Area G Marching Contest 2023

DeadMascot

This has to be the most competitive area g ever, all of the shows here are awesome and i can have an argument for each band making finals. although it's hard to rank all of them, i'll try my best

1 United

2 Alexander

3 PSJA

4 Hanna

5 San Benito

6 Weslaco

7 Edinburg

8 Harlingen

9 Edinburg North

10 Laredo LBJ

11 Rivera

12 Los Fresnos

13 Mission

14 La Joya

15 Laredo United South

I have yet to see Rivera, Los Fresnos, Edinburg North, Mission, La Joya, and Laredo United South, I am basing those rankings from past competitions this year (that i've seen the results to).

2 hours ago, southtexasneedsmorerecogni said:

I want to add that 3,4,5,6 are all interchangeable, they all have shots at making it to state.

I saw Region 28.  Hanna was clearly way beyond everyone else. Show design, difficulty of the music, demand on the performer - all a notch above and all executed really well. And...OMG the way they played.  I was really expecting Weslaco or San Benny to be the class act after seeing Hanna struggle early in the season. 

I predict United, Hanna, Alexander as the three advancing.  Those Laredo schools are solid.

I want to say very quickly, this may sound at times like I am hating on AHS at times.  I swear, that is not the intent of this post.  While I am a former band member there, I have attempted to look at the season through a “non-partisan” lens.  If anybody would like to correct me on any incorrect statements in this post, feel free to do so.  The goal of this post is just to state my opinions going in to this week’s area contest.

Okay this is coming from a former Laredo Alexander Band bass drum (quit after sophomore year, but I still practice music quite often).  I’ve attended all of the competitions that both AHS and United have been to, and I have to say I’m not too sure how AHS is scoring so well.  When it comes to percussion scores, I’m almost 100% sure that they are not going to perform well UNLESS their pit CARRIES the score.  Currently, their batter percussion is a lot of freshmen, and you can tell.  Furthermore, when it comes to music performance throughout the whole band, their music, while hard (I honestly see them placing first in music composition) is very unbalanced and sometimes just straight up bad.  I’ve heard that they have cut a lot of members and that had caused the balance of the band to be all over the place, but that aside, I really don’t like their music as it is currently being performed compared to their previous shows (more specifically “Are We Alone?”).  Also, the AHS electronics, as always, are VERY shaky on whether or not they will work, and often times, soloist microphones and/or front ensemble mics and sound effects just won’t work at all.  I am aware that their sound system is confusing and difficult to get running, but its little stuff like that that takes me, personally, completely out of a show.  I will say that VISUALLY, I think Alexander is unmatched in South Texas.  Their visual performance ever since 2021 has always been very solid, and I definitely see them performing well there, but I honestly think their music scores will drag them down a little bit.

As for United, I have really enjoyed the way their show has developed throughout this year.  I attended BOA McAllen this year, and out of all of the percussion sections, United is (in my mind) undoubtedly the best.  I also attended the UISD Marching Festival where I got to see Homer Hanna for the first time, but even then, I would probably say that United just edges them out (albeit, Hanna is very solid).  As for the band as a whole, United DESTROYS when it comes to music.  Their soloists are strong, their brass section, while not perfect, is much more balanced that Alexander, and their woodwinds are very very solid.  Their electronics work wonderfully and really help in immersing you into the show.  One thing to be said is that their front ensemble is sometimes unstable tempo-wise, but even then, I think they’re able to hold their own for the most part.  Visually, I will be honest, they are not the cleanest, but I have definitely seen worse.

As for Hanna, I’ve only seen their show once.  I have no comments for them visually as I don’t remember their show too well; however, musically, I must say they are probably the best in South Texas other than Roma.  I’m not a huge fan of their (Hanna’s) theme, but its whatever.

All in all, I have my finalists predictions as such:

*I have seen all of the shows

1. Homer Hanna HS

2. United HS

3. JBA HS

4. Weslaco HS

5. Edinburg North HS

6. PSJA ECHS

7. Harlingen HS

8. Mission HS

9. Los Fresnos HS

10. LBJ HS

*note: LBJ (Johnson) HS has had an incredible amount of improvement within the past year, and if you haven’t seen their show yet, I would truly recommend viewing it.  I’m not too sure if it’s just shock at how good they’ve gotten that’s giving me some hope that they make finals, but as of now, I truly believe that they have a chance at doing it.

