UIL 5a Area B Competition 2023

1 minute ago, Tubalord11 said:

No surprises here! Those kids at Argyle should be proud of themselves. It will be weird with them not being at state, and them ending their super long streak, but still a great year for them! and Emerson and Memorial 8th in 7th is huge! Congrats to all the bands!!

I’m gutted for them. I know they’ve worked so hard for this. I hope they can continue to rise through 5A, they did a phenomenal job!

Just now, clarinetistkai05 said:

I’m gutted for them. I know they’ve worked so hard for this. I hope they can continue to rise through 5A, they did a phenomenal job!

they definitely will! I don't think it will be to long before some of the top Frisco ISD schools end up becoming 6A, which will then allow for them to make state! 

1 minute ago, Tubalord11 said:

No surprises here! Those kids at Argyle should be proud of themselves. It will be weird with them not being at state, and them ending their super long streak, but still a great year for them! and Emerson and Memorial 8th in 7th is huge! Congrats to all the bands!!

Their size is gonna hold them back for a bit. Their old head director kamikazed the program to the ground and lost a lot of members the new one is still picking up the pieces and is doing a great job!!

8 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

they definitely will! I don't think it will be to long before some of the top Frisco ISD schools end up becoming 6A, which will then allow for them to make state! 

I don’t think it’s happening for a bit cuz of fisd things- that’s why we have so many schools. They would rather build another school than send a school to 6A :’c (football things I think but I’m not sure) however I definitely see argyle pushing in eventually. And I think it’s been sorta discussed 

2 minutes ago, Guard23 said:

Unfortunately Frisco doesn’t want that- that’s why we have so many schools. They would rather build another school than send a school to 6A :’c (football things I think but I’m not sure) however I definitely see argyle pushing in eventually.

Argyle is still much closer to 4A and 6A, if the city grows substantially it could happen, otherwise they may sit pretty at 5A

Heres the link to scores https://www.smbc.uiltexas.org/area/results/files/area-23_5A Area B.pdf

Here's my rundown. Wakeland did a fantastic job as they won all 1s and beat Lonestar by 6 points in finals. Wakeland always seems to perform much better during finals, which is amazing. If only they could perform like that during prelims. But I have to admit, Wakeland's show is designed for BOA, which is much better than most shows. On the other hand, if Lonestar had a BOA designed show, they would also be really good. Just imagine if Wakeland and Lonestar combined their talents, it would be a powerhouse! Great job to all the other bands! Wakeland's performance was better than BOA Proser Finals.

2 hours ago, ThatOneRandomGuy said:

Heres the link to scores https://www.smbc.uiltexas.org/area/results/files/area-23_5A Area B.pdf

Here's my rundown. Wakeland did a fantastic job as they won all 1s and beat Lonestar by 6 points in finals. Wakeland always seems to perform much better during finals, which is amazing. If only they could perform like that during prelims. But I have to admit, Wakeland's show is designed for BOA, which is much better than most shows. On the other hand, if Lonestar had a BOA designed show, they would also be really good. Just imagine if Wakeland and Lonestar combined their talents, it would be a powerhouse! Great job to all the other bands! Wakeland's performance was better than BOA Proser Finals.

I would say, if there were 3-4 massive 6A Frisco schools instead of 10+ 5A schools, the rest of the state would ABSOLUTELY need to look over their shoulder. For 2/4 at least, if not better. I don’t know exactly how that would play out, but at least one of them would be a powerhouse and as large a program a Woodlands or Hebron/Flomo. Schools of that size with massive numbers in their bands!

3 minutes ago, Flute goddess said:

Interesting to see McKinney North placing this high. Don't get me wrong I think they have an amazing show, just didn't think it would be perceived this well by UIL judges. Definitely shows how UIL is shifting more towards BOA.

I think that they ended up cleaning up a lot visually, musically they were there, but I'm not super shocked, UIL is much more about being clean, so if they were which obviously seems to have been the case, than they deserved their spot, and I think they will do exceptionally well at state! 

Here are my takes from the competition:

