BOA Atlanta Oct 2011

I'm very interested to see how Super-Bowie will do against Tarpon Springs (FL) and Kennesaw Mountain (GA) on their own turf.

My predictions (just because):

1. Tarpon Springs (FL)....4th at Nationals, that's just tough to beat.

2. James Bowie (TX)...They've got a pretty good shot at the Music Caption (see bottom of post)

3. Kennesaw Mountain (GA)...6th at Nationals last year. Though after surpassing Bell at Arlington, I think Bowie is capable of performing at the level of a 6th-ranked GN band (and beyond).

4. Wando (SC)...Lost to Bowie by 1 place at GN in '09.

5. Carlton J. Kell (GA).....Won 2 BOA Regionals last year (Jacksonville & Kettering and is coming into this event with a 2nd place finish at the Jacksonville Regional.

6. McEachern (GA).....Placed 3rd right behind Centerville (OH) at the Akron Regional this year.

7. Walton (GA)

8. Collins Hill (GA)

9. Hillgrove (GA)

10. Clear Brook (TX).....I see Clear Brook placing between 9th and 14th.

Oh! And speaking of out-of-state regionals, Birdville sadly missed out on Finals at the St. Louis (MO) Super Regional the Saturday before last (they placed 15th in prelims)......but they still won the 3A music caption despite not making finals or obtaining a class medal (they placed 5th in class AAA).

Birdville placing 15th overall but still winning the AAA music caption in prelims got me interested in dissecting the Music scores for the contest. Here are the class AAA bands ranked in order of class placement with their overall Music Performance score on the right (and with their overall prelims rank in parenthesis)....Notice how the music scores follow the relative placement of the bands quite beautifully until you reach Birdville, where the score suddenly spikes by an entire point and a half before returning back to the downward trickle again:

1.Rosemount, MN (6th) - 16.70

2.Bellevue West, NE (10th) - 15.85

3.Lindbergh, MO (9th) - 15.50

4.Kickapoo, MO (11th) - 15.35

5.Birdville, TX (15th) - 16.85

6.Eastview, MN (18th) - 14.95

7.Oakville, MO (21st) - 14.40

8.Collierville, TN (24th) - 14.40

9.Wentzville Holt, MO (25th) - 13.40

10.Roosevelt, SD (27th) - 13.40

11.Edmond North, OK (29th) - 13.30

12.Bartletsville, OK (34th) - 13.50

13.Lincoln-Way North, IL (35th) - 12.20

14.Westmoore, OK (37th) - 12.65

15.Edwardsville, IL (40th) - 12.95

16.Parkway South, MO (45th) - 11.45

And here are the AAA bands ranked in order of Overall Music Performance in Prelims. Check out the nearly whole 1 point gap between the top 2 bands and the 3rd place band, and notice how Rosemount still took 2nd in Music despite placing 9 places higher than Birdville and taking the other 2 captions......not bad for a band that placed 5th overall in AAA:

5.Birdville, TX (15th) - 16.85

1.Rosemount, MN (6th) - 16.70

3.Bellevue West, NE (10th) - 15.85

2.Lindbergh, MO (9th) - 15.50

4.Kickapoo, MO (11th) - 15.35

6.Eastview, MN (18th) - 14.95

7.Oakville, MO (21st) - 14.40

8.Collierville, TN (24th) - 14.40

12.Bartletsville, OK (34th) - 13.50

9.Wentzville Holt, MO (25th) - 13.40

10.Roosevelt, SD (27th) - 13.40

11.Edmond North, OK (29th) - 13.30

15.Edwardsville, IL (40th) - 12.95

14.Westmoore, OK (37th) - 12.65

13.Lincoln-Way North, IL (35th) - 12.20

16.Parkway South, MO (45th) - 11.45

Here are the top 9 scoring bands in Overall Music Performance in all of prelims:

1. Broken Arrow, OK (1st) - 17.40

2. Union, OK (2nd) - 17.30

3. Owasso, OK (3rd) - 17.30

4. William Mason, OH (4th) - 17.25

5. Blue Springs, MO (7th) - 17.15

6. Birdville, TX (15th) - 16.85

7. Rosemount, MN (6th) - 16.70

8. Marian Catholic, IL (5th) - 16.25

9. O'Fallon Township, IL (8th) - 15.95

Check out the single digit placements for all the other bands and how only 1 band (Blue Springs) separates Bville from the Top 4 placing bands in all of Prelims. This analysis is a testament to Birdville's prowess in music as well as a representative of the relatively high level of music capability that Texas Bands in general possess in contests across the country.

