UIL 5a Area B Competition 2023

18 hours ago, Karma_Savior said:

Do band directors flag videos of their show from being on YouTube, or do people really not post marching band performances? I’ve been dying to watch Lebanon Trail, but can’t find them anywhere! 

I don't know how it is for other schools, but for my school we were told not to post our show (people do anyway) because of copyright laws. I know I asked my band director about how cool it would be to have a phantom of the opera show, and she said we couldn't  because of some copyright things. So mu assumption is that bands have the permission to use it in their shiw but not anything else, including social media. Of course that's still a guess.🤷🏻‍♀️

3 hours ago, MikeKyu said:

So, if they don't want someone copying them:

1. The shouldn't compete

2. Shouldn't perform at halftime

3. Only Practice in a closed facility

4. Perform behind closed curtains at regionals and area, then publicly reveal at State.

This copying thing is parent paranoia who think that marching band like football. Directors aren't going to change a show, a vision, that they have been developing for over 6 months to match some other director"s vision and strengths of the other director's group. Could it potentially happen at the lowest level of band competitions, yes. 

It’s not a “copying” thing, it’s a copyright violation. 

From a parent at Walnut Grove:

A drunk driver hit the woodwinds bus. They were shaken up, but they took all the kids in that bus to be checked out at a doc-in-a-box ER that's right at that intersection, and everyone checked out fine. They gave the kids the option of coming to UIL or calling it a day, and they wanted to come. They are hoping to make it here in time to warm up. So scary!!!

13 hours ago, Dave609 said:

So from everything I have learned over the past year, Most band programs are under a contract that doesn't allow footage of their show to be released to the public either because of the music used or because of the visuals within the show. Some programs don't allow footage because they don't want the potential of someone else copying them in some way. So it's mainly because of Copyright and contracts, but does sometime include other reasons. Hope this helps!

It’s more so copyright of the music rather than people being afraid of visuals being copied

Also directors don’t want judges to potentially see their band before the contest, which would “poison the jury” as they already have some bias toward or against whatever band they may see online

Just now, ReveriesOp24 said:

It’s more so copyright of the music rather than people being afraid of visuals being copied

Also directors don’t want judges to potentially see their band before the contest, which would “poison the jury” as they already have some bias toward or against whatever band they may see online

I completely forgot about the Judges XD. It is mainly due to copyright though, but I know there are plenty of other reasons.