UIL 6A Area B 2023

14 minutes ago, BANDNERD53 said:

south grand prairie. i know there a small band so i’m not expecting many “good things

I would disagree! I was charmed by their playful theme this year (that 8-bit drill set was unique and really cool!) I thought they demonstrated a powerful sound for such a relatively small group. I was taken aback by how potent the brass sounded in that hit at the beginning of the closer. The woodwinds were splendid at playing strongly and allowed the audience to enjoy the quality of their finger dexterity. I thought visually the props and drill formations portrayed their theme nicely and they executed their marching well enough to allow the effect to shine through  

9 minutes ago, BazoD said:

I love that you have something positive to say about all the bands. Have your predictions changed? 

Whew baby the more bands that come the harder it is to get these predictions right😩 I actually didn’t post any yet. I have an apple note with my prelims predictions. Also I’m happy to hear you like my analyses!

26 minutes ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Whew baby the more bands that come the harder it is to get these predictions right😩 I actually didn’t post any yet. I have an apple note with my prelims predictions. Also I’m happy to hear you like my analyses!

Much appreciated today with no live stream!   You are the reporter on the scene!

Coppell is honestly such a judge pandering show and tbh they peaked after 2021. Sure, they're loud but that double tongue feature is more dirty than my toilet after taco bell and their players and music overall are kinda mid. LD Bell Def running away with this one, Free thinkers choose LD Bell fore medals 

4 minutes ago, DFWSpinz said:

What about Mansfield?

They did so well at producing a deep, dark sound that really matched their theme. I definitely think they’ve improved from last year. Awesome demonstration of attention to detail to the quality of their sound. I really stunned me with how potent their attacks were in the brass

24 minutes ago, Starwar said:

This has gotta be a joke ranking right? Coppell is nowhere near first, I have no idea why people rank them so high, they are probably going to miss state. LD Bell is currently the best band in Texas (I mean, have you seen them?), while Timber Creek is certainly good they aren’t quite as good as LD Bell, though if they improve they might have a shot at winning state. Duncanville definitely has a shot at state, I think Waxahachie 4th, Keller 5th, and KC 6th.

This is the kind of post everyone here hates.     Ld bell hasn’t placed ahead of any of these bands.   In any competition.    They have improved from last year- but this bombastic attitude is just not welcome - and frankly it isn’t backed up on the field.     Bell isn’t the 30th best band in Texas currently.   Objectively.   But they likely will place high enough to advance - and it will be deserved.  

17 minutes ago, bigblackcontra said:

Coppell is honestly such a judge pandering show and tbh they peaked after 2021. Sure, they're loud but that double tongue feature is more dirty than my toilet after taco bell and their players and music overall are kinda mid. LD Bell Def running away with this one, Free thinkers choose LD Bell fore medals 

Tell me you are under 20 years old without telling me you are under 20 years old.     Kinda mid.  

1 minute ago, Dallas Hobbs said:

Btw I wanted to compliment SLC’s flute soloist on SLAYING his solo I mean OMG his doubling-tonguing, quality of timbre in the upper register, and dexterity were stunning! It was so professional 

Yeah that’s definitely one my favorite solos of the season. I remember being wowed the first time I heard it at prosper!

22 minutes ago, DFWSpinz said:

What about Mansfield?

Mansfield's show was alright, really love the capes in their show, but I feel like Mansfield is another one of those programs that have fallen off post-Covid. Like in 2018 (the last area before covid) they got 10th and made finals. In 2021, they got 14th and in 2022, they got 19th. Hope they get their glory back sometime in the future.

10 minutes ago, Gehrig4 said:

This is the kind of post everyone here hates.     Ld bell hasn’t placed ahead of any of these bands.   In any competition.    They have improved from last year- but this bombastic attitude is just not welcome - and frankly it isn’t backed up on the field.     Bell isn’t the 30th best band in Texas currently.   Objectively.   But they likely will place high enough to advance - and it will be deserved.  

Not that I condone the other behavior from others on this chat, but this is also not true- Bell rightfully won Prosper prelims by nearly a full point and placed above all other Area B competitors (except for Coppell) in Bedford finals. They are a true force this year. Coppell also has a lovely show. Both of these things can be true :)

46 minutes ago, Starwar said:

This has gotta be a joke ranking right? Coppell is nowhere near first, I have no idea why people rank them so high, they are probably going to miss state. LD Bell is currently the best band in Texas (I mean, have you seen them?), while Timber Creek is certainly good they aren’t quite as good as LD Bell, though if they improve they might have a shot at winning state. Duncanville definitely has a shot at state, I think Waxahachie 4th, Keller 5th, and KC 6th.

I can’t tell if this is serious or not, but in case it is, Bell was defeated by Coppell at BOA Dallas and objectively is behind the LISD trio and several Austin and Houston schools