Every year I hear/read discussion regarding props. They're expensive, they're pricing out bands that might otherwise be competitive, do you like them, do you not like them, can a band win GE without them, etc. etc. etc.  Keeping those discussions of the past few years in mind, that's why I am really hoping to see Reagan in the top 5 or even the top 3. I would love to see a band prove that you can still win it all in San Antonio without props--just straight up music, drill, and guard. That's why I love Reagan's show this year as I mentioned in another thread--it's stripped down and yet innovative and fresh and raw. The kids are their GE and I'm loving it.  But GE and what it means to a judge has always been sort of a mystery so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I agree. I didn't even notice there wasn't props until my friend bumped me and pointed it out. I was just so enchanted by the guard and music.

Just some food for thought, props don't always equal more GE. It all depends on how you use them. Speaking from personal experience Leander actually lost visual GE points in our 2013 show because the judge felt that our props constricted the drill writing and didn't allow us to have challenging/effective drill. He was correct though. 

Totally. Thank you for bringing this up. A lot of people tend to get caught up in the amount/size of props.

Both the extreme usage of props and the complete lack of props lead to effect. Positive effect if used correctly and negative effect is used poorly.

I'm not the biggest fan of Reagan's musical program this year - but the visual GE of having the whole field as a stage for the guard is nothing to sneeze at. I find it interesting when people say that "the kids are the GE" for Reagan this year because their sister school CTJ is using a lot of props this year but I'd say the same thing for them - energy levels from that program really bring a lot of GE imo. CTJ's props make their show very immersive which fits the theme of their show well, while Reagan's lack of props but huge guard leads to similar themed immersion. I don't think props are (or have ever been) a direct source of effect points, just a way to enhance the effect that's being put out by the performers, which both NEISD schools are doing incredibly well this year.

On the subject of CTJ... Does anyone have a link to their Midland or latest performance?

Just want to give a belated shout out to Lewisville for making finals. It was only their second BOA contest since 2008. The last time they made finals was 2004 in Arlington which was then cancelled due to weather. While they perform in a school district with three very large shadows looming over them I hope it’s a sign of good things to come.