UIL Area D 6A

ReveriesOp24

But fr tho finals for this area are gonna be crazy. 

last year it was Johnson, Reagan, Cedar Ridge, Round Rock, Dripping Springs, Bowie, Westwood, McNeil, Churchill, and Weiss. This year, Johnson isn’t as great as they used to be and, Churchill and McNeil are significantly better than years past. If dripping springs made state last year but got beat by McNeil, who got beat by Churchill, could Churchill make state this year? Or is this  area still way to competitive to even think that. 

Looks like 8 advance from region 12. 

School/City Reg Director(s) 1st or NV GP Conf 1 2 3 F

Churchill HS
San Antonio
12 Amanda Stevenson Varsity  AAAAAA 1 1 1 1
  Judges - Region 12 5A-6A Marching :     1) John Dominguez
2) Roland Sandoval
3) Keith Witt
Claudia Taylor Johnson HS
San Antonio
12 Robert Lozano
Julia Donnel, Bethany Smith, Gordon Handte
Varsity  AAAAAA 1 1 1 1
2) Roland Sandoval
3) Keith Witt

Legacy of Educational Excellence HS
San Antonio
12 Alex Yanez
Vicky Watson, Elijah Alonzo
Varsity  AAAAAA 1 1 1 1
2) Roland Sandoval
3) Keith Witt

Madison HS
San Antonio
12 Wesley Perkins
Michael Reynolds, Jaime Ramos
Varsity  AAAAAA 1 1 1 1
2) Roland Sandoval
3) Keith Witt
New Braunfels HS
New Braunfels
12 David Eckert
Kyle Day, Felicia Garza, Analisa Gonzalez, Kate Williams
Varsity  AAAAAA 1 1 1 1
2) Roland Sandoval
3) Keith Witt

Reagan HS
San Antonio
12 Greg White
Tyler Estrada Simon, Katie Fehr, Ray Ulibarri, Kim Booher, and Alexis Miller
Varsity  AAAAAA 1 1 1 1
2) Roland Sandoval
3) Keith Witt
Roosevelt HS
San Antonio
12 Robert Snyder
Patrick Bowman, George Salinas, Lilian Ngu
Varsity  AAAAAA 1 1 1 1
2) Roland Sandoval
3) Keith Witt
San Marcos High School
San Marcos
12 Peyton Grover
Shelbi Tippie, Damon Knight, Rylee McMullen
Varsity  AAAAAA 1 1 1 1
2) Roland Sandoval
3) Keith Witt

I was stunned by McNeil they have one of my favorite shows this year! This Area will be competitive and that's exciting.

Ronald Reagan is the favorite here they are performing at a level only rivaled by a few bands in the state. 

Cedar Ridge they are still a little messy but they have improved so much from BOA austin. I would be shocked if they are not second at this contest. 

Round Rock they are clean and in my opinion the show that is the most UIL designed show of the bunch. They are in the running for a medal especially since CTJ is not performing strongly this year. 

In my opinion if CTJ does take one of the 5 spots that leaves room for westwood and McNeil to fight for the final slot. However, anything can happen. 

5 minutes ago, Band2021 said:

I was stunned by McNeil they have one of my favorite shows this year! This Area will be competitive and that's exciting.

Ronald Reagan is the favorite here they are performing at a level only rivaled by a few bands in the state. 

Cedar Ridge they are still a little messy but they have improved so much from BOA austin. I would be shocked if they are not second at this contest. 

Round Rock they are clean and in my opinion the show that is the most UIL designed show of the bunch. They are in the running for a medal especially since CTJ is not performing strongly this year. 

In my opinion if CTJ does take one of the 5 spots that leaves room for westwood and McNeil to fight for the final slot. However, anything can happen. 

5 minutes ago, Band2021 said:

Don’t forget about Churchill!!! They beat McNeil! Churchill is definitely right up there with Westwood and McNeil for that finals spot. 

imma put my kinda spicy predictions since we are 5 days away

1.reagan 

2.round rock

3.cedar ridge 

4.dripping springs 

5.ctj/westwood

6.ctj/westwood

7.mcneil

8.bowie

9.johnson

10.church hill 

reagan is a lock for first obviously so no question about that

round rock has been doing very well this season and they have improved by a lot since austin but i could see cedar ridge getting above them but i doubt it

i have drip that high since they know how to uil and they usually do very well in uil with their scoring so i put them in 4th since they have improved so fast this season

5th and 6th i feel could be either westwood or ctj since both of them are pretty good but ctj is having a kinda off year so idk about them and westwood is never really a big uil school 

i have mcneil in 7th which might be a bit if a shock since they did pretty well at tmc but again scoring is different and that there show is a little visually confusing at some points but you never know how they will do

bowie is in 8th but i could see them moving up to like 6th or 7th depending on their run

9th is johnson since it just is not as strong as a show for them as it has been in the past

10th is churchhill and even though they did beat mcneil at vista, that was also a couple weeks ago so things change around.

