Area G Marching Contest 2023

DeadMascot

Just now, vbassoon said:

i want to agree, but it's only three schools this time

i want to agree, but it's only three schools this time. i know san benito wants to reach the point that they've been at before.  weslaco and psja have risen to recent success. hanna probably has the most well rounded music program in south texas. the laredo bands kind of caught fire when the valley was on a downswing, but now it really feels like the field has evened out. not a knock on anyone (especially cause i was part of that fire lol) just trying to be objective as possible. 

On 8/22/2023 at 3:41 PM, DeadMascot said:

Any extremely early predictions? Might be a whole different ball game now that it’s in Laredo

1. Hanna

2. Alexander

3. United

4. Weslaco

5. PSJA

6. Harlingen

7. Mission

8. San Benito

9. Los Fresnos

10. Edinburg North

finals draws might make the difference here

Edited by vbassoon

16 hours ago, DeadMascot said:

I saw a video of Alexander’s band and Hanna’s and so far, Hanna just looks and sounds cleaner and stronger… that being said, it is early in the season and Alexander always puts on a good show

i can definitely see Hanna being more UIL oriented, and JBA more BOA. not bc they chose to be, but just seems to be the nature of their shows. that being said i take back my first draft of predictions, and agree Hanna will probably win it all. 

28 minutes ago, vbassoon said:

i can definitely see Hanna being more UIL oriented, and JBA more BOA. not bc they chose to be, but just seems to be the nature of their shows. that being said i take back my first draft of predictions, and agree Hanna will probably win it all. 

How many bands go to finals this year?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

this is my prediction for prelims, I tried my best looking for all of these shows and I watched the most recent of them. This prediction is assuming that everyone gets 1s at their evaluations. One thing I will say is that it will be a difficult task to judge some of these bands! The skill and level that these bands are at this early makes me really excited for the season. Let me know what you guys think!!!

1. Alexander

2. Hanna

3. PSJA

4. United (Haven’t Seen)

5. Edinburg North

6. Weslaco (Haven’t Seen)

7. Harlingen (Haven’t Seen)

8. Los Fresnos

9. Edinburg

10. Mission 

———————

11. La Joya

12. Rivera

13. San Benito

14. Economedes

15. LBJ

16. United South

On 8/22/2023 at 3:37 PM, DeadMascot said:

Is it just me or has there been a lack of South Texas Band discussion?

I do strongly agree that there is a lack of South Texas band discussion, I feel as if it has always been this way, and as someone else said they haven’t reached that level of “relevancy” but as someone who typically discusses more about the bigger 6A Bands like Hebron, Vandegrift, Woodlands, Bridgeland, Seven lakes, Reagan, and CTJ. I’m going to make an effort to start looking at these smaller programs, and definitely checking out these areas.