• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could CP's low prelim scores be attributed to their realllllly early slot (being first band of the day)

That was my thought. I figured one judge gave himself a lot of room at the start of the day and then forgot about CP as he was judging others the rest of the day. If the judge really didn't CP then the judge could have given the same placement during the finals which would have been to keep CP from advancing.

Congratulations to Dripping Springs, Lake Travis, Cedar Park, and Vandegrift! I expect all four of these bands to make finals on November 8th!

Same here! I was there ALL day long yesterday and saw all of the shows in prelims and finals. I noticed considerable improvement with many of the bands who placed in the top ten from previous performances I had seen them in, i.e. festivals, etc. As far as the finals go, I had predicted that after Regions, seeing that I had seen all of the shows multiple times. The four finalists all performed extremely well and deserve their win. I believe Area D is well-represented and will make an outstanding showing on November 8. Go Lake Travis!

I'm a member of the Dripping Springs band, and to anyone from Lake Travis on here, you should know that, as a whole, our band is really proud of/happy for you. We really are. And the same thing to both Vandegrift and Cedar Park. These are the four bands that I predicted to go on (though I would not openly say Dripping Springs would make it until we actually MADE it, I don't want to be the pompous jerk whose band ends up staying home), and each band is very good, and each one of them is definitely considered strong competition. November 8th will be an very intense day, and I hope each one of these bands make finals. Congratulations! :D

I'm a member of the Dripping Springs band, and to anyone from Lake Travis on here, you should know that, as a whole, our band is really proud of/happy for you. We really are. And the same thing to both Vandegrift and Cedar Park. These are the four bands that I predicted to go on (though I would not openly say Dripping Springs would make it until we actually MADE it, I don't want to be the pompous jerk whose band ends up staying home), and each band is very good, and each one of them is definitely considered strong competition. November 8th will be an very intense day, and I hope each one of these bands make finals. Congratulations! :D

I am not a band member, but a very proud band parent and thank you for you kind words. I too did not openly admit that we were going to be one of the four, just kept it to myself. Congratulations to y'all for a job well-done and also to Cedar Park and Vandegrfit! Area D is amazing!

could you put those up? :D

It was a blurry cell-phone pick that was extremely hard to read other than the overall placements. All I could really tell from it was that CP was 7th, had a double-digit music judge ranking, and a total somewhere around 30-36. And with a total that high, more than just the one music judge had CP outside of the top-4 advancing spots just based on Prelims. I'm chalking it up to having gone on so early in a really tight race.

It was a blurry cell-phone pick that was extremely hard to read other than the overall placements. All I could really tell from it was that CP was 7th, had a double-digit music judge ranking, and a total somewhere around 30-36. And with a total that high, more than just the one music judge had CP outside of the top-4 advancing spots just based on Prelims. I'm chalking it up to having gone on so early in a really tight race.

i see i see

well i actually wanted to know one thing, what was dripping springs scores? were they given all 1's? or was it varying as well. i'm just curious to see how they racked up against the others.

i see i see

well i actually wanted to know one thing, what was dripping springs scores? were they given all 1's? or was it varying as well. i'm just curious to see how they racked up against the others.

All I can tell is that they had a 1 in music, a 1 in marching, and the total was 11.

Amazing contest! it was a nail biter. way to go Lake Travis! I had a feeling early on in the season that you guys were going to stick around and you did in a big way! Cedar Park, Wow! you guys play it loud and keep it in tune. Sorry that Hendrickson did not make the cut; really wish that D had a 5th spot. Dripping Springs, what can I say, you showed us what a state champ should look and sound like on the turf...

Lake Travis added up to eleven I believe. My school has the full recaps I will better examine them tommorrow.

Hays got eighth in Finals, Vista Ridge got seventh. So that means that the orders are definitely:

1. Dripping Springs

2. Lake Travis

3. Cedar Park

4. Vandegrift

5. Hendrickson

6. Connally

7. Vista Ridge

8. Hays

9. Cedar Ridge

10. Canyon

What is frustrating is it seems possible that can be one judge can make or break a band. What would be fair is throwing out top and bottom scores.. That would keep judging streamlined knowing if you score too low, your score will be thrown out. This would give all the bands a fighting chance should one judge not like their program. Seems this would have helped CP at Area D.

What is frustrating is it seems possible that can be one judge can make or break a band. What would be fair is throwing out top and bottom scores.. That would keep judging streamlined knowing if you score too low, your score will be thrown out. This would give all the bands a fighting chance should one judge not like their program. Seems this would have helped CP at Area D.

TMEA uses the Olympic-Style scoring procedure that you are talking about in Honor Band evaluation. If I'm a Music judge, I'm not sure I like the idea of my score being thrown out, especially when I'm looking at the exact same sheet as two other guys.

How can 3 judges score 1,2 or 3 and then along comes a judge that doesn't like the show then score that band in the double digits, knowing what they are doing! If they score that different from the others... The score should be thrown out. Too bad if they don't like it. Maybe judging will be more consistent. IMO.........

How can 3 judges score 1,2 or 3 and then along comes a judge that doesn't like the show then score that band in the double digits, knowing what they are doing! If they score that different from the others... The score should be thrown out. Too bad if they don't like it. Maybe judging will be more consistent. IMO.........

UIL judges have always been the most inconsistent. Here's a list of the judges from Area D contest.

Richard Herrera, Brandeis HS

Kathy Johnson, Argyle HS

Andy Sealy, Hebron HS

Keith Bearden, Lubbock

Rob Toups, Canton HS

It really doesn't have to do with the judge not liking the show or the judge not knowing what's going on. Think about it: You have three music judges with the exact same criteria in front of them. There's a chance that at the exact same moment in a show, the three judges might be critiquing three different things.