When I saw PESH last week at UIL I wasn't sure about their show. When I saw it again today my mouth dropped. Last night was the first time they ran the whole show with the heart prop. So proud of the PESH band for going for it and making it to state. They moved up 4 spots from prelims to finals!

Congrats to all the bands. Love the Texas bands!

Amazing display tonight! Truly all of the finalists bands tonight showed serious state-level quality! Shame that more couldn't advance.

On another note, here's a fun (or not so fun) fact; EVERY SINGLE area competition that the Timber Creek Band has ever attended has resulted in them being first-runner up to attend the State Marching Band Contest:

2011: 5th place (advance 4)

2012: 5th Place (advance 4)

2014: 2nd Place (advance 1)

2016: 6th place (advance 5)

As an alumni it breaks my heart to see this band having gone through so much, but I can't help but smile to see the way they performed tonight and the undeniable progress they have achieved. KOKO Falcon Band!!

The results where quite surprising to those of us in the stands. TCHS seemed to be better than PESH. Unless Plano East just looked bad coming on right after Keller, who was by and far on top.

And as par for the course in UIL difficulty is not factored in to the scoring process, and some bands will just compete on a better level in BOA vs. UIL.

The results where quite surprising to those of us in the stands. TCHS seemed to be better than PESH. Unless Plano East just looked bad coming on right after Keller, who was by and far on top.

And as par for the course in UIL difficulty is not factored in to the scoring process, and some bands will just compete on a better level in BOA vs. UIL.

Keller, Coppell, LD Bell and Duncanville were the ones most likely to make it- the 5th spot was up for grabs and could have been any one of Haltom, Keller Central, Martin, Timber Creek or PESH. It was such an exciting evening. Bell and Coppell tied for 2nd in prelims, Duncanville was 1st in prelims and they all beat Keller who was 4th in prelims, but then Keller swooped in during finals and came 1st. Outstanding job by all bands. 

There was a large variation in scores, yes, but the top 4 teams were easily the top 4 for a reason. Keller's cloud props/tarp were beautiful and they sounded great musically.  Duncanville's Paris made me want to get on the next plane out. You just could not take your eyes off LD Bell's guard and I love that they had no props at all. Coppell's music was just beautiful as always, and the whole movement with the vocalist was just chillingly haunting- serious goosebumps!

It could have been any one of these for 1,2,3,4 really. All great solid performances and all potential State Finalist bands. What an Area Finals this was

They are different. Marcus won both in 2012. The second place band that year at state came in 6th or 7th at BOA. In 2014 neither of the top two at state medaled at BOA but were the clear top two at state. I think they were 5th and 6th at BOA.

I agree one is not better than the other but they are very different.

I believe Hebron took 7th in 2012 and 6th in 2014 at BOA, Marcus took 1st in 2012 then 4th.

Poor numbers management, comes from a system like this.

Poor numbers management exists in every system and a non-ranking system can turn out either even more wild or cause a judge to essentially accidentally remove themselves from the panel. I have seen this to an *extreme* extent in detailed DCI scoring over the past few years.

I was in the audience last night and I would have ranked the bands:

Keller

LD Bell

Duncanville

Coppell

Timber Creek

Haltom

Central

Martin

Plano East

Mansfield

But I have taught visual programs in the past and those usually stick with me more. There was some definite drop off in sound production between groups too.