The 2024 season might be interesting

I’m finding this information interesting. Here are the enrollment maxes for each BOA contest this fall. Of particular interest to me is the 24 band max for Austin. Has this always been the case (I dont think so!)?  And if not, why only 24 bands?  Has parking become that difficult at the KRAC?!  

https://marching.musicforall.org/current-enrollment/

3 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

I’m finding this information interesting. Here are the enrollment maxes for each BOA contest this fall. Of particular interest to me is the 24 band max for Austin. Has this always been the case (I dont think so!)?  And if not, why only 24 bands?  Has parking become that difficult at the KRAC?!  

https://marching.musicforall.org/current-enrollment/

Im surprised the Austin BOA has such a small limit this year, its such a central location for the South Texas powerhouses so Im shocked they did that considering it will strangle out the 1A-2A representation while making the spots pretty annoying to get

3 hours ago, TrenBS said:

Im surprised the Austin BOA has such a small limit this year, its such a central location for the South Texas powerhouses so Im shocked they did that considering it will strangle out the 1A-2A representation while making the spots pretty annoying to get

I definitely don’t understand it. Last season they had 28 bands competing, 25 in 2022, and they had 31 in 2016!  I definitely don’t understand this new cutoff number of 24!  Unless parking is just that bad, which it kinda is. 

51 minutes ago, LeanderMomma said:

I definitely don’t understand it. Last season they had 28 bands competing, 25 in 2022, and they had 31 in 2916!  I definitely don’t understand this new cutoff number of 24!  Unless parking is just that bad, which it kinda is. 

I’m wondering if extreme heat has anything to do with it?  It’s usually incredibly hot at BOA ATX. Makes me wonder if blacking out/blocking off the hottest part of the day on the schedule reduces the amount of performance slots?  Just a thought.  I don’t even understand why the date hasn’t been announced for it yet 🤷🏼‍♀️

2 hours ago, Bdc22 said:

I’m wondering if extreme heat has anything to do with it?  It’s usually incredibly hot at BOA ATX. Makes me wonder if blacking out/blocking off the hottest part of the day on the schedule reduces the amount of performance slots?  Just a thought.  I don’t even understand why the date hasn’t been announced for it yet 🤷🏼‍♀️

I bet you’re absolutely dead on with this explanation. I didn’t even consider that!  That would definitely explain it because last year they had a nice long extended gap between prelims and finals in order to keep everyone off the field for the hottest part of the day. And they cut the performance times down to 12 min.  They definitely couldn’t do this with 30+ bands on the schedule. It was great actually!!  I had a nice long time to go eat an early dinner, cool off and get back to the parking lot and in line for finals way before it got brutally long. 

3 hours ago, LeanderMomma said:

I bet you’re absolutely dead on with this explanation. I didn’t even consider that!  That would definitely explain it because last year they had a nice long extended gap between prelims and finals in order to keep everyone off the field for the hottest part of the day. And they cut the performance times down to 12 min.  They definitely couldn’t do this with 30+ bands on the schedule. It was great actually!!  I had a nice long time to go eat an early dinner, cool off and get back to the parking lot and in line for finals way before it got brutally long. 

Yeah, I bet you that's the thing. Makes sense, but hopefully it doesn't affect the comp in future or this coming season in terms of enrollment/ class representation, but I'd imagine most programs will appreciate this 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, crunchycookie3 said:

I suspect with Joni Perez returning to teaching at MG Johnson, they’ll be an absolute powerhouse within the next year or two. I wonder if they’ll feel like a TWHS/Bluecoats Lite or if they’ll have their own vibe.

MG Johnson has been putting on very extravagant shows for a bit now so I think the design-energy will be similar.