All in all, this 6A Area G contest will be interesting.  I’m not 100% sure about how the top five will unfold, but I am hoping that everyone competing has a good time and is happy with the show(s) that they put on the field.

On 8/26/2023 at 7:04 PM, DeadMascot said:

I saw a video of Alexander’s band and Hanna’s and so far, Hanna just looks and sounds cleaner and stronger… that being said, it is early in the season and Alexander always puts on a good show

While I agree with you on this, I think they aren’t like a mile-wide spread between each other (so to speak).  I think if AHS’ visual dominates (I don’t doubt it will) there is a possibility they take Hanna again.

2 minutes ago, Diego said:

Fellas, do ya'll believe that if a band goes earlier at area, say the first 5, they have any "disadvantage" as to bands that go later /last? Or is this really negligible? My friend believes it does and I do not. 

In my opinion it will totally depend on the weather that morning. Mornings tend to be colder making instruments for flat and obvious other reasons. While afternoon slots can normally be pretty alright weather wise.(as of right now) However morning times as soon as the season starts is better. In terms of judging the time slots shouldn't really matter.

I think the fact that there’s only 15 make the numbers more manageable. Plus, due to program history judges will be more on the side of the “better” groups having more of that expectation before they start Vs a group that traditionally hasn’t been a contender. Doesn’t mean a black horse can’t come in and slug it out. Surprises are also a great thing for judges

I just wanna appreciate how small United is while still playing at a high level. I believe this is the smallest United’s band has ever been since the 2000’s (with only 90 ww’s and brass). It’s also very surprising considering the fact that United is one of the biggest high schools in Texas. I’m sure there’s bands that are smaller from 6a area g, but I’ve always known United for being big, and the fact that they were able to adapt so well from this drop in students is impressive!

1 hour ago, vandi said:

In my opinion it will totally depend on the weather that morning. Mornings tend to be colder making instruments for flat and obvious other reasons. While afternoon slots can normally be pretty alright weather wise.(as of right now) However morning times as soon as the season starts is better. In terms of judging the time slots shouldn't really matter.

I mean if we are talking about the weather this Saturday, it's looking like the weather should be relatively the same throughout prelims. (80s and 90s).  Temp. might fluctuate more in finals (70s and 60s).

11 minutes ago, SpudMuffin said:

It's almost contest day!   This thread has been very quiet.  Any discussion?? 

Who has the best GE show?

Who has the hardest show?

Who has the best music selections?

Which band plays the best?

Which band has the best drumline?

Any idea who the judges will be?

Let's get some ideas going!

I think the hardest show is most likely Alexander if I have to be honest. In fact, I think the main reason they aren’t dominating as much is because their show is a lot harder which is resulting in it to be dirtier. In particular, their woodwind runs/features just aren’t as clean, but they are a lot more difficult.

The best music selections in my opinion has to go to United. They are playing Rite of Spring, Red Caped Tango(underrated piece imo) and Lacrimosa. In my opinion Lacrimosa is one of the best pieces to play in marching band and they play it so well. They really match the style of the pieces very well and that woodwind run at the end is killer! I’ve never been a fan of having pop songs or modern songs in marching band, so i’ve always been a fan of pieces like those.

33 minutes ago, SpudMuffin said:

It's almost contest day!   This thread has been very quiet.  Any discussion?? 

Who has the best GE show?

Who has the hardest show?

Who has the best music selections?

Which band plays the best?

Which band has the best drumline?

Any idea who the judges will be?

Let's get some ideas going!

Hanna, Hanna, Hanna, Hanna, Hanna, Hanna 

In my opinion, the 6th and 7th spots for finals are between Edinburg, Edinburg North, Harlingen, Los Fresnos, and San Benito. This past week of cleaning will have made the difference between these bands and will show in area. I honestly believe in Edinburg and Harlingen to make those spots, but if there is an "upset" that'll happen at area I see Los Fresnos doing well. Can't wait for Saturday and see which bands will demand to be in finals. 

Who has the best GE show? JBA

Who has the hardest show? JBA

Who has the best music selections? This one is a tough one because I personally feel it comes down more to the arrangements of the pieces more than the actual selections themselves. 

Which band plays the best? Hanna

Which band has the best drumline? Hanna