[Major Event] BOA Grand National Championships, Indianapolis, IN - Nov. 13-15, 2008

Can't wait to head up to Nationals tomorrow morning! This will be my first time attending Grand Nationals as a spectator (I went twice as a performer) and I am looking forward to enjoying this unique experience. Look for the staff in the crowd! The Club Level Experience tomorrow night should be fantastic!

L.D. Bell is aeonically epic. There are no other words......

The band pulled a Spring 2000 and left the playing area before the show was even done.....heck they practically left the freaking stadium.....that of course means an automatic penalty, so there's no doubt they have an ending planned for finals that doesn't involve them exiting the stadium--the staff would be out of their minds to give up any crucial points for finals that could cost them the championship just for the sake of being original.

L.D. Bell is aeonically epic. There are no other words......

The band pulled a Spring 2000 and left the playing area before the show was even done.....heck they practically left the freaking stadium.....that of course means an automatic penalty, so there's no doubt they have an ending planned for finals that doesn't involve them exiting the stadium--the staff would be out of their minds to give up any crucial points for finals that could cost them the championship just for the sake of being original.

Or the staff would rather create an awesome emotional production instead of worry about winning a championship! At least I would hope thats the way it goes.

So I'm rather pissed, I took a nap and woke up literally as bell was leaving the field =(

I'll get to watch the show on demand soon enough though I guess. Did anyone else see Broken Arrow? And was anyone else incredibly confused by their show?

Or the staff would rather create an awesome emotional production instead of worry about winning a championship! At least I would hope thats the way it goes.

So I'm rather pissed, I took a nap and woke up literally as bell was leaving the field =(

I'll get to watch the show on demand soon enough though I guess. Did anyone else see Broken Arrow? And was anyone else incredibly confused by their show?

I was so confused when I watched it.

I didn't get the whole announcement remix they did. It got kind of annoying after about 30 seconds.

ok. see i thought you get a deduction for walking off the field. but at BOA SA they didnt get a deduction. so im a lil confused about that.

From Section 3: Performance Timing of the adjudication handbook -

"3.03 A band is allowed a Performance time of 7 to 11 minutes anywhere on the Performance Field.

The timing will begin at the conclusion of the four-minute set-up/warm-up time, following the

announcement that “Bands of America is proud to present in preliminary/finals Performance

Drum Majors _____________ and ______________ and the _______________ H.S. Marching

‘nickname.’” If the first step or first note of music has not occurred within 30 seconds of

conclusion of the announcement, the timer will commence timing. Musical exits will be included

in the time of the show. Visual moves with percussion cadence (or silence) will generally be

included in the exit timing, and not in the time of the Performance.

3.04 Bands should completely vacate the Performance Field within two (2) minutes of the end of the

Performance. We define vacating the Performance Field as being outside/clear of the goal line (the

goal line being used for and in the direction of the exit) with all personnel, equipment and props.

Penalties shall be assessed only when it is determined by the Field Manager or Contest Director

that the band exiting is not making concerted efforts or substantial progress in complying with

the rule. Bands that “troop” the stands, exit the field in the wrong direction, or have props or

equipment that cannot be promptly removed will be penalized.

Any cadence/music used as an exit routine must cease once the Performance Field is vacated or

the goal line is crossed. We caution you to be conscious of the microphones, television cameras,

etc. while exiting. See also Section 6 below on Equipment & Restrictions."

and Section 4: Boundaries -

"4.01 The entire Performance including all music must be played from within the Performance Field.

Command personnel are exempt.

Drum majors may place and retrieve an instrument from any place in the Performance Area.

However, if a drum major performs on the instrument, the performance must occur from within

the boundaries of the Performance Field.

Exception

A student running a mixing board (i.e. balancing wireless microphones, etc.) may be located

outside the boundaries of the Performance Field, but in the Performance Area, without penalty.

4.02 All boundary lines are now included as part of the Performance Field. Stepping on a boundary

line DOES NOT constitute a violation. The crossing of these lines, defined as one entire foot of

a performer being placed “outside” of the boundary, will constitute a boundary violation.

4.03 PENALTY: For boundary violation – 0.1 points per flagrant infraction"

So maybe they are considering their tag ending as "exit cadence/music"? Or maybe they just don't care about it? Bands have definitely used this kind of ending before (i.e. Broken Arrow '05)

Hope that clears things up :)

Edited by SaxoAK

Bourbon County H.S., KY - Class A Exhibition - 7:45 p.m.

Plymouth Canton Ed. Park, MI - 8:00 p.m.

L.D. Bell H.S., TX - 8:15 p.m.

Broken Arrow Sr. H.S., OK - 8:30 p.m.

Lafayette H.S., LA - 8:45 p.m.

Marian Catholic H.S., IL - 9:00 p.m.

Ben Davis H.S., IN - 9:15 p.m.

Kennesaw Mountain H.S., GA - 9:30 p.m.

Centerville H.S., OH - 9:45 p.m.

Carmel H.S., IN - 10:00 p.m.

Lawrence Central H.S., IN - 10:15 p.m.

Tarpon Springs H.S., FL - 10:30 p.m.

Avon H.S., IN - 10:45 p.m.

Bourbon County H.S., KY - Class A Exhibition - 7:45 p.m.

Plymouth Canton Ed. Park, MI - 8:00 p.m.

L.D. Bell H.S., TX - 8:15 p.m.

Broken Arrow Sr. H.S., OK - 8:30 p.m.

Lafayette H.S., LA - 8:45 p.m.

Marian Catholic H.S., IL - 9:00 p.m.

Ben Davis H.S., IN - 9:15 p.m.

Kennesaw Mountain H.S., GA - 9:30 p.m.

Centerville H.S., OH - 9:45 p.m.

Carmel H.S., IN - 10:00 p.m.

Lawrence Central H.S., IN - 10:15 p.m.

Tarpon Springs H.S., FL - 10:30 p.m.

Avon H.S., IN - 10:45 p.m.

lol omg! thank you! i was like walking around my house complaining about how no one had the times. lol. yay! i love you! lol