UIL 5A Area C 2023

I personally think that area c 5A is the least competitive area in 5A because there's a lot of showstyle marching bands in that area and most of them either not qualify for area or opt out of area after Region. They only had 9 bands attend, but must've had between 14 to 19 bands qualify since 7 of them made Finals last year.  I agree with you that Forney is a lock for state, with Poteet not far from it, and for the last spot it can go to pretty much anyone.

17 hours ago, BandNerd07 said:

I personally think that area c 5A is the least competitive area in 5A because there's a lot of showstyle marching bands in that area and most of them either not qualify for area or opt out of area after Region. They only had 9 bands attend, but must've had between 14 to 19 bands qualify since 7 of them made Finals last year.  I agree with you that Forney is a lock for state, with Poteet not far from it, and for the last spot it can go to pretty much anyone.

I really hope this area changes next cycle. Just doesn't really seem fair that Area B is as tough as it is. 

Also looking like Forney would probably be 6A next time that comes around since North Forney moved up.

20 minutes ago, DallasFan said:

I really hope this area changes next cycle. Just doesn't really seem fair that Area B is as tough as it is. 

Also looking like Forney would probably be 6A next time that comes around since North Forney moved up.

I hope so too. There are so too many bands in area B that would easily make it here and are on that top of the middle tier that don’t. Forney is really the only super strong program here, and if they become 6A soon, this area will literally be a joke in terms of depth. Not that the other programs here are bad, but none are even kind of comparable to any of the finalist in area B. They need to move some of the Area B bands here. 

9 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

I hope so too. There are so too many bands in area B that would easily make it here and are on that top of the middle tier that don’t. Forney is really the only super strong program here, and if they become 6A soon, this area will literally be a joke in terms of depth. Not that the other programs here are bad, but none are even kind of comparable to any of the finalist in area B. They need to move some of the Area B bands here. 

I feel that once Forney moves up, there should be a change to this area to help with the contest some.

1 minute ago, BandNerd07 said:

I feel like they could move Region 25 to Area C which would give them bands like Lovejoy, Princeton, Melissa, and Sherman. That would make some pretty decent competition in that area for a change.

That’s what I hope they do. As a Lovejoy Alumn, this program is at the level of a state participation, but due to the difficulty of Area B, we never made it, but all the other bands in area B or so good, and only 4 too state makes it even more difficult to make it 

On 7/28/2023 at 12:02 AM, BandNerd07 said:

To add on to that, a lot of these bands also have to travel a long distance for this area. Bands like Hallsville, Longview, Lufkin, Nacogdoches, and Whitehouse come from east Texas and have to drive like 2-3 hours and therefore, did not attend. But some bands that are far away like Marshall, Mt. Pleasant, Pine Tree, and Texas didn't really let this affect them from going. It really just depends on what the bands decide to do.

29 minutes ago, BandNerd07 said:

To add on to that, a lot of these bands also have to travel a long distance for this area. Bands like Hallsville, Longview, Lufkin, Nacogdoches, and Whitehouse come from east Texas and have to drive like 2-3 hours and therefore, did not attend. But some bands that are far away like Marshall, Mt. Pleasant, Pine Tree, and Texas didn't really let this affect them from going. It really just depends on what the bands decide to do.

The first 5 bands you mentioned are also all military and if it's the same as Open Class, the Military State Championships will be held every year for all conferences. So, you won't see them present at any Area Contests no more. They will still be counted for the amount of Area Finalists, and State Advancement spots. 

1 hour ago, J-Mike16 said:

The first 5 bands you mentioned are also all military and if it's the same as Open Class, the Military State Championships will be held every year for all conferences. So, you won't see them present at any Area Contests no more. They will still be counted for the amount of Area Finalists, and State Advancement spots. 

Oh, okay. Tbh I completely forgot about the military state championships because there were no state contest for the 5A/6A bands last year. Anyway, good to know.

