2024 BOA Grand National Championships (Nov. 14-16)

4 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Ladies and gentlemen, the 8 time state champion, Argyle high school, is heading to grand nationals!!! A very high chance of being AA champions, and being now the 6th band so for confirmed going to GN’s! They also released their show for this season: A Pictures worth. Seems very cool, and it’s gonna be great watching these kids in Indy, can’t wait Argyle! 

I AM HAPPY! Is Argyle the first AA for Texas or am I mistaken? I am just so used to seeing AAAs and AAAAs 😭.

26 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

I AM HAPPY! Is Argyle the first AA for Texas or am I mistaken? I am just so used to seeing AAAs and AAAAs 😭.

I do believe so yes. Ik Whitesboro went once but they were class A so I do believe they will be the first AA band from tx, super exciting 

15 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

I do believe so yes. Ik Whitesboro went once but they were class A so I do believe they will be the first AA band from tx, super exciting 

happy for them! I genuinely cannot wait to see them on box5! also, how do boa classifications work? I’ve seen some 6As end up as 3As in boa and 5As as 2A (Argyle & Grapevine), is there a way they calculate?

41 minutes ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

happy for them! I genuinely cannot wait to see them on box5! also, how do boa classifications work? I’ve seen some 6As end up as 3As in boa and 5As as 2A (Argyle & Grapevine), is there a way they calculate?

Its based off size of grades 10-12 

10 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

Do note that we don’t know about Tarpon Springs yet. They normally come on even years so if they come, Argyle would be fighting for 2nd/3rd, bc no AA band is close to TS at the moment 

OH YEAH! I am hoping Argyle pulls through if TS doesn’t show up.

On 3/1/2024 at 10:00 AM, Tubalord11 said:

Do note that we don’t know about Tarpon Springs yet. They normally come on even years so if they come, Argyle would be fighting for 2nd/3rd, bc no AA band is close to TS at the moment 

I really hope Tarpon Springs does go because I would really love to see 2 of the best AA schools in BOA to go up against each other. Would really be something no one would want to miss

Just curious, how exactly do BOA judges calculate scores, and get a score of for example 16.50? I know they have a sheet that is out of 100 points for each box, and adds up to a total of 200 points, but I really just would like to know how it gets down to that 16.50.

2 hours ago, Sideswiperr said:

Just curious, how exactly do BOA judges calculate scores, and get a score of for example 16.50? I know they have a sheet that is out of 100 points for each box, and adds up to a total of 200 points, but I really just would like to know how it gets down to that 16.50.

I’ll do my best to describe the process. So, there are 7 judges total, individual music/marching, ensemble music/marching, 2 music GE and 1 visual GE. Each judge gives each band a score out of 20, an example being that the visual GE judge gave band A a 17.25. Then, for music as a whole, they take the music individual/ensemble judges, and average the score out of 20, that’s the groups overall music score. The same process happens for visual, take the two same judges, and averages the score out of 20. For GE, the average is out of 60. They take the 2 music GE judges, both giving scores out of 20, add the two together, that’s a bands total music GE score, then they add this visual score, and it will be some number between 0-60, as each GE judge can give a max of 20 points, so a total ge score could be 55.8. Getting a 16.5 like you mentioned is just either a score given me a judge in their specific category they are judging, or can be a total music/visual caption average score. And the final score is of course your average music score+average visual score+GE score, which will be any number between 0-100, such as an 88.75. Hope this helps!

im also adding a breakdown of one of last years Boa comps from Hornrank so you can physically see how the scores work: https://www.hornrank.com/2023/09/austin-prelims-sept-23-2023.html?m=1 

6 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

I’ll do my best to describe the process. So, there are 7 judges total, individual music/marching, ensemble music/marching, 2 music GE and 1 visual GE. Each judge gives each band a score out of 20, an example being that the visual GE judge gave band A a 17.25. Then, for music as a whole, they take the music individual/ensemble judges, and average the score out of 20, that’s the groups overall music score. The same process happens for visual, take the two same judges, and averages the score out of 20. For GE, the average is out of 60. They take the 2 music GE judges, both giving scores out of 20, add the two together, that’s a bands total music GE score, then they add this visual score, and it will be some number between 0-60, as each GE judge can give a max of 20 points, so a total ge score could be 55.8. Getting a 16.5 like you mentioned is just either a score given me a judge in their specific category they are judging, or can be a total music/visual caption average score. And the final score is of course your average music score+average visual score+GE score, which will be any number between 0-100, such as an 88.75. Hope this helps!

im also adding a breakdown of one of last years Boa comps from Hornrank so you can physically see how the scores work: https://www.hornrank.com/2023/09/austin-prelims-sept-23-2023.html?m=1 

That sounds much simpler than I previously thought, I appreciate the explanation. Perhaps that’s why I’m not in the press box.

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, crunchycookie3 said:

It looks like Prosper has removed this from their calendar, but I’m not convinced that they won’t be going. We’ll see!

Side note: It’s crazy cool to see groups like Friendswood, Argyle, and Bridgeland try their hand at Grand Nats. In the last 10 seasons, we’ve seen a slew of 12 first-time TX nats finalists:

Round Rock (‘13), Cedar Ridge (‘13), Flower Mound (‘14), Hebron (‘15), Keller (‘15), Cedar Park (‘16), Prosper (‘18), Vandegrift (‘19), Vista Ridge (‘21), Southlake Carroll (‘22), Hendrickson (‘22), Pearland (‘23)

The culture here in TX is crazy good, especially considering that many of these groups are relatively fresh on the scene. Looking ahead, I anticipate this list to grow by a name or two this season. I wonder who will follow after that!

I agree, I’m leaning more towards >1 new Texas finalist this year. Directly comparing Friendswood to some of last year’s finalists has me pretty confident in them, furthermore Argyle did beat fwood soooo