• congrats to all of the bands making the championship in probably the toughest area in 5A, I can definitely see all of these bands making state finals.
  • congrats to McKinney North for proving all of the doubters wrong with the scoring concern with them, 1st time that they have made state since 2015, and is good for it to happen since year since they are more than likely to go back to 6A next year.
  • I feel so sad for Argyle, I know that they really wanted to prove that they are competitive in 5A this year but I still think that their show was amazing this year. They should still be happy about the product that they have put out this year and once their size doesn't become an issue, they should be a force to be reckoned with within the next year or 2, they have certainly proved that a successful 4A band can be great in 5A which should boost Anna's and Celina's confidence with them likely going up to 5A next year.
  • Man, Memorial is getting better and better every year and is trending in the right direction. They only opened up 5 years and this band's rise has been amazing to see, honestly, I can see this band going to state within the next couple of years with their area results improving each year with them jumping from 10th to 7th within one year in such a tough area.
  • I am so freakin happy for Frisco Emerson. Considering that it is their 1st year being a varsity program and making finals and getting 8th place in a super competitive area, this band is on the rise. This is a band that is also trending in the right direction with their school getting bigger every year. Honestly, I could see them making state within a couple of years as well just like Memorial.
  • Wow, Walnut Grove, I am so flippin' happy for that program, especially considering all of the circumstances. 1st of y'all, it is literally their 1st year in existence with them being in build mode, and no, not rebuild mode, but literally BUILD mode since their school didn't even exist last year, I swear, the paint is probably still drying at that campus lol. 2nd of all, let's address the elephant in the room. If anyone didn't hear about it, here's what happened. They were heading out to Kenny Deel Stadium for the Area competition on Saturday, but on the way there, one of their buses got hit by a drunk driver which really damaged the bus. Don't worry, everyone was okay, they were just a little shaken up and nothing major and thankfully no one died. They did get another bus and actually had a choice to opt out of the competition, but they decided to compete still which shows how determined these kids are. After all, they made it to finals in an amazing area and got 9th as a brand new program so congrats to them for showing their toughness.
  • I'm very surprised that Liberty and Independence did not make the finals. Liberty had a great result at SOF with them finishing 2nd to Argyle in finals and tieing with them in prelims. Independence was a big surprise this year too considering the fact that they made finals last year and got a good placement.
  • Poor Melissa. Their realignment growing pains are unfortunately starting to show with them not making finals in their own stadium. Either way, still a really good band and I think that they will get on a good level within the next couple of years.

Either way, congrats to every band that competed

5 hours ago, That Bass 4 Guy Out Of DFW said:

• congrats to all of the bands making the championship in probably the toughest area in 5A, I can definitely see all of these bands making state finals.
  • congrats to McKinney North for proving all of the doubters wrong with the scoring concern with them, 1st time that they have made state since 2015, and is good for it to happen since year since they are more than likely to go back to 6A next year.
  • I feel so sad for Argyle, I know that they really wanted to prove that they are competitive in 5A this year but I still think that their show was amazing this year. They should still be happy about the product that they have put out this year and once their size doesn't become an issue, they should be a force to be reckoned with within the next year or 2, they have certainly proved that a successful 4A band can be great in 5A which should boost Anna's and Celina's confidence with them likely going up to 5A next year.
  • Man, Memorial is getting better and better every year and is trending in the right direction. They only opened up 5 years and this band's rise has been amazing to see, honestly, I can see this band going to state within the next couple of years with their area results improving each year with them jumping from 10th to 7th within one year in such a tough area.
  • I am so freakin happy for Frisco Emerson. Considering that it is their 1st year being a varsity program and making finals and getting 8th place in a super competitive area, this band is on the rise. This is a band that is also trending in the right direction with their school getting bigger every year. Honestly, I could see them making state within a couple of years as well just like Memorial.
  • Wow, Walnut Grove, I am so flippin' happy for that program, especially considering all of the circumstances. 1st of y'all, it is literally their 1st year in existence with them being in build mode, and no, not rebuild mode, but literally BUILD mode since their school didn't even exist last year, I swear, the paint is probably still drying at that campus lol. 2nd of all, let's address the elephant in the room. If anyone didn't hear about it, here's what happened. They were heading out to Kenny Deel Stadium for the Area competition on Saturday, but on the way there, one of their buses got hit by a drunk driver which really damaged the bus. Don't worry, everyone was okay, they were just a little shaken up and nothing major and thankfully no one died. They did get another bus and actually had a choice to opt out of the competition, but they decided to compete still which shows how determined these kids are. After all, they made it to finals in an amazing area and got 9th as a brand new program so congrats to them for showing their toughness.
  • I'm very surprised that Liberty and Independence did not make the finals. Liberty had a great result at SOF with them finishing 2nd to Argyle in finals and tieing with them in prelims. Independence was a big surprise this year too considering the fact that they made finals last year and got a good placement.
  • Poor Melissa. Their realignment growing pains are unfortunately starting to show with them not making finals in their own stadium. Either way, still a really good band and I think that they will get on a good level within the next couple of years.

I heard independence unfortunately had a problem with their sound systems. really sad considering that they were having a really good season. placing pretty high at Melissa (I don't remember the exact placing). Liberty on the other hand was very surprising. I think a lot of predictions had them in finals as they made it last year. They had a great season though and im sure can be considered competition next year. 

On 10/28/2023 at 11:14 PM, LetsGoBrandon said:

Their size is gonna hold them back for a bit. Their old head director kamikazed the program to the ground and lost a lot of members the new one is still picking up the pieces and is doing a great job!!

as an argyle kid that did not happen, the old director was great and so is the current one.

On 10/30/2023 at 3:58 PM, That Bass 4 Guy Out Of DFW said:

Yeah, we wanted state pretty bad but man North and LT are really good. We really thought melissa was gonna make finals and actually end up top 7ish, I feel really bad for those kids.