how TMC operates though.

Very interesting.... 

I predicted that if Vandy did not take two captions Reagan would come out on top. Vandy is amazing musically but if they want to be a major threat for gold at San Antonio they must take GE, the fact that they tied for music shows Reagan still has some fight in them. this year is so crazy I Love it !!!! :)

Not as surprising as New Braunfels not in finals at all.

I agree that it was a surprise that New Braunfels didn't make finals.

I also wanted to add that I am floored by Reagan's show this year. Their music, their guard, the lack of props--it's stripped down to the music and movement and the effect is raw and fresh. There are no props on the field or distractions/sleight of hand going on--the kids are the GE and they're bringing it. It's really great to see.

And I think Cedar Ridge is a dark horse this year. I really think their show is great. I fully expect to see them at BOASA finals this year.

I think New Braunfels had a director change this year.

Yeah. Head director Kenneth Vise, percussion director James Bachrach, and guard director Geoff Sperling all left for various reasons. That's not it though. We've got good people, and the head director now is David Eckert, who's been with us for almost a decade. He knows what he's doing, is loved by the students, and is just a great guy overall.

We were all pretty shocked at the results. We beat Stevens by 1.5 last week with about 5 bad tears, and lost to them by 3 this week after fixing those, and having an overall better run. (I don't mean to hit JP Stevens, they're a great band. They're just our only reference - they're the only ones we've competed with twice this season.) I figure there had to be a judging fluke at either or both. Which one is more accurate, I'll leave to y'all to determine. The videos are out there, and my bias should be pretty obvious.

Yeah. Head director Kenneth Vise, percussion director James Bachrach, and guard director Geoff Sperling all left for various reasons. That's not it though. We've got good people, and the head director now is David Eckert, who's been with us for almost a decade. He knows what he's doing, is loved by the students, and is just a great guy overall.

We were all pretty shocked at the results. We beat Stevens by 1.5 last week with about 5 bad tears, and lost to them by 3 this week after fixing those, and having an overall better run. (I don't mean to hit JP Stevens, they're a great band. They're just our only reference - they're the only ones we've competed with twice this season.) I figure there had to be a judging fluke at either or both. Which one is more accurate, I'll leave to y'all to determine. The videos are out there, and my bias should be pretty obvious.

Tears don't hurt as much as you might think. The symptoms behind what causes those tears will affect your score FAR more than the tears themselves; lack of full ensemble unity in listening back and too soft of an internal pulse (or lacking one entirely)....often further exacerbated by poor staging from the designers.

Judge flukes certainly do happen....there are also judges out there who really have no clue what they're doing and only got into their position by knowing the right people and winning contests with a band someone else built for them. This is more common in smaller contests.  But....for the most part, peoples' hate towards the judges are mostly unfounded (X band won because they had this prop or that much money).  The narrative often resembles this, but the logic deep down is more often "We worked this hard, put in this many hours, spent this much money and we still weren't successful....something must've occurred underneath the table to thwart us, otherwise we should've achieved success." 

I wish people would be more willing to give their rivals their due credit (as you have been willing to do).  Hard work is measured in the quality of hours, not quantity.

I agree that it was a surprise that New Braunfels didn't make finals.

I also wanted to add that I am floored by Reagan's show this year. Their music, their guard, the lack of props--it's stripped down to the music and movement and the effect is raw and fresh. There are no props on the field or distractions/sleight of hand going on--the kids are the GE and they're bringing it. It's really great to see.

And I think Cedar Ridge is a dark horse this year. I really think their show is great. I fully expect to see them at BOASA finals this year.

It's crazy that we have to consider a band like Cedar Ridge as a "dark horse" this year. They're fantastic (and so is everyone else)!

1. Reagan - 88.63

2. Vandegrift - 88.23

3. Hendrickson - 85.85

4. Georgetown - 82.80

5. Hays - 81.80

6. Pflugerville - 80.43

7. John Paul Stevens - 78.13

8. Lake Travis - 76.63

9. Canyon - 75.98

10. Belton - 74.83

Music - Reagan&Vandegrift (tie)

GE - Reagan

Visual - Reagan

Percussion - Vandegrift

Aux - Reagan

Is anyone else excited to see Henny so close to Vandy and Reagan? Hopefully this is foreshadowing something for SA :)

It's crazy that we have to consider a band like Cedar Ridge as a "dark horse" this year. They're fantastic (and so is everyone else)!

Well, true, but I was mostly referring to the fact that they aren't making a lot of prediction lists. I'm guessing it's because of past history and a lot of people probably haven't seen their show yet. So since they're kind of flying under the radar I thought I'd just do my part to put it out there that they are one to watch for!

Well, true, but I was mostly referring to the fact that they aren't making a lot of prediction lists. I'm guessing it's because of past history and a lot of people probably haven't seen their show yet. So since they're kind of flying under the radar I thought I'd just do my part to put it out there that they are one to watch for!

It's unfortunate that we keep being placed in finals "bubbles". I believe that we've proven ourselves enough to be a firm finalist on prediction lists. Oh well. I guess others disagree.

It's unfortunate that we keep being placed in finals "bubbles". I believe that we've proven ourselves enough to be a firm finalist on prediction lists. Oh well. I guess others disagree.

Don't worry for a second about prediction lists on any site. No one knows what's going to happen until the moment when results are announced. And nobody's opinions matter except for the judges. Y'all have an awesome show this year! Take pride in that and keep working forward over the next few weeks!

How have you proven that? Because you placed 6th at Austin? Texas is a crazy state and almost nothing is guaranteed.

How have you proven that? Because you placed 6th at Austin? Texas is a crazy state and almost nothing is guaranteed.

I have a very obvious bias so forgive me. I personally thought that sixth at Austin was a pretty good marker that we'll have a good season.

You are right though, it's very cocky to say that we deserve a spot in people's finals lists. Glad you said that. It really took me down a few pegs after getting too excited haha.

I have a very obvious bias so forgive me. I personally thought that sixth at Austin was a pretty good marker that we'll have a good season.

You are right though, it's very cocky to say that we deserve a spot in people's finals lists. Glad you said that. It really took me down a few pegs after getting too excited haha.

Not trying to bring you down. If anything the competition should inspire you to do your best. You guys are absolutely capable of being in finals; practice hard and prove it on the field!

It’s not that Cedar Ridge isn’t amazing. It’s just that the competition is so deep this year that Cedar Ridge in might mean that Round Rock, Hendrickson, Bell, Bowie, Churchill, Cedar Park or Keller could be out. You can’t really fault someone for being hesitant to make that decision yet, because it’s hard to see any of those 8 out of finals, but realistically, at least three will be, barring a tie.