2024 WGI Discussion Thread

On 3/17/2024 at 10:39 PM, Rubisco said:

Ah, it might be another Cypress Woods situation, where they'll still listed on the current entries, but aren't actually attending. That would be a bummer!

I hope not 😭 I love their show a ton and really want to be able to see them do so well in Dayton, do we have any confirmation about their plans yet?

grand oaks currently at 5th in A class which is fab. hoping they can fix the ensemble/DA stuff b/w now and Dayton. should easily be in finals at least. hopefully azle too, sitting just outside of finals in the standings.

Westlake + Bowie at 11th and 13th in open.

one more week of contests + one final update, some drops likely but not anything too drastic. ofc Dayton is an entirely new contest, standings disregarded. mainly just used for scheduling and by fans.

The Mideast and Southeast Power Regionals will be streamed on Flo starting tomorrow! Lots and lots of great winter guards. The upper classes will be especially strong. The Mideast one is practically a World Championships Finals preview in Scholastic World -- something like 9 out of the 10 units have a strong chance at making finals. Only what, two to three weeks left before the end of the season?

1 hour ago, Rubisco said:

The Mideast and Southeast Power Regionals will be streamed on Flo starting tomorrow! Lots and lots of great winter guards. The upper classes will be especially strong. The Mideast one is practically a World Championships Finals preview in Scholastic World -- something like 9 out of the 10 units have a strong chance at making finals. Only what, two to three weeks left before the end of the season?

I do have a good amount of work this weekend but I'' definitely be tunning in for the world class guards in the Mideast both days, may just have it on in the background throughout the day idk yet but I'll definitely be tuning in for the world class guards at Mideast, can't wait to see those Indiana guards, wondering what Avon is gonna score lol 

Wishing Tarpon was going to Southeast, would be nice to see how they score against the other SW guards on the same day, wonder why they aren't...

3 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Wishing Tarpon was going to Southeast, would be nice to see how they score against the other SW guards on the same day, wonder why they aren't...

The Stuart, FL one-day regional Tarpon is attending instead actually has the more competitive SW lineup, with West Broward, Stoneman Douglas, and Warren Central (!) among others. I think the competition could help push Tarpon's score higher than if they went to the Southeast regional. I'm assuming they'll win the regional, which seems likely.

58 minutes ago, Rubisco said:

The Stuart, FL one-day regional Tarpon is attending instead actually has the more competitive SW lineup, with West Broward, Stoneman Douglas, and Warren Central (!) among others. I think the competition could help push Tarpon's score higher than if they went to the Southeast regional. I'm assuming they'll win the regional, which seems likely.

Okay that’s good to hear! 

Those Open class scores at Mideast are definitely lower at the top than I would have guessed. Centerville and Noblesville are only a point higher than they were over a month ago at the Avon regional. I just watched Centerville and saw they gave a very strong performance. Judges might be pumping the brakes a little bit on the inflated scores. (Of course, I say that now, before Avon pops a 96 or something with three weeks to go.)

Tarpon hitting a 90 in prelims is great. There was roughly the same gap between them and Warren Central as there was (over a month ago) at Avon between Fishers/Carmel, which seems like an improvement. They were scoring behind both of those guards, plus TWHS.

Dobyns-Bennett knows how to give me a sucker punch in the feels every year since we got back after covid.  Their shows are super fun, a little kitschy in the best way possible, and incredibly entertaining.  Just everything I love about the activity.  Execution was a little off two weeks ago but they've improved a TON since then.  Show is gonna cook in Dayton.  

1 hour ago, Rubisco said:

Tarpon hitting a 90 in prelims is great. There was roughly the same gap between them and Warren Central as there was (over a month ago) at Avon between Fishers/Carmel, which seems like an improvement. They were scoring behind both of those guards, plus TWHS.

tarpon's score is actually roughly where you'd expect with the 1.5 to 2 point standard increase per week, tho likely will increase a little further in finals.

with 3 weeks left even the best guards shouldn't be scoring much higher than a 93 this weekend. frankly think the scheduling shift this season has confused a lot of judges.

It’s only the first world class guard and Norwin had people on their feet 30 seconds in!! Such a creative show, theme is present throughout and they are also an incredibly talented group, weapon work was incredible!

Some great work from Miamisburg! Some dirt in the rifle work but flag and saber was great and so majestic! Lots of emotional expression through which really helps pull together the story, great stuff all around! 

Lovely show from CG! Small amounts of dirt but their rifle work is SO good! Again very expressive and emotional flag work, soloist were great! 

HOLY COW Northview!! The amount of individual demand is off the charts, sooo many solo moments that they just killed the entire show! Dance-like theme is present throughout the entire show, LOVE the flag work, I mean wow wow wow, they are REALLY good, so much to love about this show, will be a crowd fav at Dayton for sure! 