• 2 months later...
55 minutes ago, BandNerd07 said:

Okay, so I know that this area isn't that deep as the other areas, but here's my top three and going to state:

Forney

North Mesquite 

Poteet

Idk about Poteet. They are good, but seeing how Pine tree is doing, I wouldn’t count them out, but Poteet always seems to do well here, but I wouldn’t say it’s guaranteed they make it, seems like all the bands here are really stepping it up! 

After i saw north mesquite and forney i think north mesquite doesnt have a chance agaisnt really great bands like poteet forney and texas they have really strong shows this year. today north mesquite performance and it wasnt that bad but they didnt make finals and all the other bands made finals who knows?

6 hours ago, BostonVibe said:

After i saw north mesquite and forney i think north mesquite doesnt have a chance agaisnt really great bands like poteet forney and texas they have really strong shows this year. today north mesquite performance and it wasnt that bad but they didnt make finals and all the other bands made finals who knows?

I agree but NM is not nothing to play with they made a higher score than poteet and west and forney at Don Hanna last week so I feel like you shouldn’t put them down. They have the better solo and the better show them but we will see in two weeks at Area

14 hours ago, Tubalord11 said:

Idk about Poteet. They are good, but seeing how Pine tree is doing, I wouldn’t count them out, but Poteet always seems to do well here, but I wouldn’t say it’s guaranteed they make it, seems like all the bands here are really stepping it up! 

Poteet got 28th in Prosper, but their show is better compared to past shows (2020-now). I think their show is more UIL based, so I think they’ll do wonderful here.

9 hours ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

Poteet got 28th in Prosper, but their show is better compared to past shows (2020-now). I think their show is more UIL based, so I think they’ll do wonderful here.

yeah, I agree, but IDK, that 28th just isn't sitting well with me. I don't think they are safely in second, or even a state qualifier IMO, I would have expected those overall music and visual scores to be higher, and seeing how Pine Tree and North mesquite have been doing, they are gonna really need to clean up. Forney will obviously win and probably get 1st from all judges, but the other 2 spots are up for grabs by many bands, Poteet being one of them, but Forney is my only band that is a lock for state 

30 minutes ago, Tubalord11 said:

yeah, I agree, but IDK, that 28th just isn't sitting well with me. I don't think they are safely in second, or even a state qualifier IMO, I would have expected those overall music and visual scores to be higher, and seeing how Pine Tree and North mesquite have been doing, they are gonna really need to clean up. Forney will obviously win and probably get 1st from all judges, but the other 2 spots are up for grabs by many bands, Poteet being one of them, but Forney is my only band that is a lock for state 

I just looked at poteet’s prosper score again and I agree. I hope they work out the show before region or even Area. They need to really consistently clean up the show.

13 hours ago, geievekeekd said:

I agree but NM is not nothing to play with they made a higher score than poteet and west and forney at Don Hanna last week so I feel like you shouldn’t put them down. They have the better solo and the better show them but we will see in two weeks at Area

I go to Forney, and we didn’t even attend that comp, so idk what you’re saying. Last week, we attended BOA Dallas and didn’t make finals, but still walked away with a caption and 3rd place in class 3A (boa classification is different). Poteet attended the same comp (BOA Prosper) Forney did this week. Poteet walked away with 28th versus us making finals and walking away with 9th in both prelims and finals. 

Don Hanna is an easier competition compared to BOA, so it’s not easy to judge the two schools when they are so different.

12 hours ago, clarinetistkai05 said:

I go to Forney, and we didn’t even attend that comp, so idk what you’re saying. Last week, we attended BOA Dallas and didn’t make finals, but still walked away with a caption and 3rd place in class 3A (boa classification is different). Poteet attended the same comp (BOA Prosper) Forney did this week. Poteet walked away with 28th versus us making finals and walking away with 9th in both prelims and finals. 

Don Hanna is an easier competition compared to BOA, so it’s not easy to judge the two schools when they are so different.

Thank you. There’s no way to compare how NM did against Poteet and Forney when all 3 schools attended entirely different competitions with entirely different judges.