I just bought mine today. I got Romanze and Menutto By W.A. Mozart for the Tenor Saxophone.

I tried picking something out that wasn't too hard, so I can memorize it and go to TSSAE this year. But after playing it for a little bit, I think its TOO easy. I'm probably going to take it back.

Yeahh, I always try to pick up one of the harder Class 1's.

Last year I played the Lunde Sonata, which wasn't extremely difficult, but it had some pretty rad tempo ranges. And the slower portion of it is absolutely amazing. If you're willing to work a bit, I would definitely suggest it for alto players. It helps with classical tone and vibrato tremendously.

I was very close to picking up Suite No. 1 by JS Bach. Its much more difficult, and I must play 3 out of the 6 movements. The more I think about it, the more I think colleges would rather me play something difficult than something easier (still not easy though) memorized. Another plus, the Bach can be unaccompanied.

Ill go back and get it. I may try and do both, the Mozart for UIL, and the Bach for colleges. With Bach being my main priority.

Edited by rpd

Yay for no S&E!!!!!

But I have juries still. =[ My jury piece this semester is freaking awesome though! The Carmen Fantasy Suite. It's this like 12 page, 12 minute long solo that basically highlights the themes of Carmen and also does a theme and variation of "Habanera". I'm in love with it, but it's hard.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of doing Bernstein's Clarinet Sonata Mvt. I for the UIL State Solo contest and then possibly switching over to Stravinsky's Three Peices for TSSEC.

And I have to learn Hommage a Khatchaturian or however you spell it for the ICA competition.

Whoopee for exhausting myself in the spring!

• 2 months later...
I'm playing the 2nd movement (Romanza) from the Vaughan Williams Concerto for Tuba and Orchestra. It's hard. I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

Profound piece of music right there. That piece has a strong meaning to those who knew the late Arnold Jacobs (former principal Tuba of the Chicago Symphony), as he was the true champion of that work.

It also sounds really amazing on Cello [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luk9Nd-Du-U] (and Euphonium for that matter :) ), as it's the kind of piece where regardless of how much emotion you put into it, you still end up feeling like you completely fail at expressing the piece's true meaning, like as a human being failing to achieve the perfect beauty it professes, no matter how much passion you pour into it.....it's that deep.

And just for the sake of advice, if you're listening to that Cello recording; the Cellist doesn't do the greatest job of this that I've ever heard in my time, but the lick from 3:50 to 4:08 pretty much needs to sound like the most beautiful thing you've ever heard in your entire life. It's the final "sweet release" in a series of tension and release points throughout the piece and needs to be treated as such. It's like you're at a funeral and you've got 18 seconds to say one final thing to your best friend/lover who's just died, and you have to do it all behind every limitation that exists within a Tuba. Try to think like that, and you'll sell it :).

I love this piece.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up Piece Breve by Eugene Bozza for Tenor Saxophone today. It is hard, but it if very fun, plus being an unaccompanied piece is nice too. I'm going to try and get the second page clean for my University of Houston audition, and then learn the rest for TSSEC. I have about 4 lines to memorize on my current piece with 3 weeks left, so I think I'm doing well.

Does anyone know if there's a transcription of the Creston Sonata for Tenor Sax? I don't want to spend $20 and transpose it to find out something is impossible to do on tenor, or just doesn't sound good. I know it wouldn't be on the PML, but just something to do for fun.