So ummm I don't have much to say about Avon other than I don't understand how they are this good lol, SPEECHLESS! Freaking phenomenal, love it all, at this point I'm wondering not who's winning SW this year but if any other guard can get 1st from a judge over them, I mean holy cow! 

FISHERS!!! Still probably my favorite show of the year, just love the story and how they portray it so so much! Ending flag work with they blue-sky flags is just so freaking clean, rifle moments were also incredible, they're just so dang good, really excited to finish the season, gonna possibly be fighting for a medal once it's as clean as they can be! 

Avon was spectacular. Super clean, elegant, wonderful staging. They also move significantly better than any guard in the class, and blend that movement so well with the equipment. No, they don't have TWHS' top to bottom equipment talent, but the designers know how to MAXIMIZE what they do have.

Fishers was also stellar. I could easily see them medaling at Dayton. Lovelier than you might expect from a baseball show. I also wasn't expecting them to be this strong after watching their marching show. Such a pleasant surprise!

Yeah, folks, the top of the SW class is where it's at this year.

Kiski Area-WOW! Rifle work was just insane, both in difficulty and how clean it was! Such smart design choices using the rotating props to set up their soloist for some challenging tosses that they nailed! Flag work was also so good, big moments at the end where so tight, these SW groups are blowing my mind!

Nothing but clean work from Bellbrook! Great job of conveying the theme throughout, love how they make different forms of circles to illustrate tires in the car-themed show. Plenty of variation of equipment work, super clean, loved everything about it! 

Carmel could possibly, Maybe be closer to Avon than I might think, bc other than a couple drops, that was flawless! I will admit, it does feel somewhat repetitive, and that the performance is to long at times, I think it's because there really aren't any changes in the pace, but the demand and execution is very high! Love the rifle work in this one a ton, super exposed, plenty of GE, will be interesting to see how they score, but that was fantastic! 

14 minutes ago, LKendrick said:

Bellbrook had the run I thought this show had in it early on.  I think they can make some moves. 

their placement and score at Avon were already pretty twilight zone-ish honestly, at least as an upstairs judge.

id have Fishers over Carmel, upstairs-wise.

I mean Carmel was wonderful, but the performers impress me more than the show itself. I do appreciate the more intellectual approach to design. We don't see it as often. Actually, the most moving parts of the show come from piecing together the theme with what they do with the fabric (river of time) on the floor.

Did Paramount add narration to their show recently, or did I just miss it earlier? Lots of talk about harbingers in the soundtrack now. They must have picked up on the fact that many of us were confused about the theme. 😂

Avon with a 93.7 in prelims, which is massive, although at least a little more reasonable with 3 weeks left to go before they score nearly a 100 at Dayton. 😂

The only big issue I have with the SW results is the 87 to 89 gap between Fishers and Carmel. Much too large. Fishers is right up there with Carmel, and maybe even better.

Besides that, the results look fine. Nice to see Bellbrook improve. They have some fans here. 👍

5 hours ago, Rubisco said:

The only big issue I have with the SW results is the 87 to 89 gap between Fishers and Carmel. Much too large. Fishers is right up there with Carmel, and maybe even better.

arcadia is still trending higher than both of them!! didn't realize they had another contest today, they've been very active in wgi this season.

obvious Gaines/Queen involvement, some stuff ive seen from those two before.

actually hate that i can easily discern the designers like this, i consider it a judgment clouder. as a "sport" it should be more about the athletes on the floor. honestly doesn't always seem like it. last yr's result at the top of SW left a wee bit o' bad taste in my mouth. and im FAR from a tarpon fanboy.

32 minutes ago, packwick said:

arcadia is still trending higher than both of them!! didn't realize they had another contest today, they've been very active in wgi this season.

obvious Gaines/Queen involvement, some stuff ive seen from those two before.

actually hate that i can easily discern the designers like this, i consider it a judgment clouder. as a "sport" it should be more about the athletes on the floor. honestly doesn't always seem like it. last yr's result at the top of SW left a wee bit o' bad taste in my mouth. and im FAR from a tarpon fanboy.

The question of how to balance the "what" with the "how" will always be a thorny one in this activity -- really in any activity where artistry and athleticism collide. There was a similar situation between the University of Minnesota and the Ohio State University in the national jazz dance competition a couple months ago. Everyone was blown away by the insane talent of the UofM performers. (They went viral! Sort of!) As a full ensemble, the UofM performers were doing fouette turns into aerials, landing on one foot and going right back into the fouette turns. It was crazy to see how cleanly they did those difficult steps. But then OSU's choreography was much better written, with clearer expressive and story-telling qualities; it didn't just feel like a routine. Guess who won? 😉