Now....I know what you might be thinking: "Oh! Well then a band like Bowie should have no problem winning the Music caption in Atlanta".

Not so fast! B) ....If this were any other BOA Regional outside of Texas (and Avon, because they're Avon <_ then yes....you probably be right...especially with how beautifully bowie is playing this year. however the cobb county school district in georgia only other place united states outside of texas that has concert wind symphonies are capable making tmea honor band finals texas....and there will several schools competing regional including carlton j. kell which took and music captions at both jacksonville kettering regionals last year symphony was also invited to midwest clinic same oh yeah.....and kennesaw mountain who essentially cedar park equal grand nats>

Looking forward to this contest.

Here is a list of every GN Finals Music Caption winner since 1985:

2010 Avon IN

2009 Marcus TX

2008 Carmel IN

2007 LD Bell TX

2006 LD Bell TX

2005 Ronald Reagan TX

2004 SFA TX

2003 Westfield TX

2002 Lassiter GA

2001 LD Bell TX

*2000 Plymouth Canton MI

1999 Plymouth Canton MI

1998 Marian Catholic IL

*1997 Marian Catholic IL

*1996 Lake Park IN & Marian Catholic IL

1995 Westfield TX

1994 Lassiter GA

1993 Spring TX

*1992 Plymouth Canton MI

1991 Duncanville TX

1990 Westfield TX

*1989 Marian Catholic IL

*1988 Marian Catholic IL

*1987 Marian Catholic IL

* 1986 Rocky Mount NC

**1985 Marian Catholic IL (2nd was Westfield TX)

* = No TX band in Finals

** = Prelims Results

Notice that over the last 10 years (2001-2010), TX has won the Music caption 7 out of 10 times.

And TX also won the Music caption 4 out of the 7 times that there was a TX band in Finals during the 1990s.

And and TX has had 7 different bands win the Music caption. There have only been a total of 7 different non-TX bands to ever win the Music caption.

Yes.

Any still type camera may be used. Family, friends and fans may take still photos of BOA events for personal use only. The images may not be sold or otherwise distributed, without the written permission of Music for All. Any still camera (making film or digital still pictures) is allowed into and may be used from the spectator seating area of any venue. Cameras (of any kind) may not be used on the field. People with field passes or name badges must go into the stands to take digital or film pictures. Tripods or other similar equipment that may obstruct the view or path of travel of others in seating areas are also not allowed.

Just a note: Do not use video cameras at any BOA event.

Two years ago I was volunteering at the BOA SA up in the judges' area and one of the BOA staff pointed out a parent in the stands recording the performance that was on the field. Someone was sent down to tell her to turn it off or leave. I was almost afraid to take any still pictures- ^_^

They do have people that roam around verifying field passes and if anyone is 'illegally recording'

Edited by kdnblue142

Understand you can't video performances at BOA events, but can you have a camcorder with you to take still pictures from the stands and also to record retreat, awards (non-performance) things?

I don't think you can do any of that with a camcorder....you can 'say' you're taking still pictures but who knows......? And I don't think you can record retreat or awards either.

I have recorded with my digital camera but the quality was, of course, sketchy, because I was not close enough and the camera wasn't high quality either- but it certainly was for personal use-not even close to something anyone would want to see on youtube. ;)

So not even personal cameras to take pictures? Forum guys is this true? Is it different from BOA regionals? I was able to take video of the awards part there. Can't see what harm that would cause.

Video cameras are not allowed. Still cameras are allowed.

Part of the problem, though, is that the line between those two types of devices has becoming a huge blurry ocean of device that do both.

Back to the subject at hand, I think Bowie could very well win this. Those kids are going to be marching and playing on pure emotion, and when that happens I think they win, no matter the history of the programs they are competing against. I'm certainly rooting for those kids. They deserve it after what they've been through.

Edited by RWood

thanks! We're really rooting for them too. Wish I could be there to cheer them on.

Back to the subject at hand, I think Bowie could very well win this. Those kids are going to be marching and playing on pure emotion, and when that happens I think they win, no matter the history of the programs they are competing against. I'm certainly rooting for those kids. They deserve it after what they've been through.

Atlanta Prelims Results:

Class AAAA:

Music - James Bowie

Visual - James Bowie

General Effect - James Bowie

Class AAA:

Music - Tarpon Springs

Visual - Tarpon Springs

General Effect - Tarpon Springs

Class AA:

Music - Cape Fear

Visual - Ola