BOA Plano - October 8th

Has anyone seen anything they can report on from games or parent previews? Not much being said about any of these bands shows. I am going to see the Marcus Hebron game next Friday but haven't been able to get out to any other games so far.

Does anyone have any insight into any of these bands shows? Sounds like some great shows are happenning outside of the DFW area. I hope north Texas has some as well. Should be a great competition!!!

Has anyone seen anything they can report on from games or parent previews? Not much being said about any of these bands shows. I am going to see the Marcus Hebron game next Friday but haven't been able to get out to any other games so far.

Does anyone have any insight into any of these bands shows? Sounds like some great shows are happenning outside of the DFW area. I hope north Texas has some as well. Should be a great competition!!!

So did you go see the Marcus Hebron game? Thoughts on their shows?

Interesting stats for BOA Plano. The single most stacked (Non-Super) BOA Regional this year.

32 - Bands

1 - BOA GN Champion

7 - BOA GN Finalists

18? - BOA Regional Finalists

4 - UIL State Champions (in any class)

17? - UIL State Finalists (in any class)

6 - Former BOA Regional Finalists in just the first block of 8 bands

Awesome!!! I am happy to see them perform up here. I love that band. They are going to have to leave at 2am. Then perform in finals after 6pm. That's a long day. BOA couldn't give them a later time? That stinks.

Any insight on why they would do that? Aren't there regionals closer to them?

It is probably so they can compete with other bands on their level so they would travel the extra distance to do so, considering that DFW and Houston are the two Major Powerhouse bands with the other Powerhouses in Austin and San Antonio, it certainly does make sense to either compete in a regional in DFW or San Antonio and since there is more power house bands in DFW than San Antonio then boom. 

Interesting stats for BOA Plano. The single most stacked (Non-Super) BOA Regional this year.

32 - Bands

1 - BOA GN Champion

7 - BOA GN Finalists

18? - BOA Regional Finalists

4 - UIL State Champions (in any class)

17? - UIL State Finalists (in any class)

6 - Former BOA Regional Finalists in just the first block of 8 bands

Who are the 4 UIL State Champions? Anyone know?

I keep hearing Coppell is different or someone said "new kind of show". Does anyone know why people are saying that? 

Coppell hired most of the staff from Wakeland.  I am not sure of the circumstances preceding that at Coppell.  But Wakeland has been the best 5A band (excluding Leander ISD) around the last few years.  I bet Coppell will be really good in a few years.

Well Coppell has been one of the strongest bands in the state for a while, but they've had a formula for sure. Very "to the book" and decidedly not progressive classical music without much of a theme, until fairly recently when they started relaxing that - especially in non-State years. Their visual packages have also been... less than interesting. This year shows a marked difference; you can tell it's still Coppell, but there is tons more visual depth and they're playing a much more thought out and unique music book. I'm interested to see what that director team does at Coppell.

There's something about Flower Mound's design, characteristic of the past few years, that is just very unique and very impressive. You're not overwhelmed with detail. But it's not "plain" at all. There's just a remarkable amount of design clarity. Like looking through a really, really big, clean window at a massive and beautiful landscape.

Somehow, it reminds me of Hudson River School transcendentalism.

Prelims Results:

AAAA:

Music - Flower Mound

Visual - Flower Mound

GE - Flower Mound

1st - Flower Mound

2nd - Marcus

3rd - Hebron

AAA:

Music - Waxahachie

Visual - Liberty

GE - Wakeland