3 hours ago, urmom292 said:

1.reagan 

2.round rock

3.cedar ridge 

4.dripping springs 

5.ctj/westwood

6.ctj/westwood

7.mcneil

8.bowie

9.johnson

10.church hill 

round rock has been doing very well this season and they have improved by a lot since austin but i could see cedar ridge getting above them but i doubt it

i have drip that high since they know how to uil and they usually do very well in uil with their scoring so i put them in 4th since they have improved so fast this season

5th and 6th i feel could be either westwood or ctj since both of them are pretty good but ctj is having a kinda off year so idk about them and westwood is never really a big uil school 

i have mcneil in 7th which might be a bit if a shock since they did pretty well at tmc but again scoring is different and that there show is a little visually confusing at some points but you never know how they will do

bowie is in 8th but i could see them moving up to like 6th or 7th depending on their run

9th is johnson since it just is not as strong as a show for them as it has been in the past

10th is churchhill and even though they did beat mcneil at vista, that was also a couple weeks ago so things change around.

I agree with your top 3. Everything is not set in stone. In my opinion, literally everybody is sleeping on Churchill. Just like McNeil has made changes, Churchill has made changes too. I genuinely think Churchill and McNeil are state contenders and people need to realize that. Also, if there are 6 state spots, I think that it almost guarantees that one of those bands makes state.  

3 hours ago, stix said:

Do we know how many have qualified for Area D so far?   Last year I think it was 29 total, and since they take 1 to state for each 5 that qualify for area, five went to state last year. There is always the chance 30 could qualify allowing for 6 to go to state. 

The maximum at Area D will be 28 schools......meaning only 5 will advance.

On 10/14/2023 at 4:13 PM, Bandmanio said:

Copperas Cove was 12th last year and is much improved this year with the help of Zack Travis and staff. Midway was 17th last year at Area. 

Surprisingly enough Copperas Cove seems to be on the up and up, it'll be very difficult for them to final and I sadly doubt that they will but I do believe that they can get close.

On 10/16/2023 at 5:37 PM, Bandmanio said:

There are only 28 total 6A bands in Regions 8, 12, 18, 26. I'm assuming they will all get a 1st division at Region (already happened at Regions 8 & 12)

In region 18, five 6A schools got a 1 (Bowie, Austin High, Anderson, Dripping Springs and Hays Johnson).  Del Valle and Akins got a 2.

On 10/16/2023 at 10:08 AM, urmom292 said:

1.reagan 

2.round rock

3.cedar ridge 

4.dripping springs 

5.ctj/westwood

6.ctj/westwood

7.mcneil

8.bowie

9.johnson

10.church hill 

I agree with your top 3. Everything is not set in stone. In my opinion, literally everybody is sleeping on Churchill. Just like McNeil has made changes, Churchill has made changes too. I genuinely think Churchill and McNeil are state contenders and people need to realize that. Also, if there are 6 state spots, I think that it almost guarantees that one of those bands makes state.  

adding my predictions. 

1. Reagan 

2.Cedar Ridge 

3.Round Rock

4.CTJ

5. Churchill

6. McNeil

7. Dripping Springs 

8. Westwood

9. Bowie 

10. MG Johnson

I know these seem far fetched after previous seasons but I really think this is what Area could look like. 

16 minutes ago, TenerSacs said:

adding my predictions. 

1. Reagan 

2.Cedar Ridge 

3.Round Rock

4.CTJ

5. Churchill

6. McNeil

7. Dripping Springs 

8. Westwood

9. Bowie 

10. MG Johnson

I know these seem far fetched after previous seasons but I really think this is what Area could look like. 

Only five will advance to state from Area D. This competition *could* get bloody because of UIL shenanigans, but it is hard for me to see the state qualifiers not being Reagan, Cedar Ridge, Round Rock, Westwood, and CTJ. Dripping Springs and Bowie could certainly break in, but it is hard for me to see McNeil, MG Johnson, or Churchill advancing to state (although it is within the realm of possibility). 

1 hour ago, Clark_DM_2009 said:

Only five will advance to state from Area D. This competition *could* get bloody because of UIL shenanigans, but it is hard for me to see the state qualifiers not being Reagan, Cedar Ridge, Round Rock, Westwood, and CTJ. Dripping Springs and Bowie could certainly break in, but it is hard for me to see McNeil, MG Johnson, or Churchill advancing to state (although it is within the realm of possibility). 

Yeah I agree with this. I'll put specific predictions below, but I feel like Regan, Ridge and Round Rock are 100% in. CTJ should still be in, just may not be as high as past years. For the last spot, I see it between Drippings Springs or Westwood, and right now leaning a little more towards DS, but I haven't see Wood since Austin, so I wouldn't be surprised if they take it as they have an incredible show this year. Here's my final predictions: 

1st. Ronald Regan 

2nd. Cedar Ridge 

3rd. Round Rock/CTJ 

4th. CTJ/ Round Rock 

5th. Dripping Springs/Westwood 

6th. Westwood/Dripping Springs 

7th. McNeil 

8th. James Bowie 

9th. Winston Churchill 

10th. M.G. Johnson