2013 BOA Grand Nationals

So happy The Woodlands brought the Eagle back to Texas! And Round Rock placing 4th??? On their first GN trip??? WHOA!!! I'll admit I didn't expect them to pull off the same feat Marcus pulled off in '09, but they did it! Huge congratulations to them! I'm also happy Marcus was able to cap off the 2013 season strongly after what happened in San Antonio. LD Bell was fantastic, and I was happy to see them back in GN finals where they belong. And kudos to Cedar Ridge on making finals on their first trip to GN in their school's short time of existence! This was a great year for Texas bands! 

And as for next year... yeah, I hope to see some more Texas bands wreck havoc at Indy with their first GN trip (Hebron, Vandy, Westlake... looking at you guys ;)).

What an amazing season. Can't wait to see what 2014 has in store. See everyone next fall for another amazing season!

the Marcus parent was telling us that she was told by a Carmel parent earlier that day that "Texas bands don't win here". I guess that Carmel parent was a little surprised and unhappy a few hours later!

I was finally able to get through the finals performances and it looked like TW was just too strong. I do think that Carmel and Hebron would have been tight for 2nd. I was not as impressed with Avon as expected and it looked to me like Bowie and maybe CTJ could have made a run at 3-4.

Also, I thought Marcus's finals run was really strong and tight and I thought they and Avon would fight for 3rd. Nice surprise and a great result for RR. It's been a long season, I hope everybody gets some rest now!

Round Rock's Prelims performance is going to be a major memory for me. That run was hands down the largest difference in performance level over just two weeks (SA to GN) that I have ever seen! Those kids really knuckled down and gave everything they had for those two weeks!

I just have to say, that parent was definitely not representative of the program. The Carmel kids were extremely nice and congratulatory of everyone at retreat!

On that note, I have to say a few things about the Blue Springs program. After hearing their show in St. Louis, I was really impressed with their show. In San Antonio, I approached the directors while they were watching a few bands in the prelims and I welcomed them to Texas told them how much I really liked their show. They were very friendly, modest, and just nice people. Later during their prelim performance, I was sitting with a bunch of BR parents and they were exactly the same. They were friendly, clapped for every band, and were very complimentary to other parents from other bands. Throughout the day, every one of their parents I encountered were the very same way. I was very impressed with the parents as well.

I didn't really get to meet or interact with any of the band kids until at the Grand Nationals after the finals announcements and we were leaving the stadium. I was walking next to a long line of BR kids who just found out that they were not in the finals. Although you could tell that they were disappointed, they were congratulating the parents of bands that did make it as they would recognize them by their show shirts and telling them how much they liked their band's show. They were sad, but at the same time happy for others. They were not defeated and you could see the determination in these kid's eyes. I was really impressed with these kids as well.

Oh, and I almost forgot... as I was leaving the stadium after the announcement for bands making the finals, there was a large group of Blue Springs parents by the entry gates cheerfully giving away their finals tickets. These are some of the nicest, most generous people I've ever met. I do hope they come back to Texas next year!

And as for next year... yeah, I hope to see some more Texas bands wreck havoc at Indy with their first GN trip (Hebron, Vandy, Westlake... looking at you guys ;)).

I think Hebron and Vandy are no brainers, if not next year, then in the next couple of years. I've always wondered why westlake has never made the trip (I think?). I think Indianapolis would love them and I know they're financially capable of it.

On another miscellaneous note, I love how complete the Woodlands package was this year. Every time I listen to this show I find something new I love about it, most recently their use of various cymbal crashes to mimic train exhaust/brakes. And yet they're so integrated into the music!! So many great little moments in this show that scream "we're going for a title this year!" And don't even get me started on the nonstop intensity/volume of this show! Incredible. Alright, sorry, that's enough love from me.

Recently thought back to the woodlands area debacle back in '08 (has it already been that long??!) and gotta be impressed how they didn't miss a beat after that. I know that was a while ago, but they never really let that get to them. (Maybe not related, but just spewing thougts)

Congratulations to the Woodlands, and the other Texas bands, with the great showing at Indy!  Sorry, but this Blue Springs' parent didn't give away his tickets to finals; I watched and cheered at finals as did our band.  Many of our kids talked about how nice the kids from the Woodlands and Round Rock were to them.  One kid talked about how when leaving the stadium after the semi finals, the kids from Round Rock TX gave our band a three finger salute like they did in the hunger games for a fallen contestant. My son said it was awesome! It really lifted their spirits. According to many of the kids, Round Rock and The Woodlands were the nicest group of kids. They told them they really wanted Blue Springs to go to finals with them and they where bummed when Blue Springs didn't get to go.  I know you guys have some GREAT bands in Texas, but it sounds like you have some GREAT kids too!! 

