6A Area B Schedule: http://www.texasmusicforms.com/regions/5/AreaMarching/2016%206A%20Area%20Schedule.pdf

9:45 - Weatherford

10:00 - Carroll

10:15 - MacArthur

10:30 - Plano

10:45 - Arlington

11:00 - Keller

11:15 - South Grand Prairie

11:30 - Nimitz

11:45 - Irving

Break

1:00 - Timber Creek

1:15 - Bowie

1:30 - Plano East

1:45 - Haltom

2:00 - Fossil Ridge

2:15 - Sam Houston

2:30 - Trinity

2:45 - Lamar

Break

3:15 - Martin

3:30 - Plano West

3:45 - LD Bell

4:00 - Duncanville

4:15 - Central

4:30 - Mansfield

4:45 - Coppell

5:00 - Paschal

That is one heck of a last block! 6 very likely finalists just in the last block alone.

Thank goodness Bell goes on later in the day (I wanna sleep in a little bit before getting my band on  :lol:  :lol: )

Thank goodness Bell goes on later in the day (I wanna sleep in a little bit before getting my band on :lol::lol: )

Yeah Plano is at 10:30 am and it's probably a 45 min drive. I've had a kid at both Plano and Plano East so I want to support both. Hoping at least East makes the finals. But the Plano kids are so excited to finally be going back to Area after a long absence.

Good luck to Bell I liked their show at BOA Plano. I am sure they will do well!

Anyone have some sort of idea how Martin will do at Area? It sure is a hectic prelims spot for them considering that last block!

I think they'll be right around 6th, potentially knocking off one of the expected advancers. Think they are hugely improved this year. Great visual program in terms of performance and musically they are very solid as well. Very large presence. One to really watch at BOA SA as well.

Definitely Martin if they're knocking the door in making State if they can knock one of the more expected finalists as LKendrick said. It's gonna be a great competion where they'll definitely be plenty of surprises!!

Here's the thing, Martins show is very artsy, which is what boa loves, which is the main reason they did good. Their area performance is just dependent on 60% music and 40% marching.

(I tried to state that in a way that wouldn't make anyone mad. When I saw Martin, I wasn't looking at technique really, so idk how they are on marching) (pls don't kill me)

It's not THAT out there, it's a show about strings.  It's not anymore BOA/UIL friendly than anyone else honestly.  

I think I'm one of the few that thinks that supposed BOA/UIL mindset is disappearing.  Yes, there is no GE, and there are no field judges, but that doesn't mean that Music and Visual are being judged any differently, just from the box.  They're not judging style, they're not judging show design and how that lends to certain types of musical performances, they're judging how you march and play.  When shows like LD Bell in 2012, Claudia Taylor Johnson in 2014, and Leander last year medal and other supposed VERY "UIL friendly" shows don't touch a medal............I think that argument starts to fall apart.  

Like I said, I think Martin marches very well and they're very close to breaking into that next tier musically this year.  Show design or not.  

Well, I don't think it's necessarily a mind set as much as it is a difference in judging criteria. Take a look at the ruberics for UIL judging and you will see that they are significantly different than what's being used in BOA judging. Yes, quality is quality regardless of the criteria, but the weight of that criteria in each system is very different.

For instance, general effect is 40% of the BOA overall score and with UIL it is 10%. As stated in the Area & State Marching Contest Judges Orientation: "Now let’s look for a moment at INTEGRATION OF MARCHING COMPONENTS. Sometimes referred to as General Effect. You will note while General Effect is a large component in many scoring systems it carries a value of only 100 points here." This is 100 points of a 1000-point scoring system, so 10%  -- and this is only on the Marching Judge's sheet. This is a significant difference by itself and even the judging criteria for music and marching is weighted a little different.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I think one fits the style of the majority of the bands today a little better. Regardless of the judging system, I still very much enjoy them both. I think once you get out of school and take your band to both types of competitions, you will have an even better understanding of their differences. I know a lot of band directors - both young and old - and these differences are the topics for many conversations and have been since the two systems have been around. The bottom line is these are two distinct judging systems. Some bands will do well in one or the other or possibly in both, depending on their particular strengths and weaknesses, but the resulting top bands in either will be very good bands. We are very fortunate to have so many good bands in Texas!

Yes, the GE components are a much smaller percent of the rubric in UIL than most other contests, but I'm not sure that 10% is exactly true.

A good portion of the Drill portion of the Marching sheet is also normally covered under GE, so maybe closer to 15%-20% for Marching.

And the vast majority of the Musicianship (20%) portion is also normally dual covered in Performance and GE in many systems and each one of the other Music subcaptions also has an "Effective Use" portion. So maybe closer to 20%-25% for Music.

All of this is extremely subjective, though, as many judges (especially those that cross systems) tend to meld some of the Performance and GE captions by themselves regardless of rubric because it is a human thing to be affected by real effectiveness.

Yes, the GE components are a much smaller percent of the rubric in UIL than most other contests, but I'm not sure that 10% is exactly true.

A good portion of the Drill portion of the Marching sheet is also normally covered under GE, so maybe closer to 15%-20% for Marching.

And the vast majority of the Musicianship (20%) portion is also normally dual covered in Performance and GE in many systems and each one of the other Music subcaptions also has an "Effective Use" portion. So maybe closer to 20%-25% for Music.

All of this is extremely subjective, though, as many judges (especially those that cross systems) tend to meld some of the Performance and GE captions by themselves regardless of rubric because it is a human thing to be affected by real effectiveness.

Yes, but they are still different and the results are different. Not that one is lesser, but just different.

They are different. Marcus won both in 2012. The second place band that year at state came in 6th or 7th at BOA. In 2014 neither of the top two at state medaled at BOA but were the clear top two at state. I think they were 5th and 6th at BOA.

I agree one is not better than the other but they are very different.

6A Area B Schedule: http://www.texasmusicforms.com/regions/5/AreaMarching/2016%206A%20Area%20Schedule.pdf

9:45 - Weatherford

10:00 - Carroll

10:15 - MacArthur

10:30 - Plano

10:45 - Arlington

11:00 - Keller

11:15 - South Grand Prairie

11:30 - Nimitz

11:45 - Irving

Break

1:00 - Timber Creek

1:15 - Bowie

1:30 - Plano East

1:45 - Haltom

2:00 - Fossil Ridge

2:15 - Sam Houston

2:30 - Trinity

2:45 - Lamar

Break

3:15 - Martin

3:30 - Plano West

3:45 - LD Bell

4:00 - Duncanville

4:15 - Central

4:30 - Mansfield

4:45 - Coppell

5:00 - Paschal

That is one heck of a last block! 6 very likely finalists just in the last block alone.

Going to get to watch this whole competition tomorrow, since my kids are all done with band. I cannot wait! So exciting! Good luck to all the bands and a special good luck to the Pride of Haltom! Get it! :)

Going to get to watch this whole competition tomorrow, since my kids are all done with band. I cannot wait! So exciting! Good luck to all the bands and a special good luck to the Pride of Haltom! Get it! :)

I will be there for a few hours too. Unfortunately neither my Plano East son or my Plano Senior daughter can go with me (at college or working). But i will still make the trip just to listen to all the bands.

Good luck to all the schools.