UIL 5A Area G 2023

ppianissimo

• 2 weeks later...

Based on previous local competition results and shows that I have seen here are my thoughts.

Area G 5A Champions: Roma

Runner-Up: Pioneer

Bronze Medalist Contenders: Sharyland, Pace, Rio Grande City, Lopez

Finalist Locks: PSJA North, Juarez Lincoln, Weslaco East

It will be very interesting who advances to state. There are only 2-3 bands that I would consider an absolute Lock to make the SMBC.

I love to see the level of RGV bands increasing, future is bright! Should be an amazing and dramatic comp!

I’ve heard Roma and Pioneer have been GRINDING the past couple weeks. Both programs have some really high goals for the year and have been tweaking and adding hoping to squeeze everything out of their shows to give themselves the chance to spend the extra night in SA. 

Some compelling storylines:

Can a surging Pioneer catch the Roma giant?

I agree with the four way race to round out the podium! Definitely a tight one!

Will JL, Pace or WE stamp their first ticket to the Dome?

Looking forward to seeing some amazing shows Saturday!

1 hour ago, ppianissimo said:

The following are the 12 finalists, in performance order, for the UIL 5A Area G Marching Contest Finals:

8:30 PM: Brownsville Lopez HS

8:45 PM: PSJA Southwest Early College HS

9:00 PM: Harlingen South HS

9:15: Sharyland HS

9:30 PM: PSJA North HS

9:45 PM: Rio Grande City HS

10:00 PM: Pioneer HS

10:15 PM: Roma HS

10:30 PM: Brownsville Veterans Memorial HS 

10:45 PM: PSJA Memorial HS 

11:00 PM: Juarez Lincoln HS

11:15 PM: Brownsville Pace Early College HS

Full Band Retreat: ~12:00 AM

Announcements: ~12:15 AM

woah, those are some insane times!

12 hours ago, ppianissimo said:

After a long contest, here are the final results of the evening! Congratulations!! 💓

https://www.smbc.uiltexas.org/area/results/files/area-23_5A Area G.pdf

UIL 5A Area G Finals.png

Congrats to Roma on the win, and to all our state qualifiers! I love how we have 3 PSJA school's back-to-back-to-back in the rankings, would have been super cool if that was 4th-6th, maybe in the future. Congratulations to all our finalist, and good luck to the top 6 at state! 

1 hour ago, Tubalord11 said:

Congrats to Roma on the win, and to all our state qualifiers! I love how we have 3 PSJA school's back-to-back-to-back in the rankings, would have been super cool if that was 4th-6th, maybe in the future. Congratulations to all our finalist, and good luck to the top 6 at state! 

I’m so happy PSJA North made it to state! They have had some of the most fun shows I’ve seen in the Area!

3 hours ago, DeadMascot said:

I’m so happy PSJA North made it to state! They have had some of the most fun shows I’ve seen in the Area!

The tri cities have to be on cloud 9.  First PSJA High gets a big send off to State then their other schools qualify for finals. So awesome for North qualifies for State. And it’s appropriate! PSJA is the OG! Then North came around in 93, followed by Memorial and Southwest. How freaking cool for them.