2007 UIL State 4A Finals Results

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CALLING ALL DRIPPING SPRINGS BAND MEMBERS!!!!!

........PLEASE round up your village idiot before he makes your program look bad ;) ..I know most of you are cool out there...

His posts are making me cringe, actually. Please don't judge the wonderful band by him...I would say 90% of the band shows MUCH more tact and class than that!! Or I wouldn't have been attending their events with them and surrounding myself with them. Those are some of the most wonderful, well-behaved kids. Of course, we always have to have a few rotten apples in the bunch, I guess.

Now, Mr. Flute...please do your band directors proud and be nice. Honest or not, if something's not nice, it doesn't need to be shared. :)

What would that be? Don't take so many Pre-AP courses? Become a section leader so I can fine-tune my section and NOT be harassed?

That would be not saying anything negative after disgracing your program like you did. It's okay, it'll all work out soon enough....

GRAAA! Why would that have anything to do with us getting 10th in finals? Are the Low Brass and I the only ones that look at that and can say that it doesn't matter and it never happened? Am I the only one that sees what I see? I'd tell you what I see every time an opposing force is mentioned, but it would be denied, misinterpreted, and I would be ridiculed-yet again.

Yes, one would be thrown out from each caption. In both captions in your example, 4 and 6 are equally "off" (these will always be the highest and lowest) and so both are thrown out and replaced by a single 5 which is exactly half way between them, thus giving 5,5,5 and 5,5 for a total of 25 rank points.

The general method (the above is an exception case) for choosing which score to throw out is as follows and can easily be done automatically in a spreadsheet:

JudgeX Distance from JudgeY = The absolute value of the difference in scores/ranks given by judges X and Y.

JudgeX Total Distance = Sum JudgeX's Distances from the other judges.

The Judge with the highest Total Distance is thrown out.

Exception: If there is a tie for the highest Total Distance, the highest and lowest scores shall be averaged.

Example1:

Assume the following ranks:

JudgeA = 3

JudgeB = 6

JudgeC = 7

JudgeD = 8

JudgeA Total Distance = abs(3 - 6) + abs(3 - 7) + abs(3 - 8) = 3 + 4 + 5 = 12

JudgeB Total Distance = abs(6 - 3) + abs(6 - 7) + abs(6 - 8) = 3 + 1 + 2 = 6

JudgeC Total Distance = abs(7 - 3) + abs(7 - 6) + abs(7 - 8) = 4 + 1 + 1 = 6

JudgeD Total Distance = abs(8 - 3) + abs(8 - 6) + abs(8 - 7) = 5 + 2 + 1 = 8

JudgeA has the largest distance of 12, and so is thrown out.

Example2 (Extreme Tie):

JudgeA = 2

JudgeB = 2

JudgeC = 8

JudgeD = 8

JudgeA Total Distance = abs(2 - 2) + abs(2 - 8) + abs(2 - 8) = 0 + 6 + 6 = 12

JudgeB Total Distance = abs(2 - 2) + abs(2 - 8) + abs(2 - 8) = 0 + 6 + 6 = 12

JudgeC Total Distance = abs(8 - 2) + abs(8 - 2) + abs(8 - 8) = 6 + 6 + 0 = 12

JudgeD Total Distance = abs(8 - 2) + abs(8 - 2) + abs(8 - 8) = 6 + 6 + 0 = 12

There is a tie for Highest Distance, therefore JudgeA (or B) is averaged with JudgeC (or D) to give resulting scores of 2, 5, 8 = 15 which is the same as if each judge had met half way to begin with at 5, 5, 5, 5.

not bad. my only complaint here is that you are still working with placement values. i would like to think that where the adjustments need to be made is at the actual scoring level before placements are made. at that level is where you see that actual variance in scores. i have not worked on any yet, but i intend to in the days/weeks ahead.

not bad. my only complaint here is that you are still working with placement values. i would like to think that where the adjustments need to be made is at the actual scoring level before placements are made. at that level is where you see that actual variance in scores. i have not worked on any yet, but i intend to in the days/weeks ahead.

This method can be used just as well for scores as well as rankings; it is actually completely data independent and I have even considered methods for applying it on a sub-caption level.

But, leaving it with rankings and merely adding one judge to each caption is probably the path of least resistance for getting it into the already existing system.

Yes, one would be thrown out from each caption. In both captions in your example, 4 and 6 are equally "off" (these will always be the highest and lowest) and so both are thrown out and replaced by a single 5 which is exactly half way between them, thus giving 5,5,5 and 5,5 for a total of 25 rank points.

The general method (the above is an exception case) for choosing which score to throw out is as follows and can easily be done automatically in a spreadsheet:

JudgeX Distance from JudgeY = The absolute value of the difference in scores/ranks given by judges X and Y.

JudgeX Total Distance = Sum JudgeX's Distances from the other judges.

The Judge with the highest Total Distance is thrown out.

Exception: If there is a tie for the highest Total Distance, the highest and lowest scores shall be averaged.

Example1:

Assume the following ranks:

JudgeA = 3

JudgeB = 6

JudgeC = 7

JudgeD = 8

JudgeA Total Distance = abs(3 - 6) + abs(3 - 7) + abs(3 - 8) = 3 + 4 + 5 = 12

JudgeB Total Distance = abs(6 - 3) + abs(6 - 7) + abs(6 - 8) = 3 + 1 + 2 = 6

JudgeC Total Distance = abs(7 - 3) + abs(7 - 6) + abs(7 - 8) = 4 + 1 + 1 = 6

JudgeD Total Distance = abs(8 - 3) + abs(8 - 6) + abs(8 - 7) = 5 + 2 + 1 = 8

JudgeA has the largest distance of 12, and so is thrown out.

Example2 (Extreme Tie):

JudgeA = 2

JudgeB = 2

JudgeC = 8

JudgeD = 8

JudgeA Total Distance = abs(2 - 2) + abs(2 - 8) + abs(2 - 8) = 0 + 6 + 6 = 12

JudgeB Total Distance = abs(2 - 2) + abs(2 - 8) + abs(2 - 8) = 0 + 6 + 6 = 12

JudgeC Total Distance = abs(8 - 2) + abs(8 - 2) + abs(8 - 8) = 6 + 6 + 0 = 12

JudgeD Total Distance = abs(8 - 2) + abs(8 - 2) + abs(8 - 8) = 6 + 6 + 0 = 12

There is a tie for Highest Distance, therefore JudgeA (or B) is averaged with JudgeC (or D) to give resulting scores of 2, 5, 8 = 15 which is the same as if each judge had met half way to begin with at 5, 5, 5, 5.

OUCH i think my brain just came out of my ear! ;) Lol Mad props to you i wouldn't have even thought of the judging system like this...