Congratulations to the Woodlands, and the other Texas bands, with the great showing at Indy!  Sorry, but this Blue Springs' parent didn't give away my tickets to finals; I watched and cheered at finals as did our band.  Many of our kids talked about how nice the kids from the Woodlands and Round Rock were to them.  One kid talked about how when leaving the stadium after the semi finals, the kids from Round Rock TX gave our band a three finger salute like they did in the hunger games for a fallen contestant. My son said it was awesome! It really lifted their spirits. According to many of the kids, Round Rock and The Woodlands were the nicest group of kids. They told them they really wanted Blue Springs to go to finals with them and they where bummed when Blue Springs didn't get to go.  I know you guys have some GREAT bands in Texas, but it sounds like you have some GREAT kids too!! 

We absolutely love Blue Springs! They are such a nice band! The support from them helped us push hard into finals!

Even though I have obviously voiced my fanboy love for The Woodlands this year, I just wanted to add that Round Rock left me speechless. Like others have said, RR at SA and RR at GN were like two different bands! So much improvement!! Their show left me in awe at the amount of energy they brought to the field, and I was especially struck by their gorgeous music selections! I don't think any show has ever evoked this much emotion from me (maybe LD Bell 08 or Broken Arrow 06...idk). Best part of the show is easily the closer with "Ice Dance" from Edward Scissorhands. Chills through the roof. Truly remarkable. Stuck with me all night. Can't wait to see what this band does in the future.

You're right, I shouldnt take anything away from them. I did watch the live stream and RR deserves everything they have achieved. But when you said the even if Hebron and Bowie went they wouldnt have been able to stop them....come on lets be serious. If Hebron and Bowie wouldve gone, it wouldve been deja vu.

I see where you may think that and I've been thinking about this for a while. Round Rock raised their score 6.25 points from the SA finals to the GN finals. That's a pretty big jump. For the bands above them in the SA finals to have beat them at the GN finals, they would have had to improve quite a bit themselves. Marcus, LD Bell, and Blue Springs were not able to do this and I'm not sure that all of the others would have been able to do it either. The Woodlands did and Hebron may have, but I'm not sure if Bowie, CTJ, Reagan, and Vandegrift would have. Take a look at the attachment to see just how much each band would have had to improve to make the same score as Round Rock. To beat them, it would have to be more than that.

Of course, this is all just speculation with only some facts and some what-ifs. Round Rock was 4th from prelims to the finals and I think that would have been hard to top and was for everyone but TW, Carmel, and Avon. This means to beat Round Rock they would have had to be at the same level as TW, Carmel, and Avon. I think maybe this would not have happened this year, but who knows.

What I do know is that we sent 5 good bands and they all did well. I'm so proud of them! But as far as not sending our best -- for the season overall, I think we did send 2 of our best 3 bands for this year. And the truth is that most of the time we can send any of our finalist from SA and they will do well at the GN's.

RR SA to GN.pdf

I see where you may think that and I've been thinking about this for a while. Round Rock raised their score 6.25 points from the SA finals to the GN finals. That's a pretty big jump. For the bands above them in the SA finals to have beat them at the GN finals, they would have had to improve quite a bit themselves. Marcus, LD Bell, and Blue Springs were not able to do this and I'm not sure that all of the others would have been able to do it either. The Woodlands did and Hebron may have, but I'm not sure if Bowie, CTJ, Reagan, and Vandegrift would have. Take a look at the attachment to see just how much each band would have had to improve to make the same score as Round Rock. To beat them, it would have to be more than that.

Of course, this is all just speculation with only some facts and some what-ifs. Round Rock was 4th from prelims to the finals and I think that would have been hard to top and was for everyone but TW, Carmel, and Avon. This means to beat Round Rock they would have had to be at the same level as TW, Carmel, and Avon. I think maybe this would not have happened this year, but who knows.

What I do know is that we sent 5 good bands and they all did well. I'm so proud of them! But as far as not sending our best -- for the season overall, I think we did send 2 of our best 3 bands for this year. And the truth is that most of the time we can send any of our finalist from SA and they will do well at the GN's.

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

This was a magnificent year, not only for the five Texas bands in finals, but also for every single member of a Texas band.

The Eagle now lives here in Texas, but never forget, it will be up for grabs again next year.

Everyone should be proud of what they accomplished this year, but always be mindful, next year comes much sooner than expected....

"Stay classy Texas...."