BOA Conroe Regional Schedule- Oct. 3rd

Sorry, we are having even more problems with the Plan-B blogging system...

No band videos to watch, no blog at an event,......Waaaaaaaaah!!!!  What is marching band coming to????!!!!!     :)    At least I got to see Cedar Ridge, Churchill, Keller and TWHS this morning at Woodforest.....I'm no judge but I liked all of them.....

p.s.  The program you buy at the stadium is totally off on the schedule.  Even the date of the show is wrong!  Use the BOA website for a current schedule!

Question, is it possible to create a forum with your commentary on their? At least we could stay updated.

I'm personally not there, so I can't comment on the bands. Unfortunately, some of the problem seems to be exacerbated by connectivity issues, so forum posting isn't entirely an option either. :(

7:45 PM - Winston Churchill H.S., TX
8:00 PM - Brazoswood H.S., TX
8:15 PM - Pearland H.S., TX
8:30 PM - Cypress Falls H.S., TX
8:45 PM - Keller H.S., TX
9:00 PM - Stephen F. Austin H.S., TX
9:15 PM - Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
9:30 PM - Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX
9:45 PM - Cedar Ridge H.S., TX
10:00 PM - Oak Ridge H.S., TX
10:15 PM - EXHIBITION: Calallen H.S., TX
10:30 PM - EXHIBITION: Tompkins H.S., TX

Not only did Oak Ridge make their first BOA finals, but they scored in the top 5 too! Cedar Ridge also in the top 5, showing they're still kicking. SFA is also back in the top 5 in Houston for the first time since 2011. Great for all of them!

Some comments:

Amazing job to Reagan to what I'm sure is a very well deserved regional win. Too bad I can't see a video on music for all to verify... While Johnson lost, I'm sure they'll still be battling for the top spot come San Antonio. I can't help but wonder what to think what the Woodlands would have done in the night show.

Cy-Falls is in a good position to get into the top half in Atlanta. Cedar Ridge is obviously showing that their director change won't keep them from doing very well. SFA seems to finally be reaching it's old levels of success with their amazing placement after some rebuilding years. 

How Keller improves in the next week will be very telling for their trajectory to Grand Nationals. I do imagine they're playing the long game. 

http://www.musicforall.org/images/PDFs/2015/Fall/RECAPS/2015.10.03_Conroe_TX_Prelims.pdf

Notable remarks:

Brazoswood would have missed finals on a penalty if TWHS had been able to stay. Had they not gotten the penalty and TWHS had stayed would have kept Cypress Falls out of finals and unable to climb *five spots* in finals.

TWHS seems to be playing the long game. I think third right behind Johnson and Reagan is the right place to be and gives them tons of room to grow.

In a complete reversal of Austin, the highest placing 3A band placed 20th. Houston was all about big schools.

First Five Out:

12) Dawson

13) James E. Taylor

14) TWCP

15) Spring

16) Rouse

recaps are up.

First off, congrats to Ronald Reagan!! What a incredible start to a new year (and with a new director!) after so many of building back up.

Now for business:

Prelims

CTJ 84.35

RR 83.95

TW 82.8

The Woodland's biggest issue right now appears to be Music Ensemble, which is contrary to what we were led to believe based off of recordings...Music Individual was 16.90, while ensemble was a full point behind at 15.90. They also didn't fair well in Visual GE, but music GE was right in there with CTJ and Reagan. If I know anything about The Woodlands band, this is far from the end result. 

without videos, as everyone has said, this makes this unpredictable season even more so. I'm interested to see where all the bands end up and how all this early season flip flopping plays out. I know all of these bands are going to be putting in a LOT of changes and improvements. 

Gonna be another year for the books!

side note: isn't this the actual show these CTJ uniforms were intended for? 

A few things to note about The Woodlands' somewhat lower than expected ensemble music score. I feel obligated to address it, because I was the one gushing about their music performance earlier: 1.) The recordings we're going off of are not the best quality, although they aren't bad either. It's possible that even though they sound technically great, the quality of the sound isn't quite up there yet. 2.) The last performance I heard from them (last week) was with a metronome. It's possible (actually, given all the tempo and time signature changes in The Woodlands' music book this year, likely) that the music doesn't click as well without it. 3.) When I listened to that Woodlands recording, I listened to it from the perspective of somebody who's very knowledgeable about wind playing, and a little less so about percussion. Chris Harris, who judged ensemble music performance in prelims, is a big percussion guy, and I have to say, I tend to disagree the most with percussion guys when it comes to music performance judging, probably because I have a different background than them. That's not to say they're wrong, it's just something I've noticed every year I've been involved in this activity.

Oh, how I wish there were videos!

Also, I'm pretty sure the 2006 Reagan show wasn't It Chooses Me, which was their 2007 production. 2006 was Transitions. 2006 was also the last year that the golden triumvirate of Chambers, Nix, and Guidry were at Reagan. I still think that 2006 is their best performed show, although it wasn't their most effective. I think they earned the bronze at UIL state that year, or came close to it. I think there was some tie-breaker between them and Duncanville. Gosh, I've been doing this too long.

So what is Reagan's ballad?  Sounds like it's pretty dang awesome from the blog.  Excited to see it.

5:51 is the beginning of where Reagan pulls their material.

I'm not a super huge fan of his voice, but the section where the full orchestra comes in and starts to build from 6:57 - 8:35 does a pretty good job of capturing what the ballad actually sounds like.