Area B Marching Band Contest

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I did...but we left after Richland.

I actually built myself a simulated UIL judging panel: me, my best friend, and little sister each judging music, and my dad and our color guard captain judging marching.

When we left, of the seven we saw (we got there too late for Allen) we had it like so:

Bell

Marcus

Hebron

Richland

Mansfield

Plano East

Wylie

Nice to know that at least we seem to know what we're talking about when we rank schools.

I loved Mansfield's performance. Some great guard work (and really loud parents...that's always cool). And, just in general, I love Bernstein...especially "On the Waterfront." Kudos to y'all.

Edited by ftwdrummer

Well we (meaning Hebron) were fourth after prelims... Which is CRAZY! And we got fifth after finals... Thanks everyone who congratulated and encouraged us along the way. :)

I saw finals from LD Bell onward... (I believe that included Richland, Haltom, and Plano Sr)

And I just gotta say....... Bell was fabulous! I'm such a big fan of them!! This year is by far my favorite thus far. I hope they just demolish everyone in their path.

I still can't quite grasp the fact that we placed 22nd. And I'm not trying to be a sore loser. I applaud the bands who made finals. But really 22nd? I watched the video of the performance and I really did not see a 22nd place performance. Some of the bands that high up there. Some of it was just a joke.

congrats state bands!!!

uhh

Boyd came in 6TH at Plano East

Boyd is a great band and they ended up in 17!

This wasn't a competition for little kids, so don't feel bad. Someone has to come in 22nd. Also logically judges aren't as methodical when determining 22nd as they are for 2nd. So maybe you did deserve better. I hope you enjoyed the day and at least have fun.

Welcome to 5A area B... its ruthless

Well we (meaning Hebron) were fourth after prelims... Which is CRAZY! And we got fifth after finals... Thanks everyone who congratulated and encouraged us along the way. :)

I saw finals from LD Bell onward... (I believe that included Richland, Haltom, and Plano Sr)

And I just gotta say....... Bell was fabulous! I'm such a big fan of them!! This year is by far my favorite thus far. I hope they just demolish everyone in their path.

we didn't get to see bell... i wanted to soooo badly though.

Ruthless indeed, although it seems like the top 5 kinda have a stranglehold on the Area. Marcus, Bell, Richland, Hebron, and Haltom kinda dominate the area. Mansfield is knocking on their heels, though.

Two years ago, it was Summit knocking on their heels. This year, a different Mansfield school took the slot. I'd wager (about $0.02) that in two years, it'll be Legacy doing the same thing.

Ruthless indeed, although it seems like the top 5 kinda have a stranglehold on the Area. Marcus, Bell, Richland, Hebron, and Haltom kinda dominate the area. Mansfield is knocking on their heels, though.

Mansfield is so great this year! It kind of feels like they came up from nowhere... They kind of remind me of us from back in the day. I hope they go far.

that is a fair statement. Those 5 are just soooo good at what they do. This was a great senior year and i'm just happy to be in finals. Let alone do well.

4 years ago our band was dq'd from area

2 years ago we got 18th

and it's finally paid off. Great Senior year.

You definitely should, Stephen! Hebron has the 59th performance slot out of 60 at BOA SA. :D

i wish we were going soooo bad... we're doing the duncanville contest... but never in my high school career have we made finals at a super regional... we missed by two in st. louis.

but that's gonna' be one intense contest.

Nobody who participated in this contest should feel like they lost because every band was exceptional. Making art competitive chafes me a little. I love it, but I hate it. The hardest working students in the world could be handed the dullest drill and most boring, easy music. How would they place? With perfect execution, they'd still wind up somewhere in the middle.

Is this contest stuff for the students or for the directors? Obviously both, but what's the breakdown? 35/65?

Just wanted to say to Mansfield keep doing what ever you are doing. You will continue to rise to the top with what I saw last night. Your guard was incredible (rivaling Bell's). It was one of my favs of the night. Be proud of were you made it this year and keep pushing for the future, you will be there before you know it.

For clarification, the below is about Prelims results, not Finals.

1. LD Bell - 2 1 2 3 2

2. Marcus - 1 3 1 5 1

3. Richland - 3 2 5 1 4

Because it didn't affect who was moving on they didn't apply the tie-breakers and special rules.

But if they had been applied, Marcus would have been 1st in Prelims due to having two 1st place Music votes and a 1st place Marching vote.

i don't wanna jinx anything but when was the last time an alternate went to state?

Two years ago in Area A the alternate advanced because one of the formerly advancing bands had an ineligible student.

i don't wanna jinx anything but when was the last time an alternate went to state?

I believe this happened in 2006 in Area A. One band was replaced because an ineligible student marched at Area Contest. I can't remember who it was specifically but I'm sure someone can clear it up.

that is interesting... i'm curious to that as well.

i wish we weren't in the powerhouse area. I remember freshman year when Mansfield was in the Duncanville/Coppell region... That one was SO much easier... Ah the good old days.

Edited